Do you think Nolan Ryan used steroids?

Great post. I have felt for a while there is enough circumstantial evidence to broach the question as to whether steroids were used by Hank Aaron (a teammate of House’s), but I never really thought about Ryan. But the points you make are interesting.

While some might consider Nolan Ryan to be a member of their dream starting rotation - would you single him out to start a crucial game in a playoff or World Series? Based on his history, probably not.

I agree, his achievements make him a deserving Hall of Famer. And there’s no compelling evidence to suggest he used steroids, only that he was a freakish athlete.

It’s rather odd to read a thread that you don’t remember starting (and I rarely post)! But, especially having read this post, my suspicion has been piqued again. I remember, back when I was reading all about Ryan ’ s training regimen during his time with the Rangers, that a lot of credit was given to pitching coach Tom House’s creative training regimen (primarily, having his pitchers throwing a football as part of their warmup). I had no idea that House was linked to steroid use.

That’s not to dismiss Ryan ’ s skills. He remains my favorite pitcher. But I wouldn’t be shocked if the last decade of his career was benefited by the recuperative effects of PEDs.

It’s my understanding that Pete Rose DID bet on games he played in. Wiki Link "In his autobiography My Prison Without Bars, published by Rodale Press on January 8, 2004, Rose finally admitted publicly to betting on baseball games and other sports while playing for and managing the Reds. He also admitted to betting on Reds games, but said that he never bet against the Reds. "

Regarding your comment about the HOF being a joke; I think it’s a joke if you allow people in who broke longstanding records by cheating. The all time home run king is in the HOF.

You mean Babe Ruth, right?

Whitesox: Glavine and Thomas spearheaded testing!!!

IIRC, Ryan played on very weak hitting teams for most of his career (until he went to Texas). This would account for his WL record and the lack of Cy Youngs.

[Which is not to say he was better than Maddux or Clemens, et al.]

I forgot that Glavine played for the Atlanta White Sox.

He lacks Cy Youngs largely because he never deserved one. It’s possible on better hitting teams he would have had a gaudier W/L and won one, but really you’d be hard pressed to show a year when he was definitely the best pitcher in the league.

According to baseball-reference Ryan’s best season was 1977. He had a really good year, but went 19-16 due to bad run support. Maybe he would have won the Cy with more runs, but they didn’t give it to Jim Palmer (20-11 and just as good) either, they decided to give it to Sparky Lyle that year. In no other year of his career was Ryan the best pitcher in his league.

Slate: the new guy, who resurrected this zombie in the 1st place, has white sox as part of his user name. But I suspect you knew that!

RickJay:

I’d say he deserved it in 1987 over Steve Bedrosian and a host of others who were voted higher than he was. He led the league in ERA and strikeouts. If not for that pesky losing record…poor run support, again.

Not at all. I thought you were nuts.

Sorry. Guess you don’t note usernames. :wink: :slight_smile:

BTW, even though mother never had me tested, I’m not crazy. :smiley:

Also in 1981 he probably should have won it. But Valenzuala had more wins and was also a sentimental favorite.

Tom Seaver probably should have won in it in 1981.

Ryan probably had a decent case in 1973, although Blyleven had the better season and finished 9th. Blyleven had a war of 9.9 that year which is a historical type season.

The Hall of Fame already has players in it that commited far worse crimes than Rose, Bonds or Clemens ever could dream of. There are rumors Hank Aaron was using peds even in the 60’s, just because his peds weren’t as powerful as the ones Bonds used doesn’t make him a saint. So yeah, Bonds is the homerun king.

He probably did.

But since it wasn’t illegal (nor were the uppers that were handed around the clubhouses like candy) when he was in the majors, who cares?

As far as I know drugs were illegal back in the 60’s. Hank Aaron wasn’t helped by peds like Bonds was but the fact that he took greenies to help perform better doesn’t make him look any better than Bonds does in my book.

If fans want to discredit Barry Bonds homerun record then fans or MLB needs to recognize that Nolan Ryans strikeout record is probably tainted too.

I think that fight definitely added to Ryan’s mystique as a tough as nails pitcher and athlete.

I think it deff led to his mystique but I really don’t think Ventura got beat down as bad as people think. Also as far as I recall Nolan Ryan refused to face the Whitesox in September of that year to keep the Sox from gaining momentum for the playoffs had they beat him.

I do think Ryan got the best of Ventura but it’s not like it was this big ass whooping like everyone thinks.