Does registering to vote significantly increase the likelihood of jury duty?

I know several people who have not registered to vote for this reason. (And interestingly, these are not politically apathetic people.)

My impression is that voter registration rolls are one of several sources for the jury pool. But how big of an impact is this one source? (All these people have drivers licenses.)

In my state it does, and I’ve heard other states used the voter rolls for that purpose. I think it’s a reliable way to find state citizens with recent addresses to mail the summonses to.

I voted this morning. I almost never get called for jury duty, the last time was over 15 years ago.

I know people who received jury summons despite not being citizens. (They were green card holders but ones with driver’s licenses, so the voter rolls are only one source of possible jurors.)

It appears that at least as of 2008 (admittedly a good while ago), the State of Ohio largely uses voter rolls as the exclusive source for building jury pools. A 2005 law that was passed allowing them to also use driver records supposedly is “largely ignored” by the Ohio court system, with one court clerk saying many years ago they tried using driving records and didn’t like them for various reasons.

I’m sure it varies by state.

I am registered to vote in Virginia and have been called for jury duty twice in the last 26 years. I had never been called in the 21 years prior to that I was registered to vote variously in Maryland, Michigan, DC, and back to Maryland. I think it is a sad commentary that people in a democratic society want to shirk their duty to participate in our legal justice system.

All the years I lived and voted in Ohio, and never once was called for jury duty. In Texas I was called twice in 5 years.

It probably has to do with the size of the county/community I lived in.

Agreed. We need jurors. The more people on the rolls, the less often any one person gets called.

I lived in New York state for 17 years. After 15 years there was a scandal regarding celebrities being excused from jury duty just for being famous and following that there was a crackdown. I got a summons 2 weeks later. I assume they were scouring the rolls for people who had never been called. I was selected to serve on a jury but they didn’t want me. Since moving to RI I’ve been summoned 3 times, the first two I waited and wasn’t needed, the 3rd time awaiting knee surgery I would need special accommodations and they weren’t interested.

Someone noted in a different thread that if you ignore a jury duty summons nothing will likely happen. The justice system is too busy to be tracking down people who will insist they never received a summons in the first place.

My state uses state issued driver’s licenses and ID cards to pick potential jurors. Since 2002, I have been selected 3 times for jury duty, I just received notice last week I have been selected again. Then there are others, like my wife and a couple siblings, that have never been selected. I will be going in this time asking for a medical accommodation which may keep me from being selected for a jury.

“Because we’re afraid to register, we get trump elected, Roe v Wade overturned, roll back gay rights a hundred years, but at least by god we never had to have jury duty!”

I don’t know why people are so put out by it. I’d live to be on a jury, but they never call me. If my many experiences of actually getting this close to voir dire and then everyone gets sent home, I don’t know how justice ever gets served.

Here’s the way it works in Missouri

The master jury list shall be comprised a selection of names from a at least two sources, which can be the personal property tax list, voter’s registration list, and driver’s license records. The list will consist of not less than five percent of the total population of the county or city not within a county, but never less than 400 names.

I live in St. Louis County Missouri. I’ve been called for jury duty twice. My friend lives in the City of St. Louis. He’s been called 14 times. You’d think no one in the city owns property or has a driver’s license.

It’s state dependent. In Texas, the pool consists of those who have a driver’s license, a state ID card, or have registered to vote.

I suppose you can dodge all of these in theory, but that’s a rather extreme thing to do to avoid your civic duty.

I’ve mentioned this before (I live in California). My husband, a citizen of Japan who has a permanent residency permit (green card) and a driver’s license, gets called every year, and we send back the notification that he is not a citizen. I am a registered voter and have a driver’s license, and I haven’t been called in over 20 years. So the premise in the OP doesn’t seem to work in my jurisdiction, rather the reverse if we are any example.

I think it’s probably a mistake to assume that people so opposed to civic responsibility that they give up the franchise to avoid jury duty would vote the way you might hope.

In California they use both drivers licenses and voting rolls. When I was on a jury the judge told us to make sure our names were spelled the same on both or else you double your chance of being called. So, if you drive, voting should not increase your chances assuming you have one record.
The judge also told us that after you’ve been on a jury you get called more, which seems to be the case for me.

In Alaska, they used the Permanent Fund list. If you try to get out of jury duty, the judge asks if you want to be removed from that list. (they do accept valid excuses)

“Because we’re afraid to register, we get that communist Biden elected, an invasion of illegals stealing our wimmen, and now trans people have right just like us, but at least by god we never had to have jury duty!”

Purely anecdotal data: When I was living in Chicago, it seemed that every time I moved, which meant that I had to change my voter registration to a new address, I would get called for jury duty within the next year. After I bought a house, after being called for jury duty once, I was never called again for the nearly twenty years I lived there.

Since I moved to North Carolina, I have been called for jury duty once, shortly after I bought my current house, and haven’t been called for the last ten years.

Ha ha. I’m Canadian, but my logic is simple and works in the USA too - if you look at your paycheque, odds are the taxes taken off (plus sales tax) add up to the biggest expense you have other than maybe housing. So if you don’t vote, you’re letting the idiots down the street who do decide how to spend your money.