Doctors seem oblivious to the fact that emotions can make us sick??

I have been blessed with good health for most of my life. I have had 2 periods where my health collapsed about 40 years apart. Several more minor episodes in between that I was able to get control of quickly. In my case emotions were 100% responsible for my health issues. 40 years ago it was the first thing my Dr. addressed. This last time I couldn’t get them to even considerate it as a possibility. I have seen the same thing with a multitude of friends. What is up with this?? It doesn’t seem to make any sense at all.

Similarly, they seem oblivious to the link between psychology and health disorders. Doc told me for years “what to do”. It was pointless, I already knew what to do. The real problem was that I wasn’t doing it, despite knowing full well it was what I needed to do.

Only after I addressed the root psychological cause, on my own, was I able to follow through with what I was supposed to do. Had he recommended that psychology might be a critical factor in my behavior, I could’ve fixed this problem years ago. I had to figure it out on my own.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. A surgeon will want to cut you, a chiropractor will want to squeeze you, an endocrinologist will want to give you hormones.

Doctors are taught to look for the horse, not the zebra.

Yep.

This works the other way, too. Go into a psychiatrist’s office and tell them you feel depressed. Think they’ll check your hormones or your iron levels? Or do a SPECT scan? Doubtful.