Do you feel and look your age?

Whatever “looking your age” means to you, does your image/definition/perception of a person of your age match what you see in the mirror?

Yesterday, my husband said he thought I saw myself as an old woman. I was born in January, 1954, which makes me 67 as I write this. I’m retired, drawing social security, I have a Medicare card, and when I was in my 20s, my grandparents were in their 60s, ergo old. But for me right now, it’s a different perception.

I don’t “feel” 67, whatever that should mean, and I don’t think I look it. Thanks to paternal genes, I have not yet sprouted a gray hair. And I recently lost a lot of weight, so my legs and arms are decidedly saggy and wrinkly, but my face really isn’t all that lined. Honestly, my eyes to me are the biggest things that betray my age - I no longer feel safe driving at night because of astigmatism and depth perception.

My husband is nearly 3 years younger than I am, and what hair he still has is mostly gray and white, and has been for some time - just like his dad. He was being given senior discounts in his 50s.

Yeah, this thread is rambly - cut me some slack, I’m old!! :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe I’d see myself differently if I were gray or more wrinkly or somewhat infirm. But I still push the lawnmower along the ditches in front of our house and I still hang my laundry out on the lines when weather permits, and apart from somewhat fumbling fingers and dozing in my recliner while watching TV at night sometimes, I really don’t feel much different from when I was in my 30s. I’m not sure what I thought old would be, but this doesn’t seem to be it. Weird.

I’ll be 60 at the end of Nov. I guess I look my age? I don’t really know. I don’t much like the way I look, but that’s probably because I don’t feel 60. I’m overweight and a bit saggy and wrinkly, but I’ve still got hair long enough to tuck into my belt, and while there’s a good bit of (ahem) ‘natural highlights’ in it, I’m by no means grey. Don’t really care if I do go grey though, I’ve never colored my hair so why start now?

I don’t see myself as old, though. I’m irritated when my joints won’t do the things they did when I was 20, because I still (mostly) do the things I did then. Perhaps with a titch more caution, but not much. I ride horses, and I love nothing better than to gallop and jump. At work I’m the one who clambers up the ladder into the awkward storage area, and moves boxes around on the very top shelving. Hell, somethimes it’s easier to just climb the shelves without the ladder :stuck_out_tongue:

My body knows it’s 60, my brain thinks we’re 20.

I’m in my very early 50s, and I look and feel old. Many years of extreme stress, and then getting COVID (with bonus long hauler symptoms) plus the other stressors associated with the pandemic, have aged me rapidly.

In a space of 5 years, I went from “whoa, attractive” to fat, old and grey. My hair is entirely silver, and I’m 60 lbs overweight. Because I’m exhausted and overweight, I go for comfort at all times; I’m not making any best-dressed lists. Between COVID symptoms and perimenapause, I’m always exhausted. I’m too sedentary, because I’m exhausted and don’t feel well, and I hurt from being sedentary and arthritis, and a body that just seems determined to be angry all the time.

In short, do not like. Would not recommend.

I let my hair go grey as a result of the pandemic, and I am pretty consistently being offered the senior discount now even though I’m not old enough yet to qualify for it. So I guess that one thing has significantly aged me!

As far as feeling my age (I’m 59), some days I do and some days I do not. I do have a few health issues that are the kind of thing that affect older people, and are a reminder that I’m not 20 anymore. I can still do the things I have always done, for the most part, though I don’t like driving at night any more if I can avoid it for the same reason the OP states.

I’m 42. I still get acne and my hair isn’t too gray, and being overweight has kept my skin wrinkle-free. I don’t look as old as some of my peers. My 44 year old brother is totally gray. If I told you I was 30 you’d believe me but then again what does a 30-year-old or 40-year-old look like?

My body is feeling its age. The aforementioned weight has not been kind to my back or my hip. I probably fall within the median for how bad people in their 40s feel. Many people my age feel fine.

In my mind I still feel like a child. I don’t have kids so I feel like a kid myself. It’s only recently that my nieces became preteens so I get a glimpse into what “being a kid today” means and I am finally starting to feel removed from the culture. But I definitely see others as “the adult in the room”…not me.

I turned 60 in June. I have a full head of hair with a receding hairline, and most of it is black. I have some gray on the sides. I feel young and I “think young” (whatever that means). I get along well with coworkers in their 20s.

I know I’ve slowed down significantly since my 30s. I was pretty athletic years ago — regular basketball, baseball/softball, football leagues, and tennis. Today my tennis strokes are decently good, and I can still throw a tight spiral with zip and accuracy.

I think it’s cool being 60. I don’t ever want to grow up.

Mentioned it here and other places online before - but here we go again!

When I was first cognizant of others, scientists say that it is roughly at 5 years old we start having continuity with people in our circles - other than immediate family, so grandparents, uncles/aunts, cousins and friends, it was 1966, and my grandparents were in their late 60s [both born roughly turn of the century] so my memories are of my grandmother Isabel as a tiny blue haired grandmotherly type, sitting around teaching me fine needlework and trying to teach me knitting [not] and doing the go to the beauty parlor every week for a rinse and set. She had a maid of all work so she didn’t cook and clean, though honestly she could actually cook when she wanted to.

