Doctor Who Season Season 11

The new doctor is later in the timeline. Remember that the calculations were completed by the Matt Smith era. Peter and Jodie come much later.

Not all the classic Doctors even had the sonic screwdriver. The First Doctor never did–it debuted about halfway through the Second Doctor’s time, in the story Fury From the Deep. The Third and Fourth Doctors used it a lot. The assumption was always that it was the same device, even though its appearance did change over the years.

It was destroyed in the Fifth Doctor story The Visitation, specifically to prevent the Doctor from having a “magic wand” that could solve any story problem. There was no suggestion that he could get a new one–indeed, he said, “I feel like I’ve lost an old friend,” and it never appeared again in the original series.

NuWho brought it back, and added the notion that every Doctor gets a new version, and that there are spare ones lying around that the Doctor can pass out to other people.

I didn’t take it as a joke at all, unless they’re mocking the knife bans in UK. If they aren’t mocking the knife bans in the UK, then I’d see it as support that only miscreants carry knives.

Your humor mileage may vary.

The Doctor has a habit of being dismissive when in a hurry. I wouldn’t read anything more into the statement other than “I don’t need a knife right now - stop bothering me until I’m done with my current task.”

You’ve changed your tune; I suppose that’s a good thing. It’s certainly an improvement on:

I’m giving Chris Chibnall the new head writer and Jodie a chance.

It’s natural to be curious about the direction Chris will take.

Nobody has yet said “It’s bigger on the inside!”, correct?
So which companion do you think will say it?

Seriously, kudos for being able to get over your initial … rigidity … and approaching the new series with a more open mind.

I think there are many like you.

The show will maintain, grow, or lose its viewership based on how well Whittaker creates and inhabits a Doctor that is different enough while being the same enough and most of all interesting/fun enough, and how well Chinball runs a show that hits all the notes that Who has to hit. If they do that viewers like you will keep watching and more will join. If not? Oh well.

Spoiler for the setting of an upcoming episode:

The third episode is apparently called “Rosa” and is set in 1950’s Alabama. Intriguing…

Well, nobody has seen the Tardis yet …

My bet? Graham suggesting “It’s a bit smaller than I was expecting.”

So - watched the episode with ‘Grumpy Old Man Mode’ switched off - I still don’t see the line “only idiots need a knife” as a joke - but I’m willing to let it slide - and I’m hoping that the line comes back later to bite when she suddenly finds she, in fact, needs a knife for a particular situation.

Lets face it - second only to a towel, a knife is one of the must useful tools to have around. There’s even a rule about always carrying one.

Beyond that - I thought the episode was enjoyable - I thought much like when #9 showed up, that it was a good intro for new viewers and alot of things for existing fans. I was very fond of her predecessor and am very curious as to where she takes the role.

Maybe the Doctor herself will say it.

Here is the new title sequence if you are curious.

Ah, a forgettable episode. I feel bad for the new Doctor. She’s had two episodes, does her best, but honestly, this is just the same forgettable crap we’ve been given the past couple years.

What was in the drawer that the Doctor ate at the end? I assume that it was a callback to something, but it wasn’t a jelly baby or a fishstick.

A custard cream biscuit. Not a callback, just a quirky thing, apparently specially added for Jodie.

:Looks at poster’s name: Well, it’s reassuring that you approve.

Same, really. I really liked the setting of the first episode.

Sort of a heroic super-nerd, brains over brawn, a tiny bit of a teacher, but also a bit too full of himself; and of course, “never cowardly nor cruel.”

The second episode reminds me a bit of some of the weird Eleven episodes, and one of the Nine episodes, if less bleak. It was a bit stressful to watch, but by the end I figured the ship would *have *to show up. It wasn’t as much fun as running around Sheffield, but I liked the three guest actors well enough. It sounds like the blue jerks from the previous episode are going to be a thing this year.

Remember, kids - guns bad, exploding gas fields good.

I enjoyed the second episode, with a few grumpy misgivings. I’m always slightly annoyed when an alien race we’ve never heard of before suddenly becomes a ubiquitous Big Bad; I know you can’t plan too far ahead on these things but it always feels abrupt. And then they go away suddenly (I mean, who cares about the Silence now?). And we’ve got yet another Mystery From The Doctor’s Past and’or catchphrase/nickname (“Timeless Child”) that random alien beings taunt the Doctor about. After, what, two millennia of life you’d have thought all these things would have been revealed by now.

That said, it was an otherwise enjoyable and action-packed episode. The “Call of Duty” sequence was hilarious, the scenery was nice and we got sufficient tragic backstories for the other characters to make them relatable. The new TARDIS is…new, but I suppose it will grow on me. And you can’t beat a custard cream dispenser.

Far too much sonic screwdriver!

And as for the new TARDIS

As a first impression, I didn’t like how it looked like the police box was only a vestibule they went though to reach the main space. It would have been better if they didn’t have ‘Police Box’ in bright lights to indicate the way out again. IMHO.