Doctor Who Season Season 11

I don’t like the new sonic screwdriver and I really don’t like her costume (it still reminds me of Rainbow Brite).

But the story and Doctor herself were fine.

They’re smaller on the inside than they appear on the outside.

I enjoyed the episode. Part of it was missing having any Doctor Who for so long.

I liked Jodie although I do agree, we used CC a few times. I’m sure it will grow on me.

I also agree, although it can be a fine line, that the line of the Doctor was defensive or them making the choice and stopping them compared to murder. However, I could get behind her being a bit too hard on the crane operator.

I liked the companions and agree not seeing the other person did ruin that a bit but some good development. I was also happy that Ryan was talking about his grandmother! And that he couldn’t suddenly ride the bike. Nice little touches.

So, my usually nitpicky quibbles but I enjoyed it and wanted the next one right away!

Not at all. See post 57 for a clarification: the vast majority that turn up on screen seem to be annoyances, at best.

Yes, totally. Going from “Everyone except the Brigadier” to “still less than a dozen” is the very epitome of moving the goalposts.

So, was the audience suppose to not see the companions teleporting with The Doctor at the end coming from a thousand miles away, or were only the characters supposed to be surprised?

Dont forget Number 4 straight up murdered Solon in Brain of Morbius by sending cyanide gas up the chimney.

And my fourteen year-old self was never the same.

You’re missing a couple of words there.

IOW, the vast majority have not been competent.

Naah, you don’t get to appeal to weasel words when you’ve followed them up with non-comparables like “only” and “ever”. The latter negates that weaselling sense of the former.

Maybe for those who didn’t fail high school English twice. :slight_smile:

I know what I meant, which was not “everyone except the Brigadier”.

Screwdriver question, brought up by rewatching “Day of the Doctor”.

So, apparently the 13 Doctors have all been using the same sonic, in a Theseus’ ship sense.

However, the new Doctor built hers brand-new. So, I think this means they have written out using the “the sonic has been calculating a solution for centuries” dodge, right? Which is good thing, IMO.

Until another few centuries go by…

Jodie Whittaker is so beautiful.

That is all.

Unless the various screwdrivers are all versions of one universal screwdriver… a Platonic sonic. :smiley:

My teenager’s take on the pilot was that the new Doctor was “really good, David Tennant good”.

I don’t expect complete continuity even within one Doctor or one show runner let alone across the entire run of all Doctors.

There are throw away lines that won’t be consistent. Personality traits and beliefs that will vary. Yeah, the Doctor has often expressed disdain for most soldiers and weapons (remember his dislike of Danny Pink), as a general rule. Yet the Doctor has killed more and used more advanced weapons than those so disdained. No one says the Doctor lives by the rules the Doctor judges others by.

FWIW I heard the knife line as a joke, a riff on what other Doctors had said about guns modified ad absurdium given the clear general utility of knives, how much the sonic has been used as an all purpose weapon, and the locale of the episode. YMMV.

Here’s a question. What are the essential traits that every Doctor must have in order to be the Doctor? And how well does this Doctor inhabit these traits?

I was under the impression that there were a few situations where the Doctor got a new one from the TARDIS. And he did give one to River Song, meaning more than one exists. Of course, some seasons have had centuries elapse in them, so that doesn’t mean the “calculating for centuries” is a problem.

I don’t think they’ll go there with this Doctor, given that they are going for a more episodic feel. It would have to be a one-off in the episode.

BTW, my fanwank is that, in-universe, it’s called a sonic screwdriver not because it works with sonic waves, but because it makes a certain noise when working and has the general form factor of a screwdriver. The technology that makes that noise is called “sonic.”

Anything is better than sonic sunglasses.

Yes she is. But how would you compare her to Leela?

They’ve had the actual unit get lost, stolen, or destroyed before and the Doctor just turns up with another one later. I think the data on the device the Doctor carries gets backed up to some central store on the TARDIS, so they all have continuity even if a particular one has to be replaced.

The only way the doctor was able to do that was to cross his own timeline and send the instructions back to his old self, which they’ve established is extremely dangerous and risks destroying everything whenever he does it. So it’s already not a trick she can pull out on a whim to solve any complicated problem, it’s something that she can only use if she’s willing to risk destroying the universe.

Reading up some … Ten made some guns are stupid comments and Twelve about contempt for soldiers … but it really has not been something that crosses consistently across regenerations, mostly showing up in NuWho after the Time war (and the War Doctor’s experiences).

All the more reason to hear the knife comment as a joke at Ten’s expense.