Does this look like a good entry level gaming rig for $730?

From here.

Specs:

I’m a little concerned about the video card. This seems to indicate it’s not very good.

Yeah that video card isn’t really meant for modern high end gaming. It’s fine for indie old stuff though.

The power supply should be a brand name and 500 watt as well. The CPU is great.

For modern gaming I’d recommend the the R9 270 at $180, or the 760 or 7950 if your budget allows it ($250-260).

Are you willing to build your own PC, or do you want something pre-built?

I’m honestly just trying to fins a good rig at a decent price but I keep bumping into the $1000 spot which after upgrades it looks like this system would hit.

I guess I could build my own but it’s been at least 20 years since I was setting pins, swapping out cards, setting memory addresses and stuff like that so I’m really a noob.

Replacing your PSU is a piece of piss (and you will want more than 300W for a decent GPU and running that CPU), and installing graphics cards are even easier. Your motherboard has a PCIe slot, for most decent modern GPUs just slot it in, hook up the 6/8 pin power, do your drivers and off you go.

When you’re buying a new PSU that’s one of the things you’ll want to check, there would be nothing more frustrating than buying a new GPU only to discover your CPU doesn’t have an 8 pin supply.

Most modern PSU’s will have the 6 and 8 pin connectors though at the 500+ watt level at least.

IT’s really easy putting a PC together, assuming you don’t have any DOA components, it shoudl go without a hitch.

Something like this maybe?

http://cart.microcenter.com/cart.aspx

i5 3570k
z77 mobo
8 gigs of RAM
500 Watt Corsair PSU
1 TB harddrive
Case
GTX 760 GPU
~$800

Or go with the R9 270X : ASUS Radeon R9 270 Video Card R9270-DC2OC-2GD5 - Newegg.com

For ~$720

I also like this case: http://www.microcenter.com/product/399001/Elite_120_Advanced_Mini_ITX_Case_(RC-120A-KKN1)

Forgot about the OS. If you don’t have a retail windows key you can use, windows 8 OEM is $99.

If you wrestled with trying to turn a heap of components into a working system in the 90’s, building today’s computers will feel like a Lego set in comparison. Only part that might be unfamiliar would be attaching the heatsink since the old systems barely bothered with them. Those plastic pins can be finicky.

Forgot the OS.

At ibuy power a similar build is coming in at $1,000 with an OS.

You cna also save some more by slumming it with a R9 260, a 400 watt PSU, a 500 GB HD, a cheapo case and the AS Rock H-61M saving you about $300.

You can then upgrade the GPU and PSU in one fell swoop in a year or two for something much faster for less money.

And I just realized that cart isn’t going to work. I went with the intel i5 and AS rock bundle you cna find on the website here: Amazing Bundle Deals | Micro Center

Going cheaper will still net you decent performance at 1080p medium to medium-high settings for the next year or two.

Thing is with Steam machines coming out, Steam OS, etc, etc, getting into PC gaming is going to get cheaper and easier very soon… So If you already have a gaming PC, it might be prudent to wait a year and just upgrade your GPU a little bit for the time being. The same money in a year will probably get you a LOT more performance.

I don’t think Steam boxes are going to shake things up that much in the market. And Steam OS as your primary OS is only reasonable if you don’t mind being restricted to the very limited Linux games catalog. That may change moving forward but it won’t convert all the current/past PC games.

Quite right. Check out this chart on that site. You should be looking at a Geforce 660 or Radeon 7870 at least. Your focus for this PC is gaming so you shouldn’t skimp on the GPU. And you’ll need a beefier PSU to cope.

Well, it’s an “entry level” gaming rig according to the OP. 7870 is a good card but I wouldn’t feel any obligation to go above $250 at most. A solid, current processor and motherboard now will mean he can flip out cards as his heart and wallet allow for a good long while.

That GT 630 is junk though.

You could cut that to an i3.

The Z77 is the enthusiast motherboard chipset.

Perhaps too good.

I suggest going to www.newegg.com and browsing to Home > Specials > DIY PC Combos to get a feel for pricing. Just remember to add Windows.