Do You Work on the Day After Thanksgiving?

I work from home, so if I’m home, I usually work.

I will go to work at midnight tonight, so that is actually the Friday shift.

I work as a residential advisor in a training facility for young persons. Most of them have left for the weekend but there are some who either don’t have any family to go home to or live too far away to travel for the weekend.

Normal activities are suspended for the weekend so I’ll probably sit around watching movies and talking to the ones that stay up late.

I choose option 4 - “Yes, my place of employment is closed”.

Most of the time my husband works Thanksgiving week so there’s no reason to hang around home. I get a ton of work preparing for year-end over T-giving weekend. It’s a tradition (and the only reason I can avoid taking work home over Xmas). Worse this year as I have less staff than ever and the same amount of work, so I’m picking up all the hourly stuff no-one is here to do as well as all that higher-level stuff I was hired for.

Today I am at work getting files flipped and boxed for storage. Freaking cold, too, since the heater is set to automatically stay at 60 today. When my fingers freeze up good, I’ll head home, make an Irish coffee, and put on a DVD.

There are only 3 employees at my job. The boss is out of town and the other woman has a large blended family which make holidays pretty crazy for her.

I could have taken the day off, but I’m not doing anything anyway and I have at least 2 clients coming in with time sensitive matters. One of them owes the boss quite a bit of cash and says he’ll bring it tomorrow. That’ll get me some points with the boss, assuming the guy shows up.

Plus, I need the money.

However, if it’s slow and I get those 2 in and out early, I might just close up early.

On the other hand, this is the first time I’ve had Thanksgiving off in years. Up until this year I’d been in the bar business for about one million years, and always ended up with Thanksgiving. It’s weird having a day off in the middle of the work week.

Officially, it’s a company holiday. Several colleagues and I have deadlines to meet though, so some of us will be working by necessity.

yep. We are, mercifully, closed today. Or else I’m sure I would be working today, too.

Most people have requested off for tomorrow. A couple are traveling, most just don’t want to work. Which means that the three of us who never take “I really just don’t want to work” days get to work. For one of those three, it’s his birthday.

We’re really, really hoping that it’s dead. We’re hoping that everyone will be out shopping and will either eat at the food courts at the malls or at restaurants around Targets and Wal-Marts and that since there are no shopping areas around our restaurant AND it’s too damn cold to go out for ice cream, it will be nice and slow and we can let the birthday guy go home early and the rest of us can just have a fairly relaxed night of cleaning and making preps for Saturday.

Working today and tomorrow.

Justin, I can’t vote in your poll. You left out the option “No, simply not scheduled for that day.”

Got today off, but working tomorrow. I wonder about their holiday choices-- I got Columbus Day off, which actually made it relevant for the first time in… ever. I work at a national wildlife refuge.

Last year my then-girlfriend worked at a grocery store, and the policy was that everyone had to come it at some point on Thanksgiving. She also ended up working on X-mas, too.

Holidays: days when families get together, drink, remember why they hate each other and only get together once or twice a year, start fights because they can’t get along, and call other people to mediate those fights, kick unruly family members out of their homes, or to clean up the messes left after the fights go bad.

I help clean up the bad stuff. No holidays for me, no holiday pay.

I work for the Feds and most people who go in consider it ‘in house annual’. I generally work the day after Thanksgiving since I don’t like to take the vacation day.

I’m self-employed, so if my phone rings I’ll be working. Not planning on it though, any week with a holiday in it is always slow.

I work retail. Unless I request the time off well in advance, I work every holiday.

Joe

I work for the state government, so technically we are closed. I can, however, get quite a bit more work done when I am the only one in the building. So I’m actually at work now, and probably going to come in tomorrow as well.

Nope, the office is closed. Normally, though, they are open the day after Thanksgiving. Due to various other holidays landing on weekends this year, they are giving us a day or two surrounding them off instead. I believe we are always scheduled to get 6 holidays at the office so if the ones they normally close for land on weekends, they add other days.

I work in municipal government and we’re open. I could take a day off, if I chose to use a vacation day, but it didn’t seem worth it to me.

Customer service call center, medical supply company. Most of our company is closed for the day after Thanksgiving, as both Thanksgiving and the day after are paid holidays: but we have a volunteer skeleton crew in the call center and two warehouses open to fill emergency orders. I always volunteer to work. It gives me a refresher course on the phones, as I normally do not take calls: but since I work QA, I know what to do. I also backup our switchboard operator when she needs to step away. It shouldn’t be a full day tomorrow: we go in at 7 and they want us all out of there by 2:30. I always look forward to it!

It’s a corporate holiday where I work. Pretty sure it was at my last job, too.

I’m a public servant who will be covering our customer service phones for 8½ hours.

Another public servant here. I’ll be one of the few in the office tomorrow. I usually dedicate the day to cleaning and organizing, but this year I have a bunch of work to catch up on.