It seems like about ten years ago “they” started really going nuts about selling alcohol to people under 21 in the United States (I may be off by a few years). Stores are really, really diligent about checking IDs just about everywhere in the 'States, presumably because of the level of scrutiny by the powers that be and the levels of repercussions if caught selling to “minors.” (I put that in quotes because I really don’t see why a person who is 20 years old is still a minor in this one respect only.)
Where does this zealotry come from? I don’t know anyone who really cares about keeping alcohol away from young adults, and many (most?) agree that it is better to learn to drink responsibly than to suddenly go on a ridiculous and probably dangerous binge on one’s 21st birthday.
Does anyone here think it’s important to prevent any and all alcohol consumption by people under 21? I know there is the drunk driving aspect, but that’s an issue at any age, and is arguably made worse by people not learning how to drink responsibly. What do you think?