Do you pee in the pool?

I dunno about that – I think your average population will think “Ewwww, nasty!”, with a small percentage thinking “Meh, nasty, but I don’t care”.

Here, you’re more likely to get the “By virtue of the minuscule percentage of urine compared to pool water, and the fact that the chlorine is going to kill anything potentially harmful, it’s really not a big deal” answer than you might on, say, Yahoo Answers.

Although on Yahoo Answers, you’ll probably get more people who poop in there as well.

I’m never going swimming again.

As a kid, my mom wanted me to continue swimming in the pool after my sister threw up in there. :frowning:

Well, by virtue of the minuscule percentage of puke compared to pool water, and the fact that the chlorine is going to kill anything potentially harmful, it’s really not a big deal.

No way. Also keep in mind that what people say if you ask them directly about it might differ from their actual behavior. But I assure you, lots of people are peeing in the pool.

I always liked:
We don’t swim in your toilet
So please don’t pee in our pool

You folks who said the chlorine will just “take care of it” are totally wrong. Quite the opposite is true: the nitrogen compounds in urine produce chloramines. Ever been in an indoor pool where the odor of chlorine was especially strong? Chloramines. Ever gotten out of a pool and had your eyes burning? Chloramines. The chlorine is there to kill any bacteria and microparasites in the water. Managing the level of chlorine to keep the concentration high enough to kill the pathogens while low enough that it is not uncomfortable is a difficult process. Urine in the water adds another variable to consider since it removes the residual chlorine by converting it to the aforementioned chloramine.

Don’t pee in a pool.

Wait, are you saying that when I go to a pool and the chlorine is especially strong, that it’s not the chlorine at all? That it’s actually (bleurgh) too much pee in the water?

At least in part, yes. Too much chlorine can do that, as can poor ventilation in the room. However, chloramine is often the odor that you are detecting.

Honestly! No no no no no no no!

All of this “the chlorine will take care of it” is nonsense!

How 'bout I piss shit puke and cum in your pool. Then you can get a mouthful when you’re swimming laps. Sounds OK? No?

Alright then, case closed.

Not since I was a small Snicks, no. I’m an adult, I get out to use the facilities like all right-thinking adults should.

I only pee in other peoples pools to mark my territory. Peeing in my own pool is disgsting.

Ocean, lake, pool, shower… pretty much wherever I’m covered in water.

In terms of the actual harm that pee can do to someone, isn’t the risk of peeing in the pool next to 0 because of the natural sterility of urine? Or is urine only sterile in healthy humans?

Doesn’t change the fact that it’s gross. You’re right, urine is sterile, but would you be okay if I came over and peed on your shoes?

And for all those people who are saying, “Well, everyone else’s hygiene probably isn’t top notch”, that doesn’t excuse you contributing to the problem.

The solution to pollution is dilution.

I grew up on a lake, and once I pooped in the lake, for the sake of science. It floated. Yay science! As young child I knew nothing of currents though, and as I walked away, the poop followed. As I walked faster, the poop followed! Only breaking into a sprint in shallower water is what saved me from the poop beast from the deep.

I only answered yes because my last pool experience was scuba class, one hour at a time, with a wet suit on. Normally, I will get out and pee. But really, pee in the pool doesn’t bother me. It’s mostly water, it’s sterile, and the amount of nasties are seriously diluted.

From what I hear (through word of mouth, so no cite), urine itself is sterile, but once it reaches the bacteria on the tip of your urethra, it becomes contaminated and ceases to be sterile.

Though perhaps someone else with more authority on the subject can enlighten me.

Maybe so, but that stuff’s going into the water regardless of whether you pee or not.

I am officially traumatized by this thread.

I’ve not been back to the pool since I started this thread.