Does this designated driver service exist elsewhere?

In South Korea there are businesses that will provide you with a designated driver so that you can drink all you want without risking drunk driving or leaving your car behind. You just call them and tell them where you are and where you’re going and someone will come over to drive you and your car home. Is this kind of service widespread or unheard of elsewhere?

I’ve heard of a service in the UK where you rang a number and someone would come out on a small scooter, shove it in the boot of your car and drive you home. I think it was in London.

I don’t know whether it still exists.

Yeah, isn’t it called a taxi?

Nevermind, taxis don’t drive your car home. But I don’t think I’d want that - I don’t think my insurance would even cover it.

I remember in New Zealand they had a thing where a taxi driver would bring another person who would drive your car home. I’m not sure what happened to the idea.

A good friend of mine used to do this - 2-3 yrs ago.

He got fed up with drunken tossers giving him gyp as he drove home that he jacked it in pretty quickly though.

I think it tends to be a London-only thing, certainly not in more rural areas.

Starting in the 80’s Wisconsin started having similar programs. The people didn’t drive your car home though. People got a ride home for free, paid by bars ussualy. Some times it’s taxis, but many programs were with volenteers. I don’t think a bussiness model exactly like you have there exists in the USA. Call them and pay for them driving your car and you home.

The scooter-in-the-boot thing was set up in Australia about five or six years ago, but it mustn’t have worked, because I can’t remember hearing of it since.

Some places in Japan have had this service for a few years now. It is called “運転代行” (unten daikoh - substitute driving) where a taxi comes and has an extra driver. The paying passenger rides the taxi home and the extra driver follows along in the passenger’s car.

A service still alive and kicking not only in London, but scattered across cities in the UK:

I give you…

SCOOTERMAN.co.uk

I read a newspaper article a few months ago about how a few companies are offering a the holiday “tipsy tow” service year round now. You pay a monthly fee and they come give you a ride home and tow your car home when you go out and have one too many.

Isn’t the monthly fee subsidized? I like to have the “occasional” drink, but I can’t justify paying a monthly fee for the service. I’ve heard they’re going to start implementing that year round here, also.

In places in Canada, you can get a ride from Operation Red Nose. It’s a volunteer service though. The page says it’s international, but I don’t see how to get info for other countries.

Thanks for the replies everyone (except Rigamarole :dubious: ). So I guess the answer is… Sort of.

I’ve seen it a few times, mainly in rural pubs where you’ve got pretty much no chance of getting a taxi. In the cases I’ve seen, I think it was a service provided by the pub.

There is a company here in Denver (they may be in more than just our metro area) called NightRiders, that will provide that service for you.

There’s a company here in Northern CA like that. I believe it’s www.wedriveu.com. I’ve used them a few times, and it was well worth the price.

Yeah, the local pub where I used to live (in a small village) would run a free pick-up and return service if there were 6+ people.

It had to be within 10 miles, but I guess the cost of the petrol was outweighed by 6 people eating and drinking for a whole evening.

They had this too in Dublin. The scooter was tiny and folded up, and could fit into the boot (trunk) of the car.

Not as described, but Navarra was the first place to implement the Voy y Vengo (“I go and I come back”). These are free buses that pick up partygoers and later return them; the official, original Voy Y Vengos move between the villages in southern Navarra during the festivals period (June 28th to September 30th). Similar services are in place for out-of-town dance clubs, festivals (Benicássim, Benidorm), etc.

They pick up and drop people off at designated spots, not at their doorstep. Dropping off a whole 60 people busload one at a time would take forever. Since most partygoers are too young/poor to own a car, not needing one in the first place is a big plus.