Do you have to take Idiot Classes to get a Drivers license in VA?

Ok. I just recently moved to the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, and I must say, I like the area. However, I have never seen SO MANY CRAPPY DRIVERS. Where the fuck did these people learn to drive, Assholes Automobile Association?

In all my time driving up North, I can count on one hand the number of long traffic jams that were NOT due to an accident or road construction. In other words, traffic jams just caused by idiots who either don’t know how to merge, don’t know what lane is for what, or both.

Down here in VA, it seems that the left lane on a divided highway is not for passing. No, no, no, it’s for the FUCKNUTS who want to drive 60 MPH in a 65. Now, in every state, you get the occasional moron who wants to drive below the speed limit in the passing lane. It causes a minor hiccup now and then. Not in Virginia!!!

No, in Virginia, 50% of drivers use the passing lane as their own personal lane. It doesn’t matter if traffic is backed up behind them for a mile, and they’re moving exactly the same speed as the right lane, they stay put. Yup. Even flashing your lights and honking will not get these assholes to move their slow asses over to the correct lane of traffic.

Now, I understand that not everyone wants to go very fast on the highway. In fact, I rarely ever do more than 8 MPH over the limit. But, when I stop passing cars, I move over to the right hand lane, until I come upon another car that is going slower, then I move left and pass, and move back to the right. THIS KEEPS TRAFFIC GOING!!! WHY can’t Virginians get it in their heads that this is what the lanes are for.

In the 3 weeks I’ve been down here, I have been in over 10, yes 10 traffic jams, not during rush hour, not due to an accident, not due to construction, that lasted over 25 minutes. This area is NOT that heavily populated. I lived in NE Ohio, which has about 3.5 million people, and never had these problems. I’ve driven in Boston, NY, Buffalo, Columbus, etc, and not had these problems. Sure, I’ll get in a traffic jam during rush hour from time to time, but not at 2:40 on a Saturday! Today, I was in stop and go traffic for 20 minutes because a bunch of idiots were RUBBERNECKING at a car that was simply pulled off to the side of the road. Not an accident, but just pulled over.

Please, people…learn to fucking DRIVE!!!

(sorry, road rage pent up until I could release here on the SDMB)

Don’t come to the Atlanta area then.

A little sprinkle in one part of the city? Backs up traffic on the opposite side. Passing lane? Ha! That’s for the civilian speed limit enforcers. The right-hand lane is for those who want to go fast. Except on I-285. There, you must go 20 MPH over the speed limit or risk your life. The median is an acceptable lane when you want to go somewhere and people aren’t moving at the speed you want them too.

Car slowed down? Cop writing a ticket to someone? Gotta jam the brakes, because you wouldn’t want those people three miles back to move at the speed limit.

Welcome to the area, Jman. I’ve seen everything you described here. I’m glad I’m not the only one to see it. I was raised in suburban Maryland, where the drivers are sane, and like you, I’ve been all over the country and seen my share of good and bad areas. This place is one of the worst I’ve seen.

My favorite around here is the HRB Tunnel. For some mystifying reason, the drivers around here cannot maintain 55 through it. Despite numerous “Maintain 55 MPH” signs all over the place. This is done to keep traffic moving. The folks here seem to think it’s because the authorities think they’re going too fast in the tunnel. So, the idiots will slow to 40 or 50 on the exit incline if not as soon as they get into the tunnel. I don’t know how many times I’ve had to brake to a crawl on the way in when traffic is light. Drives me crazy.

Hehe, welcome to Newport News :slight_smile: I suggest not driving on Jefferson, Mercury, or anywhere near I-64–oh wait I-64 is everywhere… NO!

Actually, I haven’t had any problems on Jefferson as of yet, but I-64 is always bad. But, if you try to avoid I-64 by taking US-60, you find that 60 is just as bad as 64. Damn morons. Should we have a Hampton Roads dopefest?

Jman

Welcome to Hampton Roads! I’m glad I’m not the only person that thinks the drivers here stink.
Last saturday people were crawling through the HRBT at 30 mph. Then there’s 64 heading for Richmond a minimum of 2 seperate accidents between Newport News and Williamsburg every single saturday without fail.
Also, you will notice that solid white lines,and double solid white lines mean absolutely nothing here.

I’ll stop before steam starts coming through my ears.

Word of advice: Flashing your lights and honking can get you the ticket for agrressive driving if a cop catches you doing it.

