Do You Tip The Pizza Driver?

Not necessarily. Remember that there are also a lot of people that don’t tip. When I was doing deliveries, my hourly wage plus mileage and tips usually worked out to about $10-15/hour. Not bad money at all, but hardly big bucks either.

Most of the people working delivery jobs aren’t doing it as their primary career. I did it while I was a college student, as were quite a few of my coworkers. It’s a good job for a student because it’s mostly evenings and weekends and the hours are quite flexible. For a few people it was a second job to bring in some more cash. Most people that I worked with weren’t doing it because they lacked ambition, it was just a good job to get them where they were going.

Their employer may well pay them less than market but they are NOT paid less than minimum wage. At least not legally.

But again, as I said- a small tip is expected for this service. So do tip unless you get bad service.

Five bucks if they do what they promise, it has worked for many years. Whose pizza? Dominos, yes. Pizza King, No.

I always tip delivery guys. Then again, I also tip the guy who bag my food when I get take out food at a sit-down restaurant.

Er, I meant “bags” my food, as in puts my food into a bag, not… dirty!

I tip a couple of bucks on a pizza. Delivery pizza …mmmm. One phone call and in 30 min or less a hot pizza shows up at your door.

yes, but not based on a gratuity like dine-in restaurants. A few bucks and a “keep the change” is good enough for me.

It could well have been illegally, these were some sketchy pizza joints, I think. But what’re you basing that “illegally” on? I mean, a waiter/waitress gets a base wage that’s usually under minimum because there’s the assumption that they’ll make up the difference with tips. So why would it be necessarily different for pizza delivery people?

Why does it seem as if the “poor college student” excuse always comes up in tipping threads? If you don’t have the money to cover the cost of the food + tax and tip, you don’t have the money to order in/eat out. No, really. It’s that simple. There’s a reason that servers and delivery people make very little in hourly wages. They rely on their tips as a major part of their income. Yes, it’s their job, but they’re providing you with a service, and you need to tip accordingly. End of story. And, what world do you live in where everyone who works a sucky job can just go out and get a bette, higher paying one? Jesus.

sigh ** better, ** not bette

Well… I can’t stand pizza but we get one of those family meal type things (pizza, salad, breadsticks and pasta) and I usually tip about 3 bucks. The meal comes to about 22 and I usually give 25.

One time the pizza was 17 something and gave my stepson a 20 and told him to give it to the driver. I should have been more specific. He came back saying the driver gave him two bucks and a handful and change and didn’t count it.

I guess that thread was right, don’t let the kids pay the pizza deliverer.

I tip, but I tip according to what I buy. That’s not good in my case (for the driver), since I usually order a $4.23 meal (with tax). Most of the time, I give him $5.23, a buck for tipping, which is the equivalent of 20% or more of the meal.

So there are people who actually don’t think they need to pay alittle extra for the convience of having food driven to their driveway and given to them at their door? That baffles me.

When I first posted to this thread, I was pleasantly surprised to see that everybody had pretty much agreed about tipping the pizza guy.

But then I come back and…sigh There they are. The “broke college students.” The “It’s their job” mob. The “Everybody else tips so why should I?” peanut gallery.

But I do believe The Griffin has actually said something rather original. It’s a first. It’s the “I don’t tip because I want to encourage people to aspire to better things!” excuse. Wow. That’s pretty ballsy. Being cheap and saying it’s actually generous. Not tipping and saying that you’re doing them a favor.

It’s such an amazing leap of logic that I actually have to applaud The Griffin. Perhaps he should run for office. This sounds like a promising Republican in the making. Rock on!

I haven’t ordered out in a long time, there aren’t any decent places that deliver near me, but when I did order out I always tipped. The amount was dependant on how fast the food showed up (3 levels, fast, normal, waiting forever), the condition of the food, (crushed pizza makes me cranky), and how often I used the place.

The normal tips were from $2 to $5 depending on how much I was having delivered. I only remember once when I did not tip anything, and I did that intentionally and with reason.

I was a pizza delivery guy for two years. We got paid min. wage plus 7% of the gross deliveries. I got a fifty cent raise by learning to make pies.

I always remembered the addresses that tipped good. They were often repeat customers and when I saw that address on a box to be delivered, I would grab it ahead of other pies. I’m a whore, I was in it for the money.

Whenever I order pizza, I don’t tip on a percentage basis, especially if the pizzeria is offering some kind of special. If I order a $6 pizza, 15% is only 90 cents. The driver is probably losing money after gas, insurance and wear and tear on his vehicle, plus the opportunity cost since he could have been delivering to someone who would have tipped much better. The driver still has to do almost the exact same amount of work if he delivers 10 pizzas or 1. I figure a $4 for one pizza, then an extra dollar or two for every pizza after that is a fair tip. After ordering a few times from the same place and tipping well, just watch your delivery times shrink. If it’s a really busy night and they quote me 45 minutes to an hour on the phone, I guarantee you my pizza will be at my door in 15 minutes (pizza place is only 3 blocks from my house). My brother is a pizza delivery person and the place he works for DOES keep track of who’s a good or bad tipper right in their computer system. If you’re known as a good tipper and something of a regular, your order goes right to the top of the pile and is the first pizza out the door, they don’t care if someone known as a poor tipper has been waiting an hour and a half.

Sweetheart, I WISH I got 7 or 8 bucks an hour! I am paid 6.05 an hour… and I have been there 7 years. My best raise was when minimum went to 5.15. On top of that I pay my OWN gas at 1.60 to 1.80 a gallon, my OWN insurance, and my OWN maintenance on my truck. IF I can do 10 deliveries a night I may make between 10 and 20 extra. Yes, I get .50 a delivery but do the math… thats not enough to put gas in my tank.

No, its not my main job… most of the year. I work for the school district I have a nice three month vacation in the middle of the year. Funny thing though, the bank STILL expects to be paid those months. Doesn’t make sense to get a “better job” for three months of the year. And I like the job. I get to meet lots of nice people. And the occasional asshole. I have fun driving around listenin to the radio all night.

I have to agree with the poster who stiffed the driver for making him come to the drivers car in the rain. HOWEVER, I have made people who go in and out their garage’s and let their front steps ice over come out and get their pizzas. I fell down one front stoop after deliverying that was all… never again! I have also called and said “I cant get to your door you have:
sprinklers
packages
barking dogs
bicycles
in front of it. Can you come out please?” But rain nope… just tip the dripping lady please?:smiley:

Did you catch his location? They’re just thrifty up there.

I do pay a little extra, in the delivery charge (usually $2 US) that most places implement. Why should a tip (except in the case of service beyond the call of duty) exceed that?

In most cases, you’re approaching half the cost of the pizza (if not already) with a tip that many people feel “obligated” to give, along with this amount charged for convenience. If you want to give more, great. Some of us aren’t made of money, and it should be a choice given to the customer without fear of consequence.

Aiiie! Broad Brush! Broad Brush!