Do You Feel Loyalty or Connection To Your State?

Reading all the threads about the EU made me think of this. I know the EU isn’t a United States of Europe, but I thought I’d ask people in the USA (or Canada or Australia or if your country has states), do you feel loyalty to it?

Like I’m from Illinois, I don’t feel any real loyalty to it. I’ve lived in other states, and to me it’s all America, one state is as good as another. I never think, “I’d never live in New York” or “I’d never live in California.”

No matter what state I am in, I don’t feel any loyalty or connection to it.

I’m originally from Philadelphia although I’ve been living in Montreal for a good long time. But I spent 26 years in Philly. Once when I went to a meeting in Pittsburgh accompanied by a grad student who was a native French Canadian (from Sherbrooke in fact). He asked me if I felt any frisson from being in my home state. In Pittsburgh? Now I have nothing against Pittsburgh, but no I felt no attachment to Pennsylvania, although I do to Philadelphia.

Canadians are different. They seem to relate much more to their province than to Canada. I have a friend who has introduced me as “being from Pennsylvania”. I had to explain to him that that description clanked. I am from the US or from Philadelphia, but I would never describe myself as being from Pennsylvania.

I believe that many southerners feel different about this.

I agree completely. I’m also from Philly. I guess I feel the slightest loyalty to the state–I mean, I like it fine. But similar to your experience, I was once asked if I rooted for the Steelers in the Super Bowl because they were from my state. Um, no, not really. They might as well be from Colorado or Tennessee. Nothing against Pittsburgh. In fact, I like it fine. I like Kansas City fine, too. I don’t like Pittsburgh more because it’s in Pennsylvania.

Now, Philly, that city I love and brag about.

I feel a lot of loyalty to my state, and some of my identity is tied to the fact that I’m a Texan. However, I will admit that some of the people that are also Texans are quite embarrassing to be associated with.

And I just want to take this opportunity to say that I have ALWAYS voted against Rick Perry. Always. Even when the other candidates are nearly as odious.

I’m Lynn Bodoni, and I do not endorse Rick Perry.

Not really. I just stay here since it’s easier and cheaper than up and moving.

Regardless of where I am I’d always be from Chicago. I don’t think I say I’m from Illinois very much.

Yup, I’m a Minnesotan through and through. If I were kicked out of the state for some reason and had to live elsewhere I could probably tolerate northern Wisconsin, but I’d always feel homesick.

This is my reasoning, though it’s also because friends and family are in the area.

I don’t think there is anything overly special about the state, that I’d be especially loyal or feel any actual connection, but then that’s also a function of my personality (I could say the same about sports teams, schools, etc. for example). Just not me.

There is no such word as Minneapolisan, as Chicagoan, is there?

Not really. Part of it may be that I moved frequently as a child and now live in a different state than I was born in. But in general I’m not that dedicated of a homer. Oh, I do like CA and the Bay Area a great deal. But loyalty per se doesn’t really enter into it. I certainly don’t feel any responsibility for any moral transgressions by my fellow Californians. Though decades ago I did have to swear an oath to uphold the State Constitution, which I’m sure is on file somewhere, witnessed and notarized ;).

In general my own experience has been that the most dedicated and consistent state boosters and identifiers tend to be Texans. My favorite HS teacher ( a huge CA booster himself ) used to muse that he found that trait most common in CA and TX and speculated that it is because they were once briefly independent. Much as I liked him, I always thought he was full of shit re:CA at least :).

I grew up in the suburbs of St. Louis, but haven’t lived there in years. I might tell people I’m from St. Louis, but never in a million years would I say I’m from Missouri. It’s not that I’m anti-MO, but the relevant identification is with the city, not the state.

My in-laws, on the other hand, live in the suburbs of Charleston, SC. I’ve noticed that they always refer to where they live as South Carolina. Also, the kids talk about going to visit their grandparents in either St. Louis or South Carolina. It just seems to be a different way of thinking about place and community.

I grew up in Florida. I still think of it as home, even though I have actually now lived longer in California than I did in Florida. As a 15 year old girl, I would never have dreamed I’d end up in California. We Floridians felt a lot of animosity to that other coast. But life is funny that way.
I’d leave California and never look back if I could take my family with me.

Kentucky born, Kentucky bred, and when I die I’ll be Kentucky dead.

It helps that there are three different places within the state that I think of as “home”, so what I miss when I’m away is more of an aggregate of the whole state than a specific location.

Besides, Kentucky kicks ass.

I think that many Southerners, like me, feel a certain loyalty to their states that comes out as defensiveness.

ETA - also South Carolina’s flag kicks all of your butt-ugly state flags’ asses.

I quite often think I’m more of a Floridian than an American (I’m an immigrant, incidentally). I love Florida, and I couldn’t really give a crap about the rest of the country. On the other hand, I’ll probably be glad for the rest of the country in 40 years when Florida is underwater.

I’m a California native, and I’ve lived here all my life except for a couple of years when my dad was stationed at Pearl Harbor. I’ve driven all over the US and I love visiting other states, but for me, California has it all.

This country is composed of California and 49 lesser states.

My country, Canada, yes I feel a fierce loyalty to it. My province, Ontario, Nope. Ontario is going down the crapper and if my husband and I were in a position to pack up & move our asses to another province we’d do it in a heartbeat.

The Texas Observer set up a special mini-site to gather reasons why this governor of Texas shouldn’t go any higher. Of course, he made those arguments unnecessary once he opened his mouth… (And I voted against both Bushes, too!)

I enjoy much about being a Texan & hope to help make my state a better one. But all the other states have some fine people (& a few assholes); if my life had gone differently, I’d be a New Englander…

I think DC has a lot to offer and I try to enjoy it. I like were I live and I feel an obligation to try to keep it nice and improve upon it. I guess that’s loyalty, but as a Washingtonian, I have loyalty to the un-state.

There are definitely places in the US where I wouldn’t want to live, but there are other places besides DC where I could see myself living and enjoying it.