Don’t mind me

just try something I saw somewhere

just try ing something I saw somewhere

ah! that’s got it

The Force is strong with this one.

My cat’s breath smells like cat food.

If you don’t mind, how did you do that?

HTML-style (pointy bracket) tags for superscript and subscript.

<sup>superscripty text</sup>
<sub>subscripty text</sub>

Like this or this

And the lives of hundreds … maybe thousands were forever changed.

(Trying to embed image. Didn’t work. Forget how I did it before.)

There is a small whitelisted list of “safe” html tags such as <sup> and <sub>… as well as <b> and <i> and <a>.

Logic being, some people like to type native HTML rather than BBCode or Markdown.

I was all excited to learn that Markdown has an explicit image tag, since it meant I could embed LaTeX with an online generator directly instead of with extra hackery, but it was not to be. Discourse tells me that:

Sorry, you can’t embed media items in a post.

That seems silly, since we can in fact embed media items. It’s just that we can only use the auto-embedding method (which can go wrong) instead of explicitly.

:slightly_smiling_face:
ETA: just wanted to check that posting only an emoji would go through or if the five letter/word minimum would block it.

That particular emoji takes 23 characters.

Yes but it only shows 1 character, that’s why I wanted to see if it worked.

:grin::rofl::grin::face_with_monocle::grin:

Yep, 1 character each.

Back on our old platform, we had BBCode additions [sup] and [sub], and we had to disable HTML due to some abuse.

I’m impressed with how much HTML you left in—it includes a lot of stuff that I’ve never seen actually used on a website, since just using CSS and DIVs and SPANs or making up your own tags is so easy.

Did you do anything to stop diacritic abuse?

You can max out <sup> and <sub> levels via CSS rules, that’s all I can think of. If you have something in mind that you think might be a problem feel free to PM me!

