Does the X-Files still hold up?

Her clothes are incredibly dowdy, frumpy, dated, and ill-fitting. At the time the original episodes were airing, her clothes seemed sort of like what you might expect an FBI agent to wear–conservative nondescript suits. Now…well, that picture gallows fodder posted is an excellent example. If you can’t see why her outfit is hideous by today’s standards, well, buddy, I can’t help you.

That was just a random picture, too – I’m sure she wore worse things than that!

It’s called the Chris Carter Effect for a reason. He might have had some idea where it was going to begin with, but he completely lost the plot partway through and pulled the later stuff from his ass. It’s frustrating as hell especially if you’re like me and can imagine where he could have gone with the threads he left hanging.

Amusingly, this very expression is used to describe the actions of a central figure.

Nothing spoiler tagged is a real spoiler (all very minor points not related to the “mystery”) but someone might still want to view the movie completely unawares.

My wife is the huge X-Files fan in the family so I went off to see the movie last Friday without being rabidly interested. It was… okay? It was a long X-Files episode. Which I guess is good if you like that kind of thing. The production felt kind of shoddy (and I’m not one to normally notice those things) as if it wasn’t meant to be seen on the big screen. And it didn’t seem exceptionally newbie friendly – if you weren’t familiar with the show, you weren’t really filled in on why your should give a rat’s ass about the characters. A few things went right over my head, such as that Mulder was living with Scully; I thought she just knew where he was living but, again, I never saw the ending of the series where it was established. Their kid was mentioned for about five seconds and then dropped as if the writers thought “We’d better work his existance in somehow 'cause someone’s gonna ask.” Because I didn’t know that Scully was “in hiding” with Mulder, I couldn’t noodle out why SuperDoctor Scully was spending her days getting her ass chewed out by angry Catholics at some backwoods hospital.

Good feature length episode I guess but not much of a movie.

X-files is currently my 17-y-o youngest daughter’s fave show. She says seasons 2-5 or so were great, but now that they are into the shows after Scully got abducted, they are pretty much crap.

Seemed pretty consistent with my recollection.

Yeah, I see it… but, I really couldn’t tell your point from your original posting. You could just as easily have been saying that her clothes were too skimpy and revealing (anyone remember the double robe-closing in Humbug?).

By the way, I watched the episode Home recently.

Now that would have been a stand-alone movie that delivers after a 6 year gap. Of course, it would have been R rated.

I still can’t believe they got that episode on the air.