Do you own a gun?

I consider myself a middle of the roader. I do own guns, but am by no means a ardent hobbyist.

This made me laugh out loud, and then this

put me into a fit of giggles.

I don’t think I got enough sleep last night.

Yes. More than one. I even have a license to carry one if I feel the need.
I much prefer not putting myself in a position or place where I might feel the need, however, sometimes it’s unavoidable.

I also practice quite a bit, and enjoy slaughtering rampaging pieces of paper. It’s one of the few things I can still do pretty well. Damn body is wearing out on me.
Shoulda gotten a warranty deed.

Now you guys have me wanting a boat again. :frowning:

I have multiple firearms.

Two shotguns, three semiautomatic pistols, a revolver and two rifles. I think that’s right.
That was, until the tragic orbital accident. You see, I was testing my very own home made orbital pod, complete with re-entry vehicle, when I had to escape on take off. The entire apparatus was off trajectory, and if my calculations are correct it should be on a degrading orbit around the sun, and impact sometime in early 2010.

Why I had my guns on an orbiter pod… pfft, I guess we’ll have to chalk that up to poor planning, hu?

Lost his antlers on the boat too.

Yup. And living in the People’s Republic of California there is no point in hiding the fact, they already know that I have them.

We might even have to start registering ammo here in a couple of years.

I own one gun, a .357 magnum, that I keep loaded in my nightstand. If there are kids over (a rarity), I lock the bedroom door. I only see the need for one gun for self defense, although I wouldn’t mind inheriting my grandfather’s 1897 S&W one day.

I have 3 that’s I’ve been given:

Remington 1100 20ga. from my grandpa that I used to trap shoot with.
Winchester 1200 Riot that was my uncles.
Hi-Standard Double Nine .22 Revolver that was my grandmas.

I plan to buy either a Walther P22 or some type of 9mm in the next year or two. I wouldn’t mind an AR15 either. I just use them to shoot targets.

ETA: I plan to go on a boat ride after my collection is finished.

Oh, I forgot that all mine were lost too. Not in a boating accident, but in a horrible blimp accident.

No, it wasn’t a Good year.

Three.

So that gives me a pretty solid notion where the beer went, too, and why the boat sank.

seems I lost my m1 and my serialized p08 that found its way home from Germany in the mid 40s in another tragic boating accident …

Well then we balance out since I think handgun ownership with annual practical proficiency exams should be mandatory.

I do not own a gun.

I do own two Black Rhino armor piercing, hollow-point bullets. According to the cop who gave them to me, it is legal for me to own them and even legal to load them into a gun. It is just not legal to shoot them.

I DO want a Gyrojet.

I just shot for the first time at the local range recently, and became instantly addicted. I shot a Glock 19 – it was a little big for my hand, which was a little sore the next day. I’d love to get one of my own for target practice.

Yo might enjoy something smaller, like a .22. Less power, recoil, noise, and a lot cheaper to shoot.

That’s one way of looking at it. Works for me.

Agreed, shop around at your local gun shop, try to find a good condition used (most used guns are rated in “% of new”, the higher the percent, the better) Ruger Mark II series, it’s a .22 caliber semiautomatic, and it’s considered in the hobbyist trade to be actually better and more desirable than the current Mark III series

the biggest reasons are that Ruger added two dubious “enhancements” to the Mark series;

1; Loaded Chamber Indicator; a little “tab” that sticks out slightly from the side of the pistol when there is a live cartridge in the breech, it’s disliked because it adds another place for crud to build up, adds unnecessary mechanical complexity, and actually encourages lax behavior, relying on the indicator to tell you if your pistol is loaded is a direct violation of Jeff Cooper’s First Safety Rule; “All guns are ALWAYS loaded” (even when they’re not)

2; Magazine safety interlock; the MkIII will only fire if a magazine is fully inserted, once again adds unneeded mechanical complexity, degrades trigger feel, and makes field-stripping for cleaning even more needlessly complex than it already is

plus, these are unnecessary “Lawyer-proofing” “nannying” features that add nothing to the firearm, indeed, they detract from the pistol, making it slightly harder to clean and more needlessly complex

the Mark II, Mark I and Standard .22 pistols do not have either of these “improvements”

if you’re more into revolvers, Ruger makes a nice, simple single-action (cock the hammer before firing each shot) revolver called the Single Six with no stupid nanny-crap on it

Syntax Error, Invalid Arguments, System Halted!

no such thing as an “Armor Piercing Hollow Point”, two completely different types of bullets

“Armor Piercing” A.K.A., “Full Metal Jacket”- a lead bullet core with a “jacket” of a harder gliding metal (copper, usually) that fully encases the core and prevents/reduces the chance of deformation when the bullet impacts a solid surface, has a tendency to tear completely through soft (flesh-based) targets though (called “overpenetration”)

“Hollow Point”, a bullet (usually jacketed with a gliding metal) with the tip hollowed out, when impacting a target (soft or hard) the hollow cavity makes the front of the bullet expand to double (if not more) it’s original size, usually called “mushrooming”, as the bullet takes on the shape of a mushroom viewed from the side, hollowpoints are designed to dump as much of their energy as possible into the target and not exit or overpenetrate, they are not as effective on hard targets, as they tend to “pancake” against hard cover

My mistake.