Do you have to remind yourself to eat? Or make yourelf eat when you don't feel like it?

Me too. (Looks down at tummy).

It’s nice to know someone else does this also. I could have written this exact post, with the exception that I do actually *try *to eat lunch/afternoon food regularly. I’m never hungry for it, but I find that if I do eat, I sleep better and eat less later at night.

This describes me as well. I just don’t have much interest in food. If someone invested a pill that gave all of the nutrients needed for the day, I’d take it.

Before my gastric bypass surgery, in 2010, I was 85 pounds heavier and I had the opposite problem. Now, I often have to remind myself to eat.

This is why I’ve started drinking Slimfast for breakfast - one less meal I have to bother eating. I’m contemplating drinking it for lunch too.

And I haven’t gotten hungry normally for about a year. It started two or three days before I got a Lyme rash last July and my appetite never really came back the same way even after I finished all the antibiotics and no longer felt queasy from them. I mean, my stomach still growls when I’m hungry, but being hungry doesn’t feel uncomfortable like it used to, so it’s easy to ignore until it’s been close to a day without eating and I’m finally so hungry it hurts.

This is going to sound really lame and my nerd may show a bit, but this happens to me when I get a new video game that I am REALLY into. I don’t feel hungry, and I am so engrossed that feeding myself almost feels like a chore so I put it off for as long as possible. Also, when I’m working on game-related projects (mods, map making, etc), the same can apply. I have to honestly remind myself to take a break and go eat.

Otherwise, not at all. In fact, in order to maintain a healthy weight, I am often fighting feelings of hunger hours a day.

This…for the most part. When I used to eat at any time whether hungry or not, I weighed about 40 more lbs.

I have to eat a large amount to maintain my current weight, so I do not eat to satisfy hunger - I am always thinking ahead, meal-planning, and trying to get in some extra. I chose ‘make myself eat’. I usually can’t go without calories for long without experiencing intense hunger, and normally I snack constantly (working with food FTW) and also eat two large meals during the day.

I do lose my appetite completely when my depression and anxiety flare up, but those episodes are thankfully rare these days.

With my IBS, sometimes I have to force myself to eat something even though I know it’ll hurt later. (Eating anything usually causes me at least some pain) And sometimes I have to remind myself to eat because I’ve completely forgotten.

Recovering from Knee surgery, (new knee). The pain killers really messed me up. It was like being sea sick for 60 days. I ate not because I was hungery, but because I knew I would get sicker if I did not eat. Sometimes I just jamed as much food down as I could. I ended up loosing over 30 pounds.

Next time the Drs and I will sit down to diiscuss pain management and what they are going to do different, or I will continue tolimp around.

I both have to remind myself to eat and make myself eat. But then I just had WLS.

Love food, love eating and it shows. I find being hungry a really uncomfortable feeling.

I only eat one meal a day, usually in the evening.

Even then, I’m not usually “hungry,” but I certainly am not going to forget, and I don’t need to remind myself or to persuade myself. I love food! I even love boring, bad food! Chef Boy-Ar-Dee canned stuff is just fine with me!

When I’m in trial I frequently have to literally force myself to eat, like shove a cup of yogurt or a sandwich I have absolutely no appetite for into my mouth and choke it down. I don’t miss any meals but I may still lose a couple of pounds.

It does happen to me when I’m totally engrossed in a task. For example, a couple weeks ago we adopted a 9-month-old pitbull from the shelter, and I was charged with training it and getting it used to the household. I had to take it out every hour and a half or two hours at first to teach it to go pee and crap outside, took it out on three 1.5-2 mile walks a day, trained it basic commands, bought a crate to crate train it, etc. Every day for that first two week period, I had to remind myself to eat. It’d be 2 p.m., I’d be in a daze and wondering why I was feeling faint, only to realize that I hadn’t eaten any breakfast or lunch.

Stuff like this would happen in college, too, during finals week or any other intense, sleep-deprived periods of time.

These days, I usually find that I’m hungry for lunch, eat a normal meal, and then have to more or less force myself to eat dinner. A couple of times this week, I ate lunch at noon but only ate dinner around 8:30 pm - not because I was hungry but because I knew I’d be feeling it later (like when I’m going to bed) if I didn’t eat now. It’s really annoying, I’d much rather just be hungry again at 6 pm, make dinner and eat. I do that about 70% of the time, probably.

But forcing myself to eat because I know I should is a pretty common occurrence.

Me too. If I am nervous about something I have to remind myself to stop eating.

Vast majority of the time, I have to remind myself.

Also, I’m really fat.

I’m thinking maybe I should stop reminding myself.

If I am really focussed on something, I hate stopping to eat. Or pee. Or drink.

That’s why I make sure there is someone around when I am working outside in the heat. Left to my own devices, I will suffer heatstroke.

When I am not focussed on something, the effect is the exact opposite. I will constantly want to eat even though I shouldn’t. That is why one of my weight management tools is a good book. If I don’t want to put it down, I won’t waste time eating. (I don’t know why. I can snack in front of a tv show but not while reading a book.)

Coupled with the ongoing colitis problem, my appetite went out the window the day I was put on cymbalta for my arthritis. Because I cannot take anti-inflammatories due to kidney issues, the doc suggested the cymbalta.

Presto-chango, not only does the drug work well on me, the only side effect I’ve noticed is a dead appetite. So far, i’ve dropped about 30 pounds - pounds that clearly needed to go since i was carrrying near 200 on a 5’9" frame.

I look better and I feel better as a result - despite the colitis - which is still not under control, but I’m working on it.

Now the real challenge will be to maintain a proper weight when I don’t have an appetite and am still dealing with colitis!