Į̷̧͖̜̤̭̼͕̟͉̙͙͓͍̖͖̼̝͓̽́́̓͂̍̍̽͊͐́̈́̓̇͛͂͋̋̿͐̊͐̃̚̚̚͠͝͝ͅͅ ̴̢̢̡͔̼͕̈́̈̃͒̍̅̎̽͗̓͗̔̄̀̒̍̚͝ţ̶̧͖̯͍̙͉̹͍͚͓̰̱͍̠̔͛̀̃́̏̉̓̓͊̏̂̆̒̇̈́̌͑̑̾͘͝ͅh̷̡̡̨̛̬̟̖̣̪̗͔̪̟̦̹͈̥̬̩̬͎͓͚̼̻̣̣̩̠̝̠̬̱̙͖́̅͊̈́̈́̀̓͆́̈́̈́̓̏̏͊̀̔͆̾̈͆̂̒̍͒́̄̑̑̕͜͝͝ͅḭ̵̡̫͉̻͎̙͙͈̭͓̦̱͖̦̭̱̰̭̘̱͉̪̥͈̈̉̑̏̉́͒̀͛̾̅̒͘͝ͅn̴̨̢̧̢̢̧̛͔̬̱̰͍͈͓̱̦̱̳̘̫̙̳̻̯̠͇͎̮̮̗̲̖̻͚͕͊͛̍̉̀͂̈́̎͋̾͒̏̄͗̒̿͆̌̈́͗̅͐̏̓͘͝͝͠k̷͓̻͙̲̮͓̦͓̝̻͇͂̾̋́͊͌̿̑̒́̋͊̈͆̕͝͝͝͠ͅͅ ̸̨̹͍̲̻̦̪̙̼̯̲̗͚͎͖̗̠͕̦̟͗́́̋̉̅̓̈̌̊̄̈́̀͊̈́̔͊̽̃̀̅̈́͑͒̈́͘̚̚͜͜͜͝͝ͅţ̵̡̨̛̛̜͚̫̲̖̩̻͉̦͙̹̯̞̝̬̺̫̰̇͗̽̀̾̉̾̑̈́̏̆̎͂͒̊̿̾͒̏̏̆̃͌̓́̔̋͒̈́̄̒͘͝ͅͅḧ̴̡͚̦̺̤̯̲̲͕̹̲͖͔͚̘̩͙̯͉̫̠̬͚̟̠͍̻̬̼̝̋̊̋̂͌͐̋͗̀͊̈́̾͐̀̈́̋̒̃̊̚͜͜i̷̢̦͙̘͎̮͎͓͖̪̝̮͖̬̠̼̟̰͔̣̯̰̫͓͒̆̽̿̇̎̍̂́͐̉́͊͗̽̀̃̽̑̑̐̋͊̕͠͝͝͠͝ͅͅs̸̢̡̤̯͔̼͉͇̼͓̲͇̗̘̼̎̐͐͊̈̀̂̌̈̉̽͊̅̓̐̈́̽́̆͘̚̚͝ ̶̨̢̧̢̛̪̰̜̠̺̘̖̟̗̫̗̥̺̜̻͔͎̲̯̞̤̮͉͚̭̈̋̓̿̐͗͆͗͐̆͐̋͐̈́̿̓̾̽̐͌̓́͌̆͘̚͝į̴̣̭̭͙̺̫̘̪̟̯̟̖͙̯̦̤̪͖͚̳̳̔̓̍ş̴̧̖̰̬̘̝̣̯͍̙̟̺͕̘͔͍̯̳̼̆̏̍̉̉͆̂͋̀̈́̎̓͗͒̈́̋̄̃́͌͌̀͋̓͑̃͘̕̚͜͠͝͝ ̴̢̧̛̛͕̙̟̯̖̟͍̙͎͈̼̬͎͙̹̖̱̗̝̖̪̽̈̔͆̒̎͗͛̓̔̐̈́̎͂͒̂̑͆͒́̉̚̕͝͝w̸̛̮͇̜̼̫̫̥̤̼͚̖͒͂̓́͗͆̀͐͂̓̉͂̇̂̂̔̈́̂̐̚͠h̸̢̧̛̛̛͖̜͙̫̖̺̱͈̬͚͚͙̮̝̥͚̹͈̜̤̭̮̠͈̤̔͂̿͌̾̓͐̎͆̑̒͒̔̇̍͒̈́͛̋̔̓̕̕̚͘̚͠͝͝͝ͅa̷̡̧̢̢̧͕̞̟̥̣̯̻͓̹̼̣̹̮̳̹̤͍͚̼͎̺̳̮̞̜̞̝̐̾͆̋̚͠ͅţ̸̨̨̺̗͍̝̠̖̟̪̦͐̔͆̍͒͋͆͌̀̃͗̈́͑̍̔͑͐̚͘͜͜͝ ̸̧̧̖͍̭̩̫̯͕͙̺͍̮̖̱̱͔̀̒͂͑B̶̢̡̡̛̭͕̜̱͂̅̐͛̐̈́̀̿̏̔̉̔̅̽͋̔̓̈́̍̄̃̅͒͘̕͝͠͝͝͝i̴̢̧̭̟̗̰͈̱̬͔̘̯̖̼͉̠̙͇̼͈͖͚̫̣̮̖̩̩̼̫̽͌̂͋̅͒͜͜͠ǧ̴̢̺̖̯͖̖̟̳̯͖̗̹̲͕̔͋T̵̡̡̨̧̢̨͕͔̼͎̳̫̻̜̳̺̟͖͕̘̰̻̣͎̝̬̻̘͔̗̹̬̠̪͙̽͑̉̒̐̄̾̑̌͑̚͜͝͝ͅ ̸̨̡̡̢̨̨̺̪̩̼̗̫̪̠̼͖̬̫̜͔͕̘̟̤̖̑͋̉̒̓̓͒͑̈̄̊̄́̕͘̕͜͠͝ͅͅͅw̵̭̖͙͔̋̐̂̒̕͘ą̴̞͖͉́͌́͒̕ş̶̝̲̫͉̩̺̬̻̼̥̼̥̣̫̿̔̅̃̏͗͋͠͝ͅ ̷̡̝͇̩̗̪̰̤͙͖͍͍̹̰͎͉͓̤̩̹͓͍̆̇̊͗̔̓̕̕͝ͅŗ̸̡͙͓̣̱̺̱̣̪̝͈͔͎̘̪̜̫͎͚̤̝̹̯͓͔͎̱̰̀̌͜ͅͅe̸̛͙̭͍̟̣̭̺͕͙͉̯̤̿̿̀͐͛͐͒̃́͘̕f̴̧̢̫͖͇͔̩̹̣̟̲̪̱̮͓̼̄̀̏͊̌͂̀̄̐̓̃̅͌͒͜͝ͅͅȩ̸͎̖̯̖̻͉̜̩͚̳̪͕͎̗̼̍̀̃͗̎́̉̓͌͂͊̓̈̔͐̓̇̎͐̌̕͝͝r̸̨̫̤̱͙̳͉̜͔̪̻̝̙̯̖̬̪̫̲͔̩͍̳̎͗̐͘ŗ̸̢̡̨̪̜͖̗͔͇͉̱̜͈͖͇̘̥̘̝̝̯̱͖͍͚̼̞̩̪͖͕̠̻̆̑́̌͗͑͆̈́̅̌̉̈̊̚͝͝ͅḭ̶̧̢̨̛̺̥̮̫̞̳̫̄͂̎͌̂̅́̎̀̈́̿͐͊̽̾͒͑̈̽́͆͐̀̑͑́͐͆̇͘̕͘͘͜͜ņ̸̛̗̱̫̥͉̞̗͖̠̗̲̲̖̖̫͇̞̩͍͖̔̍̋́̌̏̿̅͌͆̄̓̓͊̅̽̀̄̎̾͆͛̋̏͝g̸̨̨̢̧̛̛͕̮̖̹̥̞̻̼̭͙̰̺̤̗̙̤̱̯͓̰̫̳̰̔́̂̉̾̈́̅̈́̋̅̈́̊̾͌̌͆͒̌̊̉̒͐́̕̕͘͠͝͠͝ ̴̢̧̨̨̮͎̦͇̤͚̼̹̲̟̝͇́̂̄̋͛̅̓͌̂͝t̵̡̡̨̜͙̥̥͖̖̳̮̮̜͎̜͎͑ơ̴̡̛͙͔̻͓̯̱͎͎͙̊̓̒͌́̔̀̆̆̏̐̇̈́̒̀̎̅̎̄̒̃̑̈́̑̑̑͆͊̈́̕̕͘̚͝

Hmm, looks like it’s at least limited to the <div> of the individual post, instead of leaking out. That seems reasonable.

Sure, but I consider that valid Unicode for H. P. Lovecraft fans.