Does Trump get indicted?

I voted for “yes, but only by a state.” This choice is stuck at 10%. Come on, Mods, couldn’t you just find me a few dozen more votes? You know you can.

:wink:

Looks more like Grover Giuliani.

This is Grover Guiliani.

Sweating profusely in front of a court judge.

Grover is my fave. I wish you people wouldn’t compare him (or any other innocent muppet) to orange jesus or ghouliani. It’s so mean.

My favorite is the vampire muppet mathematician.

I can’t decide on my favourite muppet. I relate to Stadler & Waldorf (I, too, am a grumpy old man). But I like Zoot. I have something of a crush on Janice.

I agree though, that poor Grover does not deserve this treatment.

Wicked, bad, naughty Zoot!

I guess I should say that Grover is my favorite Sesame Street Muppet. I love all the Muppet Show Muppets, but I love Kermit the best. I’m just a Muppet Show fan girl. :blush:

Oh, staying on topic: Trump has to get indicted and locked up in a jump suit that matches his “tan.” We’re supposed to be a country of laws.

Moderating:

Ok, the hijack into My Favorite Muppet was fun, but it’s time to drop it now. Thanks.

In the last few months, we’ve had vigorous discussions in this thread and others about the propriety and political impact of indicting Trump before the midterms. Now that they’re out of the way, and his impact is being viewed largely as a negative, what do we think about the political implications of indicting him now?

My own thoughts:

• If there’s indictable evidence he broke laws, he should face the same wheels of justice any other person would face. That’s how the law is supposed to work, after all.
  • OTOH, if he’s convicted and removed from the political landscape, that may actually be doing the GOP a double favor. As other Dopers have said, he’d not only be out of the way, but Republicans could make points by blaming Dems for the witchhunt that removed him.

In my ideal world, criminal proceedings against Trump would work against the party that elected and enabled him, but that would require a sane public getting their news from sane sources. How do you all see this going?

Maybe wait until most of the recounts are out of the way and the right has had time to consider that Trump may be the cause of their underperformance in the midterms.

LOL, by “now,” I didn’t mean first thing Monday morning. I meant sometime between now and, say, February.

Or did you mean that it’s simply too soon to gauge the impact?

I’m just saying that the best time to indict Trump is when his popularity is at its lowest. That isn’t right after the election when emotions are still high and easily inflamed by Trump’s “big steal” brand. When things cool down, more on the right will likely start laying blame at Trump’s door and be less enthusiastic about jumping to his defense.

But is it? I want the right jumping to his defense, because aligning with him hurts them nationwide. I’m not especially worried about right-wing violence erupting (and if it does, it only helps the Dems). And I don’t think Trump’s relative popularity at any given time will affect the DOJ’s (or a state’s) ability to convict, since his popularity shouldn’t have any impact on who gets seated on a jury.

OTOH, waiting until he’s less popular lets the right blame him and makes it easy for them to move on.

Actually, first thing Monday maybe the very best time to indict him. He hasn’t declared his candidacy yet, but is promising a big announcement on Tuesday. Indicting him on Monday would take all the wind out of that big announcement.

I don’t expect Garland to move until all the mid-terms are over, including the Georgia contest for senator and the possible RCV final contest in Alaska for their House member. He’ll use the extra time wisely.

So perhaps January or February.

The longer Republicans are in disarray over which candidate to spend obscene amounts of money on elevate for their nominee, the better. It gives them less time to pull together behind one individual. (Or maybe I mean Individual One?)

It also gives more time for Republicans to peel away MAGA supporters toward someone more… palatable, or at least tone down their rhetoric.

I’ve no doubt Trump will be indicted. It’s just a question of when and who gets there first. I think Georgia will indict before DOJ.

To Trump orange is the new tan, so I think the State provided wardrobe will be a win.

I picture a big event Tuesday where Trump announces his 2024 candidacy, and black suits rush the stage and cuff him.

In fact, I kinda have my heart set on watching him frog marched out of his own extravaganza, while they’re releasing the balloons.

I don’t think this should matter. Trump committed serious crimes and there needs to be justice or our laws don’t mean anything. If the Republicans get an advantage in the short run, oh well.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about how Republicans react. If the Democrats don’t do something to upset the GOP the GOP will make something up.