I turn 60 this month. I have some serious health issues - most of my joints are knackered, been dealing with 2 different forms of cancer for the past 6 years, have diabetes and high blood pressure [the BP issue is actually neurological, my heart and blood vessels are actually in quite good condition] and my hair is now half grey. But I don’t feel old, just infirm from the joint damage. If that makes sense. I understand I have physical limitations - but mainly because it hurts to do shit, not because I don’t want to do shit. Other than the aches and pains, I don’t feel any different than when I was 20. I would love to go skydiving, or ride a steeplechase, or go hike Yellowstone, or wander around a major museum without having to worry about wheelchair access.

I am 60 but most people at work think I am 50. I dont correct them as I dont want to be considered too old for advancement.

My wife and I are 75, but compared to others our age we don’t look it. I’ve always looked younger than my years, and at one point grew facial hair to look older. My wife comes from good genetics also. When her mother was 85 and debilitated by a stroke, she looked like she was in her 60s.

@ 54, I have all my hair, still measure the length in “Beatle Years” (right now I’m around early 1965 - when it gets to June '66 lengths and thickness, then I get it cut). Still have tons of energy (my ability to never be groggy on waking up is apparently enviable, my ability to fall asleep on demand, contemptable). Still planning my life in 20 year chunks, etc. No health issues. Really don’t feel much in the ways of regrets or anything about my life, it was as it was.

So, no. Not even close.

I look younger than my age. I also think I’m an above-average driver. Seriously though, people are sometimes stunned and even infuriated when they learn my age. The infuriated ones are typically friends of friends who seem to resent the presence of a younger guy. You know the type: doesn’t stop smiling but is clearly going out of his way to shoot you down. The subject of age eventually comes up, and the friend of a friend finally stops smiling and practically shouts, “There’s no way you’re my age!” The best is when I get to reply, “You’re right. I’m older! Man, you look like shit!

I’m 46, and I think I look perhaps slightly younger, but around 40. I feel like I’m in my mid-30s. Every so often I realize I’m 46 and that feels just so odd to me, for some reason. Only started happening this year. Never really much thought about my age before, but I suppose it’s like a mid-life crisis sort of thing, without any real sort of crisis, just a realization of where I’m at. I still feel physically well, a bit less energy than normal, but that can also be attributed to some medication I’m taking. Mentally, I feel a little slower than in my 20s, of course, but not too slow. Emotionally, I feel much older and wiser and more appropriate for someone of my age. Definitely have a lot more perspective and less stress and worry than in my 20s and 30s. Much more at peace with myself, others, and the world than when I was younger.

I’m 56, with a little gray on my noggin and a lot in my beard. I’m not exactly ripped, but can go to the beach with my shirt off without shame. The muscles in my legs say I could still run a marathon, but the joints say, “don’t even think about it.”

I wrote a mini-rant here a couple of years back about how (imo) Keanu Reeves doesn’t look young, he just looks better than people think 50-somethings should (or can). So, I think I look my age, and I definitely feel it - but I’m regularly told I don’t look nearly 60.

That said, moving to KY has taught me where such impressions come from. People here for the most part dont take care of themselves, and see the results of that lack of care as just… normal aging. I’ve watched 20-something coworkers just steadily put on 50lbs or more over 7 years, claiming it’s inevitable. Pretty much everyone over 40 has a litany of maladies and medications, and wraps up with “Well, what can you do?” Stop smoking/chewing? Drink less? Eat less? Eat healthy? Exercise? Floss?

I just turned 76, and I could still pass for late 50s. My hair is still dark brown, though I have a gray beard. No wrinkles except for two vertical frown lines. I’ve been told I look angry, but not old. My mom didn’t have any wrinkles either, even when she died at 92.

How do I feel? Though I have a very positive mental attitude, I’m physically past my expiration date. 76 is the new 96.

Sure seems like it. Joint aches and pains, but not serious enough for replacement yet. Skin on my hands and arms is getting a little crepe-y, probably from all that sun exposure over the years. Arthritis in my hands, but not yet disabling. It could all change in another five years, but no sense thinking about that too much.

I’m a few weeks shy of 71. For most of my adult life I looked (and sounded) at least ten years younger than my age. When I hit 65 I started to look more my age. Exactly the same as happened to my father.
My mother looked at least ten years younger than she was, right up to her death at 90.
So here I am at 71, looking about 5 years younger, but feeling at least five years older. Not complaining. Aches and pains notwithstanding I’m thoroughly enjoying old age.

I’m assuming that’s what’s behind the stiffness in my fingers, and maybe the clumsiness. I have found that when I use the massager on my husband’s legs, I find that the vibrations seem to make my hands less stiff. I should probably sit and hold it every day and see if that makes a difference, but the thing is noisy and, frankly, I have too much to do to be sitting around letting my hands buzz. If they start to hurt more, we’ll revisit.

I’ve always looked younger than my age. At age 28, people said I looked 18-20. At the age of 33 now, I still look maybe 26-28 ish, and I feel like a 25-year old.

I’m 43. I guess I feel pretty young. I don’t feel like I’m aging as quickly as my friends. They mostly seem to have issues like failing eyesight, weight gain, back pain, lethargy, high blood pressure, and so on. I don’t have any issues like that.

I was talking with one of my parent’s friends, who was talking about his son. He mentioned at one point that he should put us in contact; we look to be about the same age. Turns out the son is 29. Well, he’s in a blue collar industry so maybe he’s been rougher on his body.