Do your ATMs prompt you in several languages?

Used to be you had the option of French or English on most ATMs in Ontario. At an ATM in small-town yesterday I was prompted with Spanish, and two other options that appeared to me to be Mandarin and Cantonese, although I might be wrong.

How many languages do your ATMs speak?

Most of the ones in the U.S. are English/Spanish or English only. There may be some other languages on ones in places like NYC but that isn’t typical for the whole country.

BoA ATMs always communicate with me in Russian.

English/Spanish for voice guidance, I think 7 languages total for text on screen.

English and French for sure in Toronto; I suspect both of these may be required by federal law, because the big banks are federally-regulated. Of non-official languages, Chinese seems to be the next most common, followed by Portuguese and Italian. These are more or less the largest immigrant groups to the city. Spanish may be there, but, if so, it’s uncommon. I would not be surprised of some branches of the banks, and also more local credit unions, had other additional languages on their ATMs.

Just English I think, although it might be different with a Credit rather than a Debit card (this is UK). On mainland Europe I’m pretty sure I always get a choice of English/French/German/Spanish/Local language (if different), I think because wherever I am, the ATM recognises that my card is ‘foreign’.

Hebrew, with an “English” button in the corner.

I think it definitely depends on the area. In my neighbourhood, I think it’s Chinese and Korean (as well as English and French, of course).

Recently, from some bank in my neck of the woods (Wash DC area), I used an ATM that had eight language options. Which I thought was a nice thing as there is a huge international population here.

Some ATMs make you choose a language, and I’ve seen 5 languages (Hebrew, English, Russian, French, Arabic) – but never all 5 on the same ATM. I think maybe there’s a list of languages in the software, and that when an ATM is set up, the local branch (or HQ?) chooses which languages to show, according to the local demographics?

From a couple of ATMs in downtown Toronto:

Scotiabank – English, French, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Spanish; the same as mentioned by Leaffan

RBC – English, Chinese; it must have read my language preference off of my card because I didn’t see an option for French (or maybe I’m just blind)

Seven years ago, Wells Fargo was already offering six language options. I think my branch (northern NJ) is now past a dozen.

Probably traditional and simplified Chinese.

Here is Seattle, depending on the ATM I’ll be able to choose between 2 and 8 languages.

(The really weird thing here is that all our voter registration mail is in English and Chinese. No Spanish, just Chinese.)

The first screen asks: “English or Spanish?”

Yes, in the UK you usually only get a choice of languages if you insert a credit card (or, presumably, a foreign debit card). IIRC in the UK the choices are usually English, French, German and Spanish. If you put in a UK-issued debit card, you just get English, although this may vary in Wales and Gaelic-speaking areas, perhaps?

Of course, there are exceptions. :slight_smile:
Edit: it looks as if ATMs, at least Barclays ones, offer a Welsh option in Wales. link.

English and Hmong at my credit union in St. Paul, Minnesota.

If banks were smart they would recognize your preferred language from the strip and default to it automatically.

That’s because, based on Census data, most Spanish-speakers here are proficient in English, but a significant number of voters are only proficient in Chinese. Yakima County has Spanish-language voting materials for the same reason.

In Canada, ScotiaBank gave me the option of English or French. In the US, PNC bank gives you a smorgasboard of choices. SunTrust lets you pick English or Spanish, IIRC. I also have used ATM’s in Puerto Rico and I believe all of them offered English and Spanish, which makes sense because the territory is officially bilingual.

In Italy you have about six European languages to pick from.