Does George Bush have Something Up his Slleve?

Well, it looks like the world is dead set against a war with iraq…I wonder if this provides a wonderful “out” for the USA! Suppose Bush now announces, that due to the lack of international support, that henceforth the US will:
-remove its troops fromW. Europe
-remove troops from japan and Korea, and close the naval base at Sasebo, japan
-end all support for UN peacekeeping missions
Along with this, weissue an ultimatum to Iraq and A-Queda, something like:
…" any attack of any kind upon the US, its embassies or citizens abroad, with be considered to have come from iraq. Such attacks will be met by the total destruction of Iraq"
Target those Trident warheads!
Meanwhile, instead of spending billions on a war in the middle east, we deploy the army and the navy to protect the US. The navy will nbe instructed to sink all vessels carrying contraband (such as cargoes containing weapons for Iraq), and the Army will be deployed on the borders, and will stop all suspicious charcters from entering the US.
Just a thought.

I am often tempted, these days, to fly into a rant about GWB’s resolute path toward war, and my suspicions about his motives. I know, though, that he cares not what I think. My ranting only makes me sadder. I shall not rise to the bait.

Not that this is Great Debates or anything, but what does a modern democracy with one of the healthiest economies in the world have to gain by isolating itself completely?

Because that’s what you seem to be suggesting.

“A wonderful out”? Impending doom, more likely.

My feeling, sadly, is that GWB doesn’t have anything up his sleeve other than his arm. He wants war and is willing to piss off anyone and everyone to have it.

George W. has the same thing up his sleeve that he has between his ears, nothing.

By ralph124c: “Well, it looks like the world is dead set against a war with iraq…I wonder if this provides a wonderful “out” for the USA! Suppose Bush now announces, that due to the lack of international support, that henceforth the US will:” <snip> (Underlining mine)

Sixteen of the nineteen NATO members favor the position of the U.S… France, Belgium and Germany are the three opposed. This hardly constitutes a “lack of international support”, IMHO.

Isolationism didn’t work in previous world situations, and is credited with being a major cause of the world wide Great Depression of the 1930’s. It would probably work even worse today.

NATO’s one thing, John, but the real authority to convince is the UN Security Council. The odds aren’t as favourable for GWB there.

That’s true, but why do the people who hate W get to keep saying that “The world is opposed to Bush’s ideas” in that flat-fact tone?

Actually, I think what George has up his sleeve is the names of his cabinet advisors and aides.

Of course, the White House Communications Director has to re-ink them daily, but isn’t that what lackies are for?

What does George W Bush have up his sleevies? His armies, of course! :slight_smile: