Donald O'Connor dead at 78

This has not been a good week for the famous and elderly…

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1402&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20030927%2F190061167.htm&sc=1402

Oh no…another star lights in heaven tonight.

“I’m siiiingin’ in the rain…just siiiingin’ in the rain…what a glorious feeling…I’m happy again…”

RIP, Mr. O’Connell. You will be missed.

:frowning:

Aw, what a shame. Never cared much for him as an actor, myself, but he was a superb dancer.

And of course, the above name should read O’ConnOR

And of course, the above name should read O’ConnOR

The “In Memorium” thing at next year’s Oscars is going to take forever.

This really is one that breaks my heart. He truly was a great dancer. His dance with Gene Kelly in Singin’ in the Rain to Moses Supposes always makes me laugh, but admire the skill of both dancers at the same time.

Susan

From Here

I remember seeing him in those old Francis the Talking Mule movies. Our whole family gathered around the television. I’ll miss him.

And of course I loved him in Singin’ in the Rain.

Make 'em laugh, make 'em laugh, make 'em laugh, right to the end. Good on him.

RIP, and thanks for the laughs.

Now Donald and Francis the Talking Mule are reunited.

Another part of movie history gone. We all must pass on, but it is no less sadder. Farewell, Mr. O’Connor. :frowning:

“I want a Viking funeral.”

Damn. I liked him.

These celebrities are dropping like flies.

Damn.

Anyone who can play sidekick to a jackass (Francis included) with such aplomb and good nature for all those years deserves all praise. He was easily the equal in talent to the other hoofers of his time, but that Irish face wasn’t leading-man material. He had the wisdom to know it and the lack of ego to capitalize on it. I remember watching in awe–yes, awe–the dance number in “Singing…”.

I always wanted to name a son " Cosmo" after him from Singing in the Rain.

Thanks, Donald.

RIP

His last great moment on screen was as the “eccentric” millionaire on FRASIER. Frasier diagnoses him as sane enough to conduct business affairs and, of course, hilarity ensues.

I also enjoyed him in his very small role in RAGTIME.

Moses supposes his toeses are roses… shalom.

Let us hope it is in a Platonic sort of way.

At least the NYTimes had the good grace not to mention Bring Back Birdie* in the obit.

*The Broadway musical that had O’Connor sitting on a toilet bowl at the end of Act One while a huge latex tongue, protruding from a cube, bobbed up and down lasciviously in rhythm to a horrible song by a punk band called FILTH.
Requiescat in pacem.

My daughter is four years old, and Singin’ In The Rain is one of her favorite movies. She adores Cosmo Brown. The running-up-the-wall backflip drops her jaw every time.

All I can say is that the performance stage in heaven is getting awfully crowded these days.