Does the World "Deserve" a Recession?

Perhaps this is General Question, perhaps it is just me sounding out words in order to clarify my thoughts. Sometimes thinking out loud helps me clarify my thoughts.

Of slavery Lincoln once mused (and I paraphrase) the “Perhaps it is not until every drop of blood spilled by the lash is matched by one spilled by the bayonet” that the Civil War would end. That is to say that the suffering of slaves must be repaid by equal suffering by the enslaving race.

This appeals to a certain primitive moralistic “eye for an eye” sort of reasoning.

Tell me, **does anyone hold to, has anyone advanced, the argument that the present economic reversal is the just desserts for society’s (perceived) sins? **

Oddly it could be made as a right-wing sort of Old Testament sort of argument, or as a left-wing “the Earth Goddess seeks balance” sort of argument.

It was not the world that got rich off these instruments. It was the chosen few. They gathered up huge amounts of money from the masses. We have many muti -millionaires and billionaires now. it is the masses who have to pay for these transgressions though. Unemployment ,a drop in production, homeowner losses pensions being gutted, thats how we pay. The perps will be fine. They have tons of money. Paulson is worth 750 mill. He will do fine. He will not lose any of his houses.

I somehow feel understanding all this is right at the edge of my ability.

I agree with you to a point, but it isn’t all true. There are a lot of people out there that are living in houses that are too large for their income to support, driving in cars that they can’t afford, and taking vacations to exotic places that their parents only dreamed of because they had enough damned sense not to borrow the money to go on those vacations.

Most of us are guilty of this…

Does the World “Deserve” a Recession?

Only if: It’s a Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad World.
ETA: if they made a movie with that title, maybe it, too, could have a big ‘W’ that the plot revolves around. :smiley:

It would be found under the big B. I suggest looking at womens cheeks.

I think the global economy very possibly has approached it’s terminal velocity, meaning it has officially capped out. I’ve been thinking about this for a while now, so good timing Paul.

Anyone else think we have truly gone too far for what our economic infrastructure can handle?

No, but I think the big 3 U.S. automakers deserve it for the "gross voitures Americaines"* they’ve been stuck on since the gas crisis #1 in 1973. And the usurious banks with all their user-unfriendly fees and penalties, and the derivative mess.

*As my French friends called the ‘huge American cars’ way back in the '60s when I lived there.