Does every goddamn thing on earth have to be left or right wing?

It’s an election year. What do you expect?

Fluffy puppies are bipartisan.

Puppies?

Brown little parasites feeding off the good will of their betters.

Yes. Everything marketed for babies must be designated as either for boys or for girls, never for both, and every idea must be designated either left-wing or right-wing, never both. People might get confused if it weren’t that way.

See, if every idea is designated as left-wing or right-wing, you can just look at the label and know right away which one you should agree with. It saves you all that messy and tiring thinking about whether or not you agree with a particular idea.

Okay, sunsets.

WOW.

Somebody else gets it. Thanks.

Sadly you are spitting into the wind my friend. We live in an era of extremists who love to play this simpleton “us vs them” lunacy. “Their” side/candidate/viewpoint is always right and the “other side” is always wrong and evil and stupid. Doesn’t matter if it’s hard-core liberals or hard-core conservatives. Two sides of the same brain-dead coin.

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid.

True enough, we’re programmed for dualities.

Abstract: In this paper we exam an algorithm for assigning statements a numerical value and determine the threshold a Linear Threshold Function will use for classifying them as either left or right wing.

I’ve been reading too many machine learning papers recently.

The only thing in the middle of the road is yellow lines and dead opossum. :smiley:

I think Jragon is half-joking but all-or-none thresholding is often key to decision making. Primitive man is often faced with Fight-or-Flee decisions.

Advances in society led to more nuanced thinking but some “modern” things, e.g. the 15-second soundbite, may tend to reversion.

For example, I was astounded by the black-or-white thinking of an “English teacher” in recent threads who assumed anyone favoring taxes on the rich must think they’re evil, or anyone not despising Ho Chi Minh must love him.