Do you eat the soft chicken bones?

John Bredin, Lute Skywatcher, and sitchensis, you guys are cool, you know what I’m talking about. The rest of you, next time you think you’re finished with your chicken, but you’re still a little hungry, you’ll think of this thread, wherein I dared you to eat chicken bones.

I’m not saying they’re soft like a marshmallow. I’m saying they’re chewable, if you’re willing to put a little effort into it.

Right, you boil the bones to get the flavor. What does that tell you? That there’s a lot of flavor in those bones! Mmmm… bones.

That’s about the level that I’m at, although I haven’t bothered with chicken ribs. But just crunching on the entire neck? That makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it.

I’ll take “Things that are weird for a thousand” Alex.

That is fucking foul. And fowl.

I leave a bit of meat on the bone, usually.

Joe

It’s not a big deal and I would if I had a limited supply of food and was pretty hungry. We all would as it would be delicious if your at that hunger point… Everytime? No, it is being greedy if you have a kitchen with food in it.

I give all that gross stuff to the dogs, including the soft bones. They don’t get the leg bones due to reports that they’ll splinter in the intestines and kill them, although frankly I’m a bit dubious that that would actually happen.

Personally, I’m pretty picky about the cleanliness of my chicken meat, I can’t even handle veins.

Having eating some pretty offbeat things in my days (especially for a white guy from the rural Midwest), I’m not quite in the “eww” camp, but I can’t imagine doing that. Gristle and bones are just…unpleasant.

I can only assume the OP would love Dim Sum chicken feet, since my recollection is that they’re basically hunks of gristle and bone with a chewy exterior.

The ends of chicken thigh bones and leg bones are mostly cartilage, and are perfectly edible, delicious, and good for your hair and nails.

I like to bite off these knobs and chew them until only a little crumb of brown bone (I guess it’s a kneecap) is left. As for the chicken bone marrow, I’ll only go after that if I feel like it.
It has sort of a coppery blood taste to it. I’m a lapsed Jehovah’s Witness, so eating the marrow has a delightfully naughty undertone for me. Hey, some people love the taste of blood. Black puddings, Polish duck blood soup, there’s gotta be something to it.

I like beef marrow spread on bread, but I’ve only had it a couple of times. I can’t eat too much of it. It’s very rich, and I soon get a little queasy from overindulging, but not from the taste which is heaven.

I often like to take the chicken ribs, and put them one by one between an upper and lower tooth and pull. Mmmmmm. It’s like marrow, but not so pronounced in flavor.

I also love gnawing on beef and pork bones. Ox tail, oh my freakin’ god!

Sometimes, I think I enjoy the bones of meat more than the meat. The bones are certainly more fun. Plus there’s the satisfaction of knowing I’m wasting absolutely nothing of my food.

I threw up your throw up.

Chicken breast bones creep the hell out of me. I couldn’t imagine eating them.

No, man! I had some soup at one of those places once, and when I picked up my spoon and saw that thing, I almost jumped out of my chair!

Greedy? Maybe you’re being wasteful to throw out perfectly good, edible parts of a chicken. What, you think you’re too good to eat chicken bones?

This is the best post in this thread. Thank you.

Are you the people who left a puke trail on the El platform last night? 'Cause that was gross.

If someone ate chicken in that manner in front of me, I would possibly lose my dinner. I would definitely have to leave. I can appreciate chewing on a good bone, but that’s just too far.

As I said above, I do it, I love it, but in response to SDT, I would never do it in front of mixed company.

On the other hand, in the unlikely event we ever started dating you would be slowly indoctrinated into the right way to eat chicken.

I used to eat at a BBQ place that somehow cooked the chicken to where the bones would dissolve in your mouth, at least the smaller bones. The larger ones took a little more chewing, but those too would dissolve. The owner would just say that he cooked the chicken for a whole day. It closed down about 20 years ago. I’d love to know how he cooked it.

I’ll eat certain parts of the bone, but not the whole thing. And only on the really good chicken (i.e. locally fried).

I am also intrigued by what sounds like actual barbecued chicken, if it’s cooked for that long. I’ve been told that true barbecue chicken was impossible.

Yum. Cartilage is the best part of the leg. I would totally eat chicken feet. Pigs ears are tasty too.

Some friends and I go to this BBQ place sometimes, and I always get the beef ribs. On the odd occasion when my friends order them too, there’s always all this meat left on the bone when they’re done. I think they don’t know how to eat beef ribs, because when I’m done, the bones on my plate look like they’ve been bleaching in the desert sun for three weeks. And these are those big, dinosaur-looking ribs that tipped over Fred Flintstone’s car.

Most chicken feet I’ve had have been mostly a gooey, gluey exterior over foot bones. The non-bone stuff comes off pretty easily, so there’s not really any purpose in gnawing on the bones.

If I get some chicken that’s cooked just right, I do something very similar. But I pick out the hard bits from the neck and ribs.

Mmmmm marrow.

HEY there is one more person out there that eats like me; I figured I was the only strange one, but having a family of five, hubby and three kids and then me, I found after cutting up a chicken for us five, I was left mostly with all the meat around the bones.

Two breasts, two thighs, and would keep the two drumsticks incase anyone wanted more chicken, which was always the case. So I would eat a tiny strip of breast meat with the two wings, and what ever else I could get off the bones, have always loved cartilage, but then tried the neck bones once, and oh gosh they were good too! The carcass of the chicken was completely clean when I got done with it. LOL

Now of course in public, I would ask for my bones to go, and eat them in private when I got home, since almost everyone would be like gross by it.

Beef rib bones, pork and lamb bones too, all get cleaned completely if the meat has been well cooked !!! Especially beef rib bones and they must come home with me too, for they are way too big for me to clean up at a restaurant. LOL

Anyway I just googled to see if there were any body else out there that cleaned their bones like me. This is the only thread I found where someone else has admitted to everything I do. I’ve been doing this for over half my life actually.

Now for all those that think we are weird,
I have really strong nails and bones, and hardly ever drink milk.
My hair is extremely healthy, and has never been coloured to cover the small grey I have.
I’m just completing my 50th year, and always get guessed I’m in my mid 30’s instead.

I’ve read once the benefits of bones is good for bones and hair,
and I have to say it has worked for me.

Plus how about the benefit of shark cartilage, really the shark who eats all the other swimming things in the oceans, has a cartilage that has healthy benefits for us, you really think it is the only cartilage out there that would have some benefits for us?

Thanks for your post cuauhtemoc ! At least I am not alone, sure glad you and I don’t live under the same roof, for we would have to fight for the bones ! LOL

Oh and FYI
was so glad to know I’m not the only one like this,
had to register today and post this reply,
so that all others that one day come along and read this,
know there are more like you !

Karen