Quick--what should I tip for pizza delivery?

I ordered a bunch of pizzas for a luncheon today and I don’t know what’s usual. It’s less than 15%, right?

Two dollars plus one dollar per pizza.

I don’t tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I’ll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it’s for the birds. As far as I’m concerned, they’re just doing their job.
:cool:

Lot of people think 15%
Unless you’re a hot gal…

bowAchickaWOWwow

$3 is what we pay for one or two, since they already charge a delivery fee. The $3 is for the driver. If it were I, no matter how many pizzas, I’d give the guy (gal?) $3.

If they are on time, and polite then $3. Number of pies is not relevant unless it’s over 10. If you ordered more than that, then $6-$10 is not unappropriate, since you’ve probably usurped a run all to yourself.

I knew Mr. Pink would be along. :slight_smile:

Okay, thanks, guys!

I tip well for all delivery, because I figure hell, they’re bringing me the food. I’ve been in restaurants and gotten worse service than that. I always give delivery people a minimum of $5, no matter what the cost. Above that, that I start at 20%. First, it’s usually pretty damn cheap to do so, and second, it’s so easy to make someone’s day for a couple bucks. I’d do at least 15%.

(Then you get a good reputation and suddenly your food starts arriving faster, you get the occasional freebie, and the delivery guy is always cheerful.)

Why do I have to be Mr. Pink?

Same here. And you can be a little more sure they didn’t stop along the way and take a whiz or a dump on your pizza! :smiley:

I don’t want to tell you, sugar. :slight_smile:

BTW, I’m going with thirteen bucks for a delivery of thirteen pizzas.

Seconding what beanpod said. I am more generous to the pizza guy than a waiter on average because:

1. They drove to my house using their car and gas, often on a crappy night.
  2. The dollar value of a delivery is usually a fair bit smaller than a night out at the restaurant. So at least $5, and more if the value warrants it.
    I actually don’t mind tipping delivery guys as they are definitely working for the money.

I usually only tip 10% for delivery and buffets.
If it is a nasty night and the driver shows up quick, the tip usually grows to 15%.

I tip 20%+ at a restaurant.

$2 and the change if its one or two pies. Once you start ordering more, then you go into percentage territory.

When I was delivering many moons ago, I was happy with a buck since part of my area included a college. You were lucky to get the change from the students.

Good piece of advice is to make sure a sober person answers the door. Best tip I ever received on a regular order was $15. One drunk asked me the price and I said $21.36. He counted out $21 and then threw in another $15 and said “that makes $36”. The fastest 40-yard dash I ever ran was getting back to my car before he realized he screwed up.

For a delivery order of $15 or less, $3 or $4 bucks.

For a delivery order that’s $20/$30, $5 or $6.

I’ve never had a delivery order that’s any higher than that…it’s just me and the SO.

3 or 4 bucks, always in cash. Even if it’s in quarters. They seem to appreciate cash more.

You should always tip really well the first couple of times you order from a pizza restaurant to get a reputation as a good tipping address. Then, when the delivery guys see your address come up they’ll fight over who gets to deliver it and you’ll be the first stop on their route.

Yes, I used to be a pizza delivery guy. And I worked in the kitchen.

It’s going to depend on the pizza place. The one I worked at, I didn’t get paid hourly, I got a flat fee per delivery, plus tips. I paid for my own gas and car. Some places have a delivery car and they get paid hourly too, they probably should get tipped less. However if you ask the driver there’s a good chance they’ll lie to you so they get a bigger tip.

This, by the way, works very well even in non-delivery circumstances. The TimeWindress and I will penalize for poor service, but decent service will get you 20%, and great service will get 25%. (And I’d tend toward the higher end with pizza delivery).

We’re treated like regulars in many restaurants, sometimes as soon as the second visit. Food comes faster, drinks are refilled faster, we get good seats and occasional “deals” on deserts, drinks, and the like.

I doubt this costs us more than maybe $150 a year over a standard 15% (Corvallis restaurants aren’t very expensive), and even if we don’t get anything out of it, the waiters/waitresses can almost always use the money more than we can.

“Respect your elders.”