Does Etiquette Evolve? -- or, That Should've Been a Text

Your own link says

The cell phone remains a controversial but increasingly accepted means of communication in some Amish communities.

Each community has their own rules- some permit cell phones and some do not. But even those that permit cell phones may not permit people to walk around with the phone on their person at all times - the Amish objection to phones was never based on the technology itself but rather its potential to disrupt their lifestyle. A phone shanty down at the end of the lane doesn’t lend itself to pre-teens or teenagers being on the phone all evening and not participating in family life.

@Miller – Probably depends on the particular Amish; both group and individuals. The only Amish I ordinarily deal with must be using a neighbor’s phone or a community phone shack; the only way to reach them by phone is to call during a particular hour in the morning.

Also depends considerably on the particular Mennonites, who vary a great deal more than the Amish. Among the particular Old Order Mennonites I know, everybody has a landline phone at home, but nobody carries a cell phone; and they don’t have internet connections, though they may attend a zoom etc. meeting by going to visit somebody who does have one. Members of more liberal Mennonite groups may have both cell phones and online computers.

ETA: I’m assuming that the reason the son of one of our previous market vendors, who’s taking over their market space starting this year, has internet is because he shifted to a more liberal denomination; but I suppose it’s possible that he’s still in his father’s congregation but the practice is changing. I didn’t ask.

I cannot really argue with any of that :slight_smile:

I do answer the telephone, at least after a glance at the displayed number, on the principle it may be a genuine emergency. Thus subjecting me to the inevitable spam/robocalls, though there are some apps that can help mitigate that.

Some of my friends and neighbours, however, have chosen to turn their devices off, or at least not to answer it [not to answer my calls, anyway :smiley: ] during certain times of the day, and, yes, a couple of times this meant I could not reach someone regarding a relatively urgent matter.

ETA sometimes one has no choice: if I am in the middle of a lecture, for example, then obviously I will not be taking any phone calls. And that is hardly the only such circumstance. So if my apartment were to be consumed by flames at such a moment, I would not find out until a little later.

Yeah. No. I have my phone for my use and convenience, not for anyone else. If they want to use it for their convenience, they can pay the bill.