Do you consider sex to be a recreational activity?

Still waiting for someone to say that for them sex is a professional activity.

My wife and I have six kids between us. I’m 47 and she’s 45. We can no longer have children, but still have sex 3-5 times a week, so yes it would classify as recreational. However, I think that regards of being able to get pregnant sex is necessary for bonding and expressing out love for each other.

A don’t have a child between us and since e both love kids we would probably have another if we could. But, that isn’t possible. We’ve looked into adoption, I’ve got my eye on this 17 year old French girl.

Straight male 65. It’s the best exercise in the world!

Straight cis female, thirtysomething. I consider it a psychological necessity. I have in the past had f-buddies to whom I wasn’t particularly attached. Happily I’m now married and rather fond of my husband.

Female, hetero, married, 52. Never wanted kids so sex has always been recreational, except a couple times back in the day when it was a way to make someone stop talking and eventually go away.

The programming equivalent is called “algorasm”.

Male, straight, when it’s not used for reproduction.

Male. Recreational. To paraphrase Woody Allen, it’s the most fun you’ll ever have without laughing.

Male. Yes.

What a strange OP–and not recreational strange.

Does this count?

I was going to say mostly re but a few times pro.

47, male, straight, recreational, but I’d consider going pro for the right customer.

Does the barter system count for pro?

SHetM, early 50s. Recreational with personal-bond building if you can bundle them together.

OK so from what we have so far the possible overlapping categories are:

A: Procreational
B: Recreational/Hedonic(*)
C: Ritual/Devotional
D: Emotional/Bonding
E: Professional
F: Criminal
G: Therapeutic

(*which IMO does NOT necessarily mean “casual” in the often used sense of zipless promiscuity)

In some common religious beliefs, A, C and D overlap.
For the case of E, it would almost necessarily simultaneously involve B for the customer; or perhaps G.
As mentioned, F can be also B for the perpetrator.

… hmm… as usual when it comes to sex, it gets complicated. Surprise.

Always recreational . . . an expression of love, giving and receiving pleasure, an end in itself.

Gay male, 68

I guess it depends on what you mean by “recreational.” It’s fun and I certainly haven’t got any practical use for it, so in that sense it’s recreational. At the same time, it certainly doesn’t rise to the level of a hobby or anything. If somebody asked what I do for fun, it wouldn’t make the list.

For me, sex seems fairly esoteric.

Recreation? Hell, no! It’s work, plain and simple - drudgery of the worst kind! Go in clean and come out covered in filth - ugh! Why, I would trade every personal experience with the stuff, past and present, for a nice, cold root beer (frosted mug optional).

I also lie about other stuff.

Hmmm… two in a row. We’re all supposed to know what “cis” means now? I can never remember.

We’ve had prostitutes on the board, not sure if they’ll post here, but they’ve posted in the past. Can’t recall any names offhand.

I’d add therapeutic, based on some other responses … sex done strictly to make the other person feel better.