Do you get anything from peanuts? - This may be gross

I was wondering if there is any nutritional value to peanuts. They don’t seem to do much, digestion wise.

I heard that you can smoke the “skins” from raw peanuts and get some sort of a buzz. (That can be considered a value to some people)

hmm you said this might be gross, I’m not sure why but don’t forget we’ve talked about inhaling boogers, smelly farts, nose picking and flicking, countless sex threads and who knows what else, I think we’ll be able to handle the digestive system. (BTW I’m not trying to turn this thread into a list of gross topics we’ve discussed)

–Please resume normal thread discusion–

Formerly known as Nec3f on the AOL SDMB

Peanuts are an great source of protein. I’m not going to bother looking up their vitamin and mineral values. Go www.ask.com if you want that.

…it has never been my way to bother much about things which you can’t cure.

• A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court-Mark Twain

::shudder:: I feel that rare surge of sarcasm coming on…

No, dk, peanuts have no nutritional value. Rather they are nano-robots designed by the CIA to manipulate IS workers the world over. When Y2K comes and civilization as we know it ends, the CIA will use these robots to cross-wire their brains and make them into slaves to preserve the CIA’s base of power and make final world domination possible.

Yeah, I know. That was pretty bad. I don’t get much practice at it. THought I’d give it shot though. ::Sigh:: maybe pldennison will give me lessons!

Bunny, I only give lessons in profane abuse. If you want sarcasm lessons, you have to make an appointment with CKDextHavn or tomndebb. :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, I can also fill in with withering cynicism and self-righteous mockery.

BunnyGirl, I’m proud of you! You’re becoming a smartass! Keep working at it; all is takes is practice. :slight_smile:

Can u relly smoke penuts how?

pl, I’ll take Withering Cynicism for $100…

Strainger, actually if you knew me in person, you’d already know I am a smartass. However, I’m usually too afraid of hurting someone’s feelings to make it verbal!! Maybe with some good counseling by my fellow SD’ers I can break through roadblock! :wink:

::ahem:: thisroadblock.

Sorry. Carry on.

you cant get a buzz from peanuts, but I know for a fact that you can get really high snorting laundry detergent, that is the powdered soap that we use to wash clothes with.

Peanuts are NOT a great source of protien. Peanuts are great source of FAT and most likely salt and to some extent, fiber.
If your looking for protein you can do much better than peanuts.

[Insert Clever Quote Here]

By gosh you’re right kellibelli, it blew my mind away :wink: :wink:

Sweet, E

As long as we are on the topic of cheap ways to get stoned, try drinking wet cement. It rocks.

Falcon2, where did you get your numbers 'cause mine are different. From www.cyberdiet.com , I got the following information for dry roasted, unsalted peanuts (1 cup):

Serving Size: 144g
Calories: 842
Total Fat: 72g
Saturated Fat: 10g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 9mg
Total Carbohydrates: 31g
Dietary Fiber: 12.0g
Protein: 34g
Vitamin A: 0%
Vitamin C: 0%
Calcium: 8%
Iron: 18%

In doing the nutritional profile this site will do for you (based on my height: 64"; weight: 115lbs; activity level: very high; body size: small and age: 31), it was recommended that I have 41.8gm of protein a day. I would say that peanuts qualify as a great source of protein in this case, since a one cup serving would provide me with 81% of my recommended daily requirement. However, they are pretty fatty so that’s a different story if you’re trying to lose weight and already have a high fat diet (which I don’t, being vegetarian).

By the way, that whole site looked pretty informative for anyone who was looking for nutritional or healthy eating information.

BunnyGirl, evidently a single serving according to cyberdiet is 4-5 times as large as a serving according to falcon2’s source. There is a discrepancy with the iron percentage, though.

Yah, I noticed that too. Maybe Falcon2 was using the info on one of those little peanut packs. It’s amazing how definitions of a “serving” can vary. I don’t think a cup is over the top for a serving size, though. At least, not for me.

BunnyGirl
My numbers are from Jewel in-shell roasted peanuts, 24 Oz bag.
Serving Size 1/2 CUP
Using your numbers, your going to go overbudget on fat to get your recommended protein.
If your a rabid vegitarian, its probably ok beacuse most vegetables dont have a whole heck of a lot of fat, and your not going to eat just peanuts.
But most people,americans in particular, dont have any problem at all getting enough fat.
So considering the Surgeon General’s fat guidelines here are some great sources of protein:
Skim milk 9g protein/0g fat
Pinto Beans 8g protein/0g fat
Tuna 13g protein/.5g fat
Turkey Breast 15g protein/1g fat
Then you got
Peanuts 7g protein /13g fat

Not great.

With reguards to dkgreath original question, as discussed, peanuts are a significant source of fiber and protein and fat. Alos, as with most solid foods [bold]CHEWING PROPERLY[/bold] will greatly improve absortion of these nutrient “digestion wise.”

[Insert Clever Quote Here]

[…If your a rabid vegitarian, its probably ok beacuse most vegetables dont have a whole heck of a lot of fat, and your not going to eat just peanuts…] Falcon2

Aren’t all rabids vegetarian anyway?

Gary

“Why do they measure diamonds in carrots? Why not spuds? Darling, I want you to have this 25 spud diamond, mined in Idaho!”