Does the Butt Clean Itself?

Thanks Colibri and Qadgop. I actually knew about the transfer of colonic bacteria due to the whole general midsection having a bacterial presence, but somehow the idea of eating shit revulsed me so much I forgot that this is going on all the time.

If you’re someone who:

1. Showers, not bathes
  2. Is sexually active

I would say you should wash daily back there. Even if it were true that the ass cleans itself, and people in bygone times were happy with that, in the modern world fecal odors (let alone streaks on the bed :eek:) are a big turn off.

I keep a separate sponge just for the purpose of washing between the cheeks. (I use a gentle soap and throw out the sponge regularly, obvs)

Warning: the preceding information and thread is TMI

Really does make you grateful you live in the modern era, doesn’t it?

That seems like it would get rather laborious while squatting.

If true at all, then I think they would write on the pottery before it shatters, which would imply that they bought purpose-crafted earthenware for using as a wiping/scraping implement post-shattering, wrote on it, and then shattered it.

That sounds plausible to me, in that form, but I would expect to find caches of really poor quality earthenware that has some sort of fragmentation design (like a traditional pineapple grenade) to make it more likely to split into appropriate-sized chunks, in the archaeological record, and I’m not aware of such a thing at the moment (though, this is also the type of pottery that wouldn’t last as long and wouldn’t look good in a museum).

I don’t know why you would think that, given the amount of graffiti in modern toilet stalls. (And squatting isn’t that uncomfortable, especially if you are used to it. Lots of people in traditional cultures squat to rest rather than sitting down.)

Shatters in the Shitters. Hmmmm?

In modern times we have ballpoint pens. Though I do realize that I was assuming that people would be using one-shard-per-scrape which is probably not correct. If you’re going to use the same implement for a few passes, then scribbling on it while you’re still pooping might make sense. If you’re picking up a new shard and scribbling on it between scrapes, that seems like more work than it’s worth.

This being the Dope, perhaps I may suggest some experiments might be in order?:wink:

Wouldn’t broken shards be sharp? I think leaves would feel better. Maybe even a handful of dirt.

ETA No. I won’t be experimenting.

Rabelais listed a number of his preferred bumwipes in his literary work Gargantua.

He felt a goose neck was best. Beyond that, he had this to say:

More of his ratings may be found in the link. But here’s a few more quotes on the topic:

:smiley:

Was the goose alive? Ho-ly shit! Er…I mean, I am astounded!

Based on the described warmth of the goose, I assume it was alive. However, you do realize the whole thing is an extended poop joke?

Yeah, we had to read Gargantua and Pantagruel in a comparative literature class in college. It’s…different. Ribald, totally over-the-top, and very weird. 35 years later, the only part of it I really remember is the chapter about butt-wiping. :smiley:

Maybe.

In days of yore when folks were poor
one had to be pragmatic
We’d wipe our tush
with a lavender bush
which left them aromatic.

Did you ever finish your PhD in defecation?