Do you give your vehicles names?

No, and I don’t really understand the practice of calling a vehicle by a name. I get stuff like “Old Red” for an old, red pick up truck or something like that. I totally don’t get calling your car George or some other human name.

Only one. It was a 1974 Chevy Nova hatchback with the godawful 250 cubic inch straight 6 engine. It was a beater when I bought it in 1982 and hadn’t been a performer when it was brand new. I did a little amateur body work on it and a friend of my dad’s painted it for me for free. He painted it black with leftover paint from another job. Somebody, my brother most likely, gave it the smart-ass nickname “The Black Mamba” and it stuck. I even called it that myself.

My car is known as “The Elf”, because “MY ELF” is the vanity plate that my wife got me as a birthday present a long time ago.

I had a 1970-something Plymouth Cricket in high school, it was a complete piece of crap; cracked dash covered with glued on indoor/outdoor carpet, door only opened by reaching through the vent window and jiggling the handle, and the exterior had been painted a nasty brown… with a paint brush. We called her Cow Pie, my dad would even use the name “come and get Cow Pie out of the driveway, I’m blocked in”.

Nope. My father had names for the first two cars that I remember: the '54 Ford was Betsy, and the '57 Ford was Lizzie.

The only car I ever sort of nicknamed was a very used '59 Plymouth station wagon that I called “The Tank”. Nothing slowed it down, whether mud, snow or ice.

We have small children and a giant scarlet Suburban, so he is inevitably Clifford the Big Red Truck. The Boy has a little old pickup truck, and various letters have been knocked off of the badges on each side - on the passenger side, it’s a “coma,” and a “Taco” on the driver’s side. So that’s Taco. My old Astro minivan used to be Old Betsy, because she was like a serviceable old mule at the farm - no style, but she always got the job done. I think she has changed her name now. I gave Betsy to my niece about 4 years ago, because I wanted to be sure that she had her own ride before moving away with her boyfriend. Betsy is still going and going and going, and is now Bunny. Last time I checked, 350k miles, and she still gets there eventually.

Always. Ships have names, so cars need them, too. My current ride is named Dulcinea. You can guess what I was reading at the time I bought her.

Previous cars have been Lorelei, Dawn, and Mona Lisa.

Not typically. But when I was growing up back in the 80s my parents owned a Chevy Impala station wagon that we named “The Hog of Steel”.

Toyota Prius: The Prius
Jeep Cherokee: The Jeep
MGB: The MG.
Yamaha YZF R1: The R1
Yamaha XJ600 Seca II: The Seca, or The Seca II
The Triumph Herald 1200 Convertible I used to have: Spiffy

I don’t but a friend of mine had an old Dodge Power Wagon that the ‘Po’ and fallen off of so it became the ‘wer Wagon’.

Yep.

The green Civic was Royal after Rob Orbison’s “Evergreen”, Almanzo Wilder’s brother Royal, and my Grandpa LeRoy.

The red Corolla was Digby after my Grandma’s initials DIG, since proceeds from her death paid for it.

The current dark blue Impreza is Fitzwilliam, after the dark, handsome and reliable Mr. Darcy.

I’ve never named my cars, but my sister had a friend with a mint blue/green Corvair. They called it the Crestmobile.

I got my first car when DS9 was on the air, and I liked the idea of a “host” (the car) and “symbiont”(the driver). So I named it Jadzia. For my second car, I kept with the theme, and named it “Ezri.”

My latest car, I’ve dropped that naming convention. But since my car is a black Chevy Sonic, I’ve gone for the pun and named it “Canary.”

Not only that, I name pretty much everything else.

I currently drive Phantom. Called such because right when I bought him I didn’t have a name, and it snowed, but it melted right away save for one patch around the headlight, which looked like the mask from Phantom of the Opera, I made the joke and thought “hey that’s a cool name!” and it’s stuck.

Yeah, I just use descriptive titles. “The Fiat”, “Old Truck”, “Big Truck” etc. and sometimes have to use color modifiers. “Red BMW” or “Black BMW”. I’ve got a “The”, “La”, “Das” and “Der” as well.

But the Jeep is, “Fuckin’ Jeep”. :stuck_out_tongue:

That is soooo not kosher! :smiley:

Not my car, but my scooters are Pepper, Buzzy, and Coquette.

Judy, Little Red, The Beast

Ahem. What about the FIT? La Cucaracha Azul. And Pepper was already mentioned, btw.

The yellow 1981 Pontiac Gran Prix I had in high school was the Bananamobile.

My 1978 Chevy Blazer was The Big Yellow Pill.

My current 2011 Scion xB is the Gobomobile.

You would probably hate my wife and me; we also name our coats. Mostly based on the logo on them. “Do you want a coat?” Yeah – toss me Twister".

For us it started because I had multiple bikes and tended to be gone different periods of time depending on which one I was taking. Sometimes much longer than I had planned if the day was right and the roads nice. And her, not being from a bike or car family, really didn’t know the difference between them. So as I headed out back towards the garage, had I said “I’m taking the 67 FLH” it wouldn’t have meant a thing to her - when I said “I’m taking Betty” she knew not to expect me back for multiple hours. “I’m taking the Turtle” and she knew I would probably be back in a couple hours.

We don’t name them all; some have zero personality or charm and aren’t around long enough to matter. But most have gotten some sort of name eventually.