Do your parents like your taste in music?

It’s time we get to the bottom of this.

Meh, won’t let me edit the title of the thread. Should be same as the poll question.

Also note that this is a public poll and all responders’ picks will be viewable by others.

They were very influential in my musical taste. Of course, I can’t stand some of their musical tastes, and I’m sure they feel the same about some of the music I listen. And although they may have introduced me to a genre, we may have different favorites. For example, I like Vivaldi and some Bach, my dad is partial to strident symphonies and operas.

But the music that is close and near to me? I blame them for it. :smiley:

I didn’t vote, because my parents enjoy some of my music (since I listen to some of the same music they do) but can’t stand other bits. Put me down for ‘Some of it yes, some of it no’.

Had immigrant parents. They don’t care for american music. Though my mom does like the Jackson 5. And i think that guy Barry Manilow or something. My Dad prefers music with no words.
So yeah. Headphones it is.

My father’s taste in music strongly influenced my choices.

He introduced me to Barbra Streisand, Billy Ekstein, Bobby Gentry, Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, Peter Nero, Bach, Miriam Makeba, Leonard Bernstein - so many. (I’m tearing up thinking about this)

My parents are dead, so I can play what I like.

They can’t stand it, but they never busted my balls when I lived with them. I’m married now and haven’t lived with my parents for 16 years. It’s my wife that can’t stand my tunes.

The only cure is headphones, keeping it low, or just cranking it and letting her deal with it. :wink:

This. My taste is pretty wide-ranging and encompasses a fair bit of music that both my parents either grew up listening to, or can enjoy now, but there’s just as much that they don’t get, or actively hate.

I didn’t actually leave home at 14. I chose that option because my Dad’s hate for rock music borders on pathological.

When I was a teen, I listened to a lot of industrial, metal, hard rock, and some old-school hip-hop. My mother enjoyed quite a bit of my music, and shared a lot her favorite rock with me-- she was a huge fan of Bruce Springsteen (as am I) and Pink Floyd (which I’m not nearly as into, even though I can recognize their influence on a lot of stuff I do like). We both ended up huge AC/DC and Metallica fans, she ended up taking ownership of my Ozzy albums (she liked 'em more than I did) and things were cool. My mom and I don’t have much at all in common, but going to concerts together was one thing we both really loved that we could share. Not all of our tastes overlapped-- she loves The Beatles and Rod Stewart, neither of which I have more tolerance for, and she’s funny about “rap” (she got into Kid Rock on her own though-- the shame!) but there was a lot of music we both liked.

I’m in my late 20s now, and my musical taste hasn’t changed too much, aside from branching out into the blues, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits and the like. My mom’s in her mid-50s, and her taste has changed dramatically. I think it might have to do with her boyfriend of the past 6 or so years, but now she only wants to hear incredibly mellow stuff, mostly from older singer-songwriters. She always liked Bob Dylan, but now even he seems a little harder than her typical taste. Not only do I find it hell to listen to, but I miss my cool mom. :frowning:

My son’s iPod is loaded with classic rock, which he enjoys. He says that this genre is popular among his schoolmates. Apparently, they don’t like much of the current music, which I can certainly understand.

Depends which parent. My father has absolutely no interest whatsoever in music of any kind.

My mother’s tastes are a lot more interesting. She was always really into folk, and I grew up on Simon & Garfunkel, Joan Baez, Buffy Sainte-Marie and the like. She also likes the Beatles and the Stones, so we have common ground there. On the down side, she likes a lot of typical Mom-style crap like Barry Manilow.

They happened to raise three kids who were absolute music nuts (much to my father’s dismay) and inevitably some of our music grew on Mom. She became a legend amongst our friends for the time she walked into the room where we had the radio on and said, “Oh, Husker Du, I haven’t heard this for a while.”

We have some overlap (mostly classical) but I don’t much care for all that Stan Kenton / Glen Miller / Bing Crosby era stuff, and they have no interest in Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd.

Partially – we both have loved classical music for years. In my case I was brought up on it from infancy. I’m just beginning to have an appreciation for opera, which my parents have enjoyed since their childhoods.

On the other hand, I also like some pop music, and my parents don’t.

How about an option for “they have no idea what my taste in music is like”? I only have my mom left, but I only see her a few times a year and don’t play music around her. I suspect she’d like some and run screaming from the rest.

My parents (especially my mom) schooled us kids heavily when it came to “classic rock.” We listened to their music in the car, we borrowed their records and listen to them in our rooms. Mom is actually quite astute when it comes to knowing music of the 60’s and 70’s.

We’re all big Beatles fans. We all generally like the same songs on the classic rock stations.

Dad never progressed past 1972, but mom is now way more into top 40 pop music than I’ll ever be. She’d much rather listen to whatever is popular than some of my modern indie music. It’s charming.

At home we used to have this Car Tapes Policy which I didn’t realize how great it was until I started sharing cars with people who don’t have it.

We had a tapebox with room for 24 tapes; initially we were divided in three groups (Dad, Mom and us kids), later into 4, so it worked well. Each group got to pick an equal amount of tapes for the box; the box got renewed before and after any long trip and I, as the oldest child, was in charge of it (when I left for college, Middlebro inherited the box). Then during the trip we’d rotate who got to choose a tape.

The first time I picked a tape from the paternal units stack (I think it was Glenn Miller), Dad was so surprised he swerved the car. I said “Dad, I don’t listen to Loquillo because it pisses you off, I do it because I like it. Matter of fact, I’ve specifically kept the songs that piss you off worst off the tapes, which you might have noticed if you paid attention instead of getting instantaneously angry any time I pop in a Rock’n’Roll tape. And I happen to like Glenn Miller too, they’re not incompatible.”
I haven’t tried pumping Rammstein up around Mom, maybe I should.

Both of my parents are deceased, but there was an awful lot of overlap in our music. I listen to about 33% what my father listened to (classical, broadway), 33% what my mother listened to (standards), and 33% of my own (jazz, classic rock, opera). So I guess, yeah, they liked my taste in music.

Me too. Actually for the longest time the only music I really listened to was the music my parents listened to while I was growing up - Simon & Garfunkel, the Beatles, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, etc. So we share that, but all the music I started listening to on my own, they don’t particularly care for.

I’m 35 and my parents are 60-61. That means we’re all old farts, who musically speaking have a lot more in common with each other than with whatever it is kids are listening to these days.