Done your taxes yet?

I’ve done them, but haven’t turned them in yet. I am waiting on something from one of my financial institutions.

It’s the money from my mother’s IRA. It came out in pre-tax deductions so the money was never taxed, thus unlike life insurance or other inheritances it’s taxable regardless of the estate size. Basically it’s the same as if you liquidated your own IRA.

I filed sometime last week and am getting over a thousand back. Not sure how that happened but I am pleased.

Did the taxes, got the refund, and spent it already.

Despite Mrs Geek’s efforts to the contrary, I am now completely out of debt except for my home mortgage.

Ours were done the first of February.

Our taxes are due two weeks after yours (end of April) so we are supposed to be getting busy about the same time you guys are panicking. Anyway, I did my taxes some time ago because it was looking like there was going to be an election this spring (there still might be) and I didn’t want to get caught having to do my taxes in the middle of a campaign.

Did them in February using TaxACT. Thanks to one of my mutual funds having a hell of a year, I owe big time, so the returns are sitting on my desk waiting for me to write a pair of checks. I’ll send them in before the 17th, but not much before.

I got time.

It’s not always that easy to just mark a higher number on your W-4/I-9 and have it all “even out.” Isn’t that part of the reason we have to do our taxes? because we all have special circumstances that aren’t listed on a W-4/I-9 (I forget which one does what.) For the first time, I had to use education credits to get some money back, AFAIK, there’s not place to fill in that information when I fill out all those damn forms when I have a new job. Or if you buy a house/have a kid/do whatever that increases or lowers your exemption status that year and forgot to change your info on your W-4/I-9.

I guess if you have one or two years where nothing changes in your financial situation that requires you to change your tax status, then yes, it makes sense to change your exemption and take that money and get some interest on it, but it’s not always that easy for everyone.

I did both my Federal and State today. Sent them about $600 combined. Yeah I know I get a little bit of interest from that money but it sure doesn’t feel like it.

Done 'em, got $7000+ back, spent it. Any more questions? :smiley: [sub]Ok, we paid off the evil cards with it.[/sub]

Filed Fed taxes (online) in March. I owe for state taxes so I’m waiting (I’m pretty sure you can file early and set the payment for later, but I’m going to wait till the 12th or so)

Brian

Got the forms all filled out, just waiting for my wife to look them over before transmittal. We’re getting a pretty sizable refund, so I want this over as soon as possible. Between her travel and work schedule, though, it’s tough to find the time.

I’m the “retired” engineer, she’s the one with the Masters degree in taxation. So who does our taxes? Me, of course. Go figure.

We filed ours and got the refund in February. My wife, the American, who came with prior knowledge of the American tax system, does our returns without software.

Has anyone here ever got a check back for overpayment? We got one a few years back, for one dollar. I didn’t frame it or anything, but I still have it. It cost them more than that to print it and mail it!

It can be difficult to accurately predict in some instances, but you know when you buy a house/have a kid/go to school. You CAN plan for it as far as income taxes are concerned. You can choose how ever many exemptions you want to account for things like credits. My only point was that if you’re worried about giving away interest, do it before the tax year starts, not after it has ended. I speak from experience. I once had a $15,000 refund because I didn’t change my exemptions after: 1) got married; 2) bought a house; 3) put my wife through school. I am just sharing some hard earned knowledge. I am not trying to thumb my nose. If you’re getting a $1,000 refund, you’re not missing out on much interest.

Filed electronically. Got State/Federal refunds deposited at the end of January.

Still broke.

Our accountant is currently figuring it out. We have farm expenses and amortization and deductions and business things that decrease in value over time, and it’s so worth the $150 to have him figure it all out.

This year, we sold more than 50 acres of land, and so we will be paying the government quite a bit. We don’t have the exact number yet, but I’m planning to sit down when he calls. I do have what I hope is enough money and then some in the bank, so it’s not like we’ll have to take out a second mortgage, but still. It’s not going to be fun to write that check. Bleah.

And we will be waiting until we have to to mail the check. It’s going to be tens of thousands of dollars, so it will earn enough interest in the meantime to be worth it to wait. That puppy will be postmarked the 14th of April, probably.

I haven’t done mine. This is probably the only year I haven’t rushed to do them because I actually had some money saved up and didn’t need the extra right away. Usually I get them done in January. I’ve got a refund of over $1000 coming, I’ll probably do it this weekend.

Just sent ours off a couple of hours ago. I had basically done them in early February using TurboTax but we had to wait until we got some paperwork from an estate. Which didn’t wind up changing things any, but we didn’t know that.

It wound up helping, because I recently found out we could deduct mileage for all the Scout trips we drove kids on last year. Since we drove a lot (well over a thousand miles, all told), it saved us a little.

Looking forward to having our refunds soon.

Done last weekend. It took a bit longer because we donated our horse to charity, and we needed to get all some info that wasn’t on the donation form and the appraisal form. We’re getting a ton back thanks to that.

The best thing about donating our horse was that we didn’t need to feed him anymore. :slight_smile: