Do you have songs that remind you of Thanksgiving?

I can only think of one that reminds me of Thanksgiving, I’m not sure what it is called but the first verse is: Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother’s house we go, the horse knows the way… etc.

Dunno why it reminds me of Thanksgiving, but it does.

What are yours?

Don’t know why? Maybe because it IS a song about Thanksgiving!

Me, I associate a lot of John Denver songs with Thanksgiving, just because during the Thanksgivings of my childhood, the whole family would gather in the living room, and sing while my uncle played the guitar. John Denver was one of the few performer whose songs everybody knew and liked, regardless of generation.

. . . twenty-seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, describing what each one was, to be used as evidence against us . . .

Gosh darn it, Scarlett67! I was gonna say Alice’s Restaurant. I guess I’ll go with For the Beauty of the Earth.

Good question! There’s a lot of (often campy) pop songs dealing with Halloween themes, and no shortage of songs about X-mas and the winter holidays in general, but not so many explicitly about Thanksgiving. OTTOMH I can’t think of a single one.
“Are you ready for some football?..” :wink: O.K., that’s the MNF theme, and on Turkey Day it’s usually Dallas vs. Detroit at, what, 1 or 2 PM?

“Harvest Festival” by XTC.

The quintessential Thanksgiving music would have to be Dvorak’s “New World” Symphony (No. 9), with some Aaron Copland on the side.

This is by Tom Lehrer. My family use to sing We Gather Together, but now we sing this one.

To the tune of “We Gather Together”

We gather together to ask the lord’s blessing
For turkey and dressing and cranberry sauce.
It was slightly distressing, but now we’re convalescing,
So sing praises to his name and forget not to floss.

Our nearest and dearest we don’t want confessing,
It’s sort of depressing to have them so near.
Our feelings supressing for lightly acquiescing,
And perfectly professing we’re glad they were here.

We gathered together and got the lord’s blessing
Of course we’re just guessing 'cause how can you tell?
Our stomachs are bloating, our kidneys nearly floating,
Hellos are very nice, but goodbyes can be swell.

Turkey for you
and turkey for me-
can’t beleive Tyson gave that girl VD

Hey, that is a good question. Why are there so few songs about Thanksgiving? The only thing that came to mind was the feeling that some old hymns might be appropriate – “Bringing in the Sheaves,” “We Gather Together,” even “How Can I Keep From Singing?”

“Alice’s Restaurant” by Arlow Guthrie is the definitive Turkey Day song for myself and my siblings and wife.

Jim

Turkey soup
turkey pie
Sammy davis Jr. only had 1 eye

*Thanksgiving
Is a special night
Jimmie Walker
Used to say ‘Dy-no-mite!’

Turkey for me and turkey for you
Let’s eat turkey in a big brown shoe
Turkey in the oven and the buns in the toaster
I’ll never take down my Cheryl Tiegs poster*

I could go on, but instead I’ll add “The Second Week of Deer Camp” by Da Yoopers, which is not about T’giving, but is seasonal.

It’s the second week of deer camp
And all the guys are here
We drink, play cards and shoot the bull
But never shoot no deer
The only time we leave the camp
Is when we go for beer
The second week of deer camp
Is the best time of the year