Donald Trump winks and nods to the Second Amendment people

This is officially the moment at which the Republican party stopped being a party, and became the American fascist movement.

Of all the completely beyond the pale things that Donald Trump has said, this is the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen in national politics. And I will be watching Republicans and those who identify as libertarians and conservative-leaning independents to see their reaction. Are they part of the American fascist movement, or are they good, upstanding American citizens.

The Republican party needs to be completely and utterly dissolved. It has ceased the right to exist and it represents nothing but the worst of what was once a party of limited government.

Seriously, this guy is unhinged. Absolutely unhinged. I have stopped being shocked by the shit he says. Now I’m shocked by the people who still support him.

Trump just can’t use his brain before his vocal cords. Now, expect 2 days of “what he really meant” from Pence, his interpreter.

They’re already spinning it, saying that he meant “in a unifying way.” No, he was inciting these people to violence. By making his statement deliberately vague, he was appealing to the complete fucking whackos out there who need little encouragement to take a head shot. This fucking guy needs the secret service to crawl up his ass; and not in a nice way.

The saddest and scariest part is that a guy like Trump who openly praises Vladimir Putin, who has called on our political enemies to commit crimes against the US to help Trump’s political agenda (hacking Hillary’s emails), who says we should be able to suppress the media, and who now is calling for the assassination of his political opponents will win at minimum 50 million votes in the general election.

It is fucking amazing. Call for extra-judicial assassinations of your political enemies and still win 50 million votes.

The fact that Trump will lose doesn’t change the fact that huge swaths of the US electorate are happy to have a protofascist like Trump in charge. I’m not going to be celebrating when Trump loses, I’m going to be disappointed that 50 million people still feel comfortable having someone like him in charge. The fact that 65 million or so may vote for Hillary doesn’t change that fact.

Has he no sense [del]of decency[/del], at long last?

Jason Miller is already lying in his spin on this, saying:

“It’s called the power of unification – 2nd Amendment people have amazing spirit and are tremendously unified, which gives them great political power. And this year, they will be voting in record numbers, and it won’t be for Hillary Clinton, it will be for Donald Trump.”

Problem with this statement is Miller is referring to the election, and Trump was referring to actions to take place after Hillary was elected.

You must remember that half the people in the US have a below average IQ.

I wish your post would be the topic of discussion on every political/talk show, tonight.

Depressing as this all is, it may be that it was always true that some huge fraction of Americans would be pleased to support a fascist (or protofascist). Or maybe it’s true that this could be said of most nations. There will always be a substantial portion of any human group that’s in love with murderous authoritarians. Daddy will keep us safe!

(If that is the case, it’s no comfort, of course.)

It is impossible to argue that by the highlighted part he had in mind peacefully uniting in a block to vote for him.

At this point, I just want Trump to keep talking.

Do you know about right wing authoritarianism (RWA)? It is a personality type that is prone to fascism.

Trumps supporters are high on RWA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_authoritarianism

Roughly 15-25% of adults score high on RWA. Those people would have no problem with a proto-fascist in charge just so long as the proto-fascist was hostile to outsiders, minorities and threats.

The problem is the other 20-30% of voters who are not RWAs, who will end up voting for Trump. Hillary haters, libertarians, small government conservatives, etc.

A coalition of RWAs and their enablers is going to give a protofascist like Trump 50 million votes.

Yes, but we really were hoping that the GOP would nominate someone from the top half of the class… :frowning:

If his next fiasco involves him pulling out his penis and waggling it around, I’ll feel sorry for him and support institutionalization.

But nothing short of that would be a shock at this point.

Even Jeff Sessions is backing away from this one.

I saw a Twitter that really made me think. Trump is now protected by the Secret Service. What must they be thinking, the person they are protecting just put their coworkers guarding Hillary at risk. I doubt Trump even has a clue that those charged with keeping him safe would not think highly of this. :wink:

Just spitballing here, but the libertarians could try voting for, umm, the Libertarians. :smack:*

*Not at you, at any libertarians for Trump.

“Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the bitch that bore him is in heat again.” Bertolt Brecht

Any bets that the national news doesn’t even mention this tonight?

Super pedantic nitpickery, but half the people have a below-median IQ. There are ways for a large majority – or tiny minority – to have a below- or above-average numerical quality such as IQ, height, weight, etc.

(“I’m outraged that fully half the people in this country have a below-median income!”)

Sorry. The masked statistician strikes again!