Do you nap?

You betcha. I love my naps - just had one today! Don’t usually fit one in during the week, but on weekends there is usually time for at least one.

(We have an 8.5 month old daughter, so sleep is precious and I grab it whenever I can!)

Boy do I ever nap. I have had to work some strange hours and a mid afternoon/ early evening nap was a necessity. Even on my days off, it was a habit that I never broke.

I’m 20. I don’t nap. Probably twice a year I’ll fall asleep mid-day or mid-evening. I wake up cranky and disoriented - and wondering what day it is.

I hate napping. It takes too long for me to be fully awake again.

I’m 34, and typically only nap if I’m sick.

That said, proper napping can only take place on the couch – I wouldn’t dream of napping in my bed. And optimally the TV should be on, with the volume very low. I don’t nap often, but when done it must be done right. :smiley:

25, and I nap. I try to avoid it during the week due to keeping a work schedule, but the weekends are for napping, always have been. If I do give in during the week, I try to keep them under 30 minutes. Any longer and I don’t sleep at night.

I’m 27, and I like to nap, but for fairly long stretches. Guaranteed nap days come when I have to work early (5 or 6a til 2 or 3p) but don’t work early (as in not until 10 or 11a or so) the next day. I’ll come home around 3p on the early day, sleep til 6 or 7, then get up and have a little second day until 3 or 4 the next morning. Then down until 9a or so for the next work day, depending on how late I go in.

I’m at heart a second-shifter, so when I have to work early, I can never sleep the night before. I make up for it with that 3 hour nap after. My hell comes when I have to work early more than one day in a row, cause then I can’t nap – I’ll never get to sleep in time to get up in the morning, so I just hold it awake until bedtime.

I currently work at 5 or 6a four days in a row for 1 week out of every three. I have such a hard time adjusting that I tend to stay up all night the first day, then start going to bed from 5 or 6 til midnight and treating that early morning shift like a late afternoon into night shift. Takes some adjustment to go to bed at 6p, but it’s all I can do.

In sum: 27, avid napper, and God help the one who awakens me early during it.

28 and I love napping. It’s just so deliciously decadent-I can sleep during the DAY.

That and I’ve always been a night owl-I stay up late, so I get most of my sleep during the day.

1. Unpaid dinner break at work four nights a week? Damn right I nap! My boss sits there being jealous most of the time.

In a more general sense, I take one nap a month or so. If I sleep more than an hour, I drift into real sleep and won’t get up for four hours or so. But twenty minute powernaps? You betcha. I don’t even always fall asleep, or at least entirely asleep, but they’re really refreshing.

I am an accomplished napper – at 44. After supper, I conk out for about an hour. I call it “decompression” time. Read something mindless for a bit, then I’m out in la-la land, then back, rejuvenated.

I can’t nap. Even back in kindergarten, I was the kid who was always trying to get up during nap time. I just couldn’t fall asleep during the day. Now I can’t nap for a different reason - it makes me feel sick. Even when I feel run-down in the afternoon and wouldn’t mind a nice nap I invariably wake up hot, disoriented, sluggish and feeling like my head is stuffed with cotton for the rest of the day. I’m 17.

I get in an afternoon nap when I can. They help me catch up on lost sleep hours when my sleep patterns go out of whack while I’m working on a project or a series of them. As long as I’m not asleep too long, I can avoid the groggy feeling – but I’d rather have the nap than not have it.

I nap when needed. Sometimes I only get 5 hours of sleep before a day of work, which I don’t love. I’m a night owl, so it’s REALLY hard for me to get to be “tired” before midnight. I’d miss the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. Sometimes I get home and nap for an hour and a half or so.

What’s the deal with college and childhood? All the things we fight when we’re younger, we embrace again in college. Playing in groups, mittens and scarves, naps, etc. In school, naptime is sacred. You mess with someone’s nap, you wake up with petroleum jelly in your shoes the next day.

Oh yeah, I’m 25.

Like some others, I can’t nap. I wake up feeling sick, headachey, nauseated, groggy.

I’m 35. I wish I could nap.

I’m 26 and currently staying at home with my son, who is 9 weeks old. You would think that I would be a prime candidate for napping, but instead, I sleep in. Around 8:00 AM, I take Spencer out of his bassinette and put him in bed with me so I can continue to sleep until 10:30 or so (usually). I’m always shirtless, so if he’s hungry I just have to open one eye and pop a boob in his mouth - then I’m back to my date with Mr. Sandman.

When I was pregnant, I wanted to nap every day, like Elza B is doing now. The weekend afternoons were my sacred commune-with-the-couch time. If I nap, it’s for at least an hour - longer if I can. We went camping over Memorial Day weekend with my husband’s family, and I was able to take a three-hour nap on Saturday and Sunday. It was pure heaven!

Sorry! Forgot to link to a photo of my boy. :smack:

OK, all together now: awwwwwww. :smiley:

39 here, and yep, I nap (on the weekends and holidays only–I think the boss would frown at daytime nap at work). I’ve been napping for about 15 years or so. It’s a good thing, that napping.

I come from a family of nappers. For as long as I can remember, a Saturday afternoon would ususally find everybody in our house conked out somewhere. I remained a dedicated napper through my twenties, and like others have mentioned in the thread, I have actually been known to wake up early on a weekend just so I would feel justified in napping later in the day.

There are two kinds of naps–couch naps, and bed naps. Couch naps are quicker, less satisfying, and usually involve falling asleep while watching television. A couch nap can last anywhere from 20 minutes to two hours.

Bed naps are decadent. They’re luxurious. They mean you’re serious about this nap shit, and are not screwing around. Bed naps can last up to six hours, if I’m tired enough and don’t have anything to get up for. Often, a bed nap will include two hours of sleeping, half an hour of deciding whether or not I have to pee badly enough to actually get up yet, and then another forty-five minutes of drowsing.

Alas, just about since I hit 30, I am less inspired to nap. Which upsets me. These days, I routinely get up at nine or earlier on a weekend morning, and while I often think to myself, Sweet, now I can totally nap later, I will frequently find it is suddenly six p.m., and there’s no real point in napping now.

I weep for my nap-loss.

I like the kind of nap that I catch on the bus going home. I’m not really out cold. I’m very relaxed but I am usually aware of things going on around me. I used to tell people I was meditating, but that was just bs. I was napping. Generally I have to pull a hat over my eyes to limit the light, and one of those travel pillows helps. It also helps that this is a self limiting nap (If I oversleep, I miss my stop. I have only done this once). I am 56 now, but I have been napping like this (on and off) since I was a teenager.

The ability to nap successfully rests on your ability to relax fairly quickly. There have been times in my life when I had to much tension and it would take me an hour and a half to achieve the “nap state”. Obviously, this was not efficient napping. My dad could achieve this state in less than a minute. We used to make fun of him when I was a kid (his mouth would often be open), but now I recognize this as a valuable skill.

Generally, I think those people who complain of being groggy after a nap have allowed themselves to go into too deep a sleep. Try napping sitting up in a comfortable chair that supports your head.

Ditto. I just don’t feel good after I take a nap.

38 and female

I must say though that I couldn’t help from napping both times I was pregnant. It was like breathing, I just couldn’t help it.