[QUOTE=Gleena]
You ask about the bible and “other religious writings”, and then go on to opine about a worldview not encompassing only the bible.
And then you go on to ask for only US opinions (hope I’m allowed to answer as an ex-pat yank!)
So, my questions to you, so that we can narrow the debate are:
What religious writings do you wish to include, or should we discuss only the bible?
If only the bible, then do we then conclude that the early Christian cults/Paul/etc. never existed, or that they were never written about?
If you wish to discuss the bible’s influence on US law only, must we discount the source of US law, which is English Common Law? (Louisiana does differ in this respect, I admit.)*
You pose a debate seemingly to discuss whether man can govern himself without outside intervention - i.e., a god and the laws laid down by that supernatural entity. Is this what you’re aking?
.
[/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]
I am just talking about religious writings in general. And since I wanted to bring up “laws” into the question, I narrowed it down to the U.S. only. Because The Bible isn’t the only exclusive religious text in the U.S.
There (as I’m sure you’re aware) are all kinds of religions in the country.
My main question is, do you think these writings maintain order among the masses that follow them? I guess I could summarize it better with that question.
Sometimes I type so fast and have so many questions, I forget context. 