Do you think you would have wanted to play with "Lammily" as a little girl?

Or a little boy too, if you played with dolls.

Meet Lammily. For those who don’t want to click, it’s a much more realistically proportioned version of Barbie.

I didn’t play with Barbies. My sis played with the one that we joint-owned, but I didn’t touch it. I was more inclined to play with baby dolls and action figures. I didn’t really see the point of Barbie. So I almost feel like I don’t have a right to comment on Lammily.

So I shall limit my opinion to this: I like that her joints move. This makes her more like an action figure. If she’s going to be a success, though, they need to make accessories for her that you can buy, just like Barbie has.

What say you?

Sure. I had Barbies (who usually were off on adventures getting lost in the woods and struggling to survive, but with jazzy outfits!) and my amazing Bionic Woman doll, and few other dolls of a similar size.

Lammily would’ve fit right in.

Is she named after a flooring product or something?

Apparently named after designer Nickolay Lamm. Hopefully they’ll fix that.

I would have had one. Hell, if they do end up making them, I will buy one for myself.

No, too human looking. I was always into toy robots and vehicles, not people. Maybe if they gave her some power armor - which makes a statement in itself if you avoid the infamous “boobplate”.

It kind of bothers me that they refer to a normally-proportioned doll as a “shorter, fatter Barbie”. Hell, a toothpick is fatter than Barbie!

You were once a little girl? :eek:

I really wanted a Barbie and what I got was Miss Nancy Ann. Miss Nancy Ann had a bigger head, a much smaller bust, wore mid heels, and came with a nurse’s costume.

Barbie came with makeup, glamour, high heels, and a stewardess uniform!

Miss Nancy Ann was pasty white. Barbie had a killer tan.

No fucking contest.

Except that I could style Miss Nancy Ann’s hair. Did not work with Barbie. (I had ponytail Barbie. When you took the ponytail out, she was bald except for around the edges.)

The unfortunately named Lammily is even less glamorous than Miss Nancy Ann.

PS I bitched about it, a lot, and ended up also getting a Barbie. They were roommates. Miss Nancy Ann was the good-girl prig an Barbie was the bad girl who got all the boys.

My Story:

Doll Series #1

It’s the “little lesbian girl’s” take on Barbie in the 60s.

Ahem:

Personally, I agree.

But that’s the whole point of Barbie: you make up a set of power armor for her!

Heck, my Barbie has six arms! (Inspired by Marvel Comics’ “Spiral.”)

I know this has been beaten to death many times, but the reason Barbie has exaggerated dimensions is so, when you make a costume for her, it doesn’t just look like a toilet-paper roll. All her dresses would be sack dresses. The fabric for Barbie clothes is 12 times thicker than clothing fabric, because Barbie is 1/12 as tall as a real person. Let’s see a real fashion model wear a dress made out of sail-canvas and look good in it!

Barbie is a fashion toy, not a physical model of womanhood.

I do agree with monstro in that the flexible joints are nice. But, wait, Barbie also has flexibility. I’d say they look about equal as far as action figures.

I can’t tell from the photo: Is Lammily’s hair made up of individual fibers, or is it a solid molded piece? There are benefits to each: Barbie’s hair tends to get nasty tangles.

Sure, I have no problem with fat chicks.

At this point, she’s both. When something becomes as ubiquitous as the Barbie doll, it’s impossible for it not to be used as a standard for something. In this case, Barbie became most girls’ introduction to What An Attractive Woman Looks Like. It wasn’t intended, it isn’t wholly evil, and it’s ridiculously easy to demolish, but it is there.

Me? I was late to the whole Barbie world. I picked it up in fifth and sixth grade, when most girls were done with her by fourth grade. Of course, I was also a complete subversive. The friend I played with had a whole menagerie of Barbies and Kens, and we ran through plot lines that would have tried the most naive soap opera fan. Infidelity, barbarism, black marketeering, white (plastic?) slavery, and terrorism.

I like the jointed feet and wrists of Lammily, but in the end, what it really comes down to is accessories. I would have played with her if she had a decent wardrobe, but give that girl a recurve bow and a wolf, and I’d have begged to get one.

Crikey, do that and I want one now!

BTW, relevant to the OP, here’s a nice picture of what a Barbie doll would look like, scaled to a more average human woman. To be honest, I like 'em both about equally.

Let’s be honest, Barbie that was a reflection of American proportions would have

-Stretch marks
-Fat rolls
-A Nordic Track machine covered in cobwebs
-Six accessory cats w/individual names and personalities
-An annhilated empty Krispy Kreme box
-Possibly a mobility scooter
-SDMB account

Crap, I need more cats.

Only two more! :wink:

Sure.

I wasn’t too big in to Barbies but I did have a few (and they worked at Barbie McDonalds!!) I also had Skipper and at least in the 80s she was shorter, straighter at the waist, nearly flat-chested and I guess chunkier.

Skipper got way more mileage from me as a kid than Barbie. Skipper could represent me, and the Barbies were just fake dolls that she interacted with.

Sure. Barbie was basically an action figure for me. She was there to be a lady who did cool stuff. I remember being annoyed that everything she owned had to be pink for some reason, but other than that I really didn’t much care what she looked like. My sister and I also had a set of the similarly-sized Jem & The Holograms dolls – the Synergy doll, if you remember that cartoon, was entirely purple. Never stopped us.