Don't clip your fucking fingernails in the middle of the supermarket, you pig!

I don’t get it. It’s not like fingernails are the grossest thing in the supermarket. Is the difference that you can see the fingernails, and see him doing it?

I don’t really care. Nail clippings are dry and solid and easily avoided. What creeps me out is snotty nosed (and thus snotty handed) kids, running wild in produce stores.

Two favourite recent sightings:

a child about 7 or 8 tasting nuts and fruit at the supermarket while mum rolls on oblivious - if he liked it he ate it, if not just spit it back in the nut bin

a child a little younger walking along the edge of bottom shelf of the refrigerator cabinet display. No parent in sight so I asked him to restrict his walking to the floor because the display cabinet was full of FOOD THAT PEOPLE EAT!!!

Oh I forgot the mother and daughter opening packaged cheese to see if they liked the smell of it and then returning it to the cooler.

Having observed the same myself, this is exactly why for any given bin/shelf/freezer/whatever, I’ll always reach for items at the back, up high, least likely to have been been groped or mistaken for a Kleenex.

East Asian much more so than South Asian - my Asian friends tell me their Chinese, but that may just be their own regional bias, as they’ve been known to frequently guess other Asian nationalities wrong. Not exclusive to Asians though - they may be the plurality, but cluelessness knows no gender or racial boundaries.

Oh my God. Please tell me this is either A. Not True or B. True, and then you beat them both soundly with a broom handle.

Uhh…clipping your nails at work is one thing (still would never do it except cutting one that broke so I don’t accidentally stab anyone) but who the fuck does it at the grocery store??? It’s one of the weirdest things I’ve ever heard. Like whose train of thought is “I need to go to the grocery store. Let me grab my nail clippers so I can cut my nails there.” Wtf seriously.

:smiley: It could also be a Wal-Mart, but then you would be seeing soiled diapers in the carts rather than under cars in the parking lot.

I once saw a lady trimming her nails during the intermission of Riverdance at the Progress Energy Center for the Performing Arts in Raleigh. Everyone was glaring at her.

Life is dirty; filthy, even. I say embrace the filth–your immune system will thank you for it.

You wouldn’t feel that way if you saw the guy eating cherries out of the bin and spitting the pits back into the cherries. I’m far from a germophobe, but that skeeved me out.

[George Carlin]Let me tell you a true story about immunization. When I was a little boy in New York City in the '40’s, we swam in the Hudson River. And it was filled with raw sewage! OK? We swam in raw sewage! You know, to cool off.

At that time, the big fear was polio; thousands of kids died from polio every year. But you know something? In my neighborhood no one ever got polio. No one. Ever! You know why? Because we swam in RAW SEWAGE! It strengthened our immune systems. The polio never had a prayer; we were tempered in raw shit.[GC]

My favorite “saw it in public” story took place in O’Hare Airport, in Chicago.

I was waiting to meet somebody between planes. An older couple,who looked perfectly ordinary, were also in the waiting area. So she gets up, pulls a pair of cuticle scissors out of her purse, and starts clipping his ear hairs!!!

But wait, there’s more!!!

As soon as she was done with his ears, he tilted his head back and she went for the nose hairs. Right there in public. Ewwwwwwwwwww.

…or squeezing his zits in the mirror that’s for trying out how you look in those new specs

nyctea scandiaca, please tell me it wasn’t at the Shoppers in Potomac Yard because I shop there sometimes on my way home from work.

I can’t imagine that it would be convenient. I like to cut my nails while sitting. I have done it in the office but I had the decency to close the door to my office while I did it.

Exaggeration aside, there may be something to this claim. Improvements in public sanitation (including better processing of sewage) likely led to a drop in exposure to polio among very young children beginning in the 20th century (it used to be a relatively common, usually mild infection, transmitted through the, um, fecal-oral route), so many older kids didn’t develop immunity and some later suffered severe cases of paralytic polio before the the polio vaccine was introduced.

On the other hand, swimming “in raw sewage” could have led to fatal typhoid or other nasties.

There’s still plenty of dirt and infectious organisms around to stimulate our immune systems (living in close quarters with dogs provides a good-sized dose of both). We don’t need to wade in raw sewage or nail clippings, or have clueless mommies changing their infants’ diapers on the restaurant table in order to have a properly stimulated immune system.

The worst thing I have ever seen was an old couple, easily in their 60’s or 70’s, sitting on the subway. The man had a huge open wound on his leg. It wasn’t bleeding or anything, obviously it wasn’t a new injury but it was an open wound none the less and they were using their metrocard to dig out decaying flesh from the wound! How is this like the kid in the store, you ask? That metrocard must be swiped every time they want to enter the subway, spreading that bacteria from his disgusting injury all over the card swiping machines and anything else that touches that metro card, not to mention all the dead and decaying stuff they were spewing around the subway car. It makes me hurk a little bit just thinking about it.

Yech… think of that the next time you run your own card through the gate. :eek:

I know, I could hardly believe my eyes. It gave me chills.

To people saying they don’t see a problem… it’s personal grooming and generally should not be done in public, especially if there is going to be bodily waste left behind (such as nail clippings). What if someone wiped or flicked their boogers everywhere? What if someone cleaned their ears with Q-tips and just discarded them? What if someone left a dirty tampon? What if someone took a shit and left the toilet paper? What if someone picked their scabs and left them everywhere? What if someone squeezed their zits onto the public restroom mirror? What if someone were shaving and left the hair clippings everywhere? These are all things that should be done in the privacy of your own home, out of respect to others, and basic cleanliness and hygiene.

FF (Former Friend): (Comes in, sits on my couch and starts clipping his fingernails, letting the clippings fall on my carpet.)
Me: What the hell are you doing?
FF: What? You vacuum, don’t you?
Me: Yes, but I don’t want to have to vacuum NOW, just because you’re lazy and rude!
FF: What? I’m not doing anything wrong!
Me: Pick that shit up and throw it in the plant.
FF: Grumble grumble grumble
Me: Don’t do that shit in my house anymore or you’re no longer invited.

You’d have thought I prohibited him from breathing my air. :rolleyes:

Nope, it was the Safeway at King Street and Quaker Lane, just off 395. You can rest easy!