Do you have to be a Jew to become a citizen in Israel?

Do you have to be a Jew to become a citizen in Israel?

Does Israel have a constitution?

The answer to your first question is, no you don’t have to be a Jew to become an Israeli citizen, but it helps. Jews who immigrate to Israel get automatic citizenship, and non-Jews who immigrate have to apply for citizenship.

The vast majority of Israels (about 80%) are nominally Jewish, but that leaves 20% who are not…and most of those who are not are either Muslim or Christian Arabs.

Israel doesn’t have a single written constitution, but a number of “Basic Laws”, which set up how the government is structured and set out civil and natural rights for Israelis.

No, you do not have to be a Jew to become an Israeli citizen. There are plenty of Muslim, Christian, atheist and miscellaneous citizens there. However, Jews are guaranteed the right to emigrate to Israel.

Israel does not have a written constitution, as far as I know.

This site from the Israeli government covers acquisition of Israeli nationality by any of the following:

[quote]
[ul][li]Birth [/li][li]The Law of Return [/li][li]Residence [/li][li]Naturalization[/ul][/li][/quote]

This site, also from the Israeli govenrment states:

So, Israel does not now have a written constitution but will once the process described above is complete.

Hope this helps.

Does it count if I convert to Judaism?

AFAIK, it depended on who conducted the conversion. I believe the previous state of affairs was that only conversions performed by Orthodox rabbis were recognized for the Law of Return. This appears to have changed.

http://www.adl.org/Israel/JerusalemJournal/JerusalemJournal-990126-1.asp