Do you work for Aflac (or know about employment? Help me find out about it)

Today, I received a call from Aflac requesting an interview for a position with their company. I was always told to keep the phone calls to a minimum with this type, so I kept my questioning minimal.

The job is for a sales position which deals with “business to business”

Other than that, I have my interview setup for monday. I’m fresh out of college so this is a new experience for me.

I’m trying to find out about the position/employment beforehand.

Have you had any experience with the hiring at Aflac? What do you know about it?

Most importantly, how is the compensation??? What should I expect to begin?
(The position is in the Southern IL. area.)

Thanks and wish me luck!!!

It can vary wildly from company to company but http://www.vault.com can be a useful website which has information about how people got hired and information about pay and other things about a company.

The sign up procedure at vault is annoying. There are a lot of hoops to jump through to finally get free membership.

I worked very briefly for Aflac. My experience may not be the same for your area as it was for mine, but I’ll share it anyhow.

Basically, they’ll take anyone with a pulse. There is no base pay or draw involved; you’re straight commission. The commission is pretty generous, but if you don’t sell, you don’t eat. Literally.

Since you’re not technically an Aflac employee, you’re on your own for taxes, licensing fees and other expenses. These can be deducted from your income taxes, however. You’re also on your own for benefits like health insurance.

Prospecting involves going door-to-door to area businesses, asking to see the owner/benefits decision-maker, and asking for an appointment to sell them on Aflac. In my area, there was no concept of territories and people were very secretive of their activities, so it was possible to go through the same areas in a very short time frame. This pisses businessowners off and wastes everyone’s time. It may be different where you are.

If you can develop a good marketing plan and stick to it, it may be worth doing. It may also be worth doing for a short time while you find a regular job, then as a sideline.

If you have any more questions, PM me.

Robin

Quite a few reviews of the company here:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Aflac-Reviews-E1302.htm

Be nice to the duck.