This is not really a question about Astronomy or Meteorology.
It’s about what most people know about basic science. (I realize that people on this board are not “most people” …)
I’ve noticed that many intelligent people who are familiar with many areas of study, are (surprisingly?) unfamiliar with some basic science.
I’ve asked three friends the question in this thread’s title and, so far, only one of them got the right answer. All three are university graduates: one is a nurse, one is a law student, and the other is a teacher.
So, I’m wondering: Do you think you know why the weather is warmer in the summer?
Yes, I know the “real” answer, as do probably 83% of the regular posters to the Dope. (We’ve tried to help the other 17%, but they’re just really too stupid.)
Seriously, you don’t need to try to impress us. You’re here already, for Christ’s sake. The average long term Doper is very well aware of many of the fallacies of pop science in the knowledge of the masses. Far ahead of the curve is how I would express it. Such a mundane question for this group.
I appreciate your enthusiasm, tho. Stick around. We always welcome fresh meat, er…, insights.
Impress you with what? That I know the answer, or that I know that many people don’t know the answer?
As I said in my OP, I realize that Dopers are not “most people.” But I’m quite sure that not all of them know the right answer.
The reason I picked the particular question in this thread is that I knew the answer when I was 10 years old (at least, most of the answer), but I had a difficult time convincing some adults. Even with the flashlight …
Now, many years later, I’m just surprised that many educated people don’t know.
This is not a startling revelation. It’s just an observation.
Perhaps I should have posted in MPSIMS.
Anyway, do most posters in this thread think there is just one reason why summers are hot?
Hmm, just to check on the common answers, I asked my 7th grader and two adult friends, none of them got it correct.
My boy had a “oh, yeah, I knew that, I forgot but now I remember” reaction as soon as I started to explain the right answer, the two adult friends needed full explanations with visual demonstrations to understand.
[official moderator warning]Why don’t you just go ahead and give us the “right” answer in MPSIMS, or if you wish to put down people who don’t agree with your “right” answer, start something in the BBQ Pit. This is the second supposed poll you’ve started in IMHO with the purpose of showing that you are right and others are wrong, and this is the second thread of yours I’ve had to close.[/official moderator warning]