Thanks Monty. I am very rarely that agressive, but I did it today because one lady absolutely refused to get over, and was blocking traffic for about a mile and a half behind her, going 60 in a 65, and there wasn’t enough room around her to the right to pass on that side. I usually give people about 30-40 seconds to notice me before I get really steamed. Then, I’ll give a little tap on the horn, just to give notice that I’m behind them, in case they dazed out and haven’t looked in their rear view mirror in a damn long time.

I’m usually one of those drivers that just goes with the flow, and whatever happens happens…but being down here is quickly turning me evil.

No. Even if you fail the exam you can still be licensed in VA, so they dropped the classroom requirement.

I used to live in Chesapeake. I know what I speak.

Virginia drivers in general, and Hampton Roads drivers in particular, have real problems in the rain. They drive way too fast, blast through standing water, and are amazed when they hydroplane or they can’t stop due to wet brakes.

Good luck with the idiots. Remember, when one tunnel is bad, the other is too.

I lived in Newport News from 1985-88, and I don’t remember the drivers there being particularly better or worse than anywhere else I’ve been. But there’s been plenty of time for things to change.

One of the things I loved about visiting Europe recently was the way they drive on the limited access roads (Autobahn/Autostrade/whatever). People use the passing lane for passing, and only for passing. And you’re expected to pass quickly, too: if you’re going to only go 5 kph faster than the car you’re passing (which would be an improvement for a lot of folks in the USA) you’d better have a lot of open road behind you.

The difference between here and there is that in Yurp, there’s a consensus that that’s how the roads should be used. In the USA, there’s no such consensus. People who want to enforce the speed limit by driving the posted speed in the left lane - the fucking idiots - can argue that they have the law on their side. And since the cops will pull you over for speeding, but not for blocking traffic in the left lane, it certainly seems that way.

Welcome to Hampton Roads, Jman. Nice rant BTW. You’ll quickly learn how to do most of your passing in the right lane between here and Richmond. Also, if you regularly commute from NN to the southside, get to know the shortcuts to bypass some of the tunnel traffic at the HRBT when it gets backed up to Rip Rap road.

Hiya JMan!

Welcome to my neck o’ the woods! Hope you like it here - I’ve lived here all my life, and love it.

I know exactly what you mean about the traffic - the roadwork is neverending, and once it’s over, it’s as if they somehow made it WORSE. Tunnels are terrible. Avoid all tunnels if you can.

BTW, I don’t mean to pry, but which part of the area did you move to? I’m in Virginia Beach, and work in Norfolk.

Just a small side point. Everyone complains about the Virginia drivers in the Hampton Roads/Norfolk/Virginia Beach area, and also the Northern Virginia Metropolitan area.

As an actual native Virginian, I would like to point out that these are the exact areas in the state with the highest percentage of folks, **WHO AIN’T FROM VIRGINIA.[\b]

Yeah, we noticed 'em too. Ya’ll want these turkey’s back? Fine with us.

Tris

Totally forgot!! You’re absolutely right, Trisk!! Especially all those out-of-state tags making 564 a parking lot between 6-7 in the morning and 3-4 in the afternoon. As a transplanted NoVa-ian, I think I can say that the 495 beltway makes Hampton Roads traffic look like a 12 lane highway with 6 cars on it.

Man, I sure learned that when I was in Italy too. You do NOT hang out in the left lane, even if you are going faster than the traffice in the right or middle lane. The car behind you going about eighty will get within what seems like inches of you bumper, and immediately flashing their lights, honking, etc. When you do merge back right, you are likely to also be treated to a show of a certain finger or other gesture.

I also discovered that you do not use the right lane of a three lane divided road for passing either.

I did like the fact that the basic rental cars we got were Alfa Romeos. That was pretty sweet, but it was hard to get used to the fact that they are supposed to be pushing 4500 rpms for highway driving.

Man, I sure learned that when I was in Italy too. You do NOT hang out in the left lane, even if you are going faster than the traffice in the right or middle lane. The car behind you going about eighty will get within what seems like inches of you bumper, and immediately start flashing their lights, honking, etc. When you do merge back right, you are likely to also be treated to a show of a certain finger or other gesture.

I also discovered that you do not use the right lane of a three lane divided road for passing either.

I did like the fact that the basic rental cars we got were Alfa Romeos. That was pretty sweet, but it was hard to get used to the fact that they are supposed to be pushing 4500 rpms for highway driving.