Don't clip your fucking fingernails in the middle of the supermarket, you pig!

I was at the grocery store shopping when I heard the “click click” sound of nail clippers. I look around and see a man (a customer, not an employee) casually standing at the end of an aisle meticulously clipping his fingernails! That’s right - there were little fingernail shards flying all over the place as he kept snipping (as in, there was no effort to collect the clippings). I started right at him with a look of disgust, hoping he would see and realize what a disgusting pig he was being, but he just continued on clipping, unaware of anyone around him.

What kind of nasty freak clips their fucking fingernails in the middle of the grocery store? I would have liked to say something to him, but it was just so bizarre that I was utterly dumbfounded.

GROSS!

You should have wiped a booger on him.

You always think of the best response after it’s too late!!

Maybe I’m anal, but I reserve a special ‘die you foul thing, just die’ look for people who don’t wear shoes in the supermarket. Ew. No shoes on them or usually their kids, but have a trolly full of beer, as they grab a carton of ciggies. I also hate it when people change their baby’s nappy and leave it under the car in the carpark and then drive off. They probably didn’t have any shoes on. Ferals.

I used to be guilty of this. Sort of. I actually had to start a thread here to ask you all what the beig deal was. On a warm summer day in flip-flops I was clipping my fingernails while walking down the street. My girlfriend said that was weird/gross and I couldn’t think of it as anything but normal.

I have since ended this habit (ignorance fought :confused: ?). Although I have a coworker who does her nails in the lab, cuticle cleaning and everything. I’m not so much as disgusted as I am annoyed because she zones out of the *actual * work that she couldn be doing.

I used to share an office with a man who clipped his nails at work. It I found it quite odd.

bbs2k, were you by any chance raised by wolves? Do you also pick your teeth at the table and clean your ears with your car keys? Did it occur to you that if it was normal, you’d see lots of *other * people doing it? :dubious:

As for your coworker, smack her.

I will never, ever understand why people can’t just do this shit at home.

I’ve done it “in public”, but only in a bathroom stall, and usually only when one of my nails breaks really bad. Is that okay?
Oh, and I don’t let the shards fall everywhere-in the toilet bowl.

It could have been worse. He could have put the clippers back in the little cup on the shelf for someone else to buy.

Robin

You should have collected the clippings and taken them home and incorporated them into a voodoo doll of the guy.

Then you could stab it with pins at your discretion, and no one would be the wiser.

Sympathetic magic, and all that, you know.

During my summer gig as a standardized test scorer, a job that placed about 50 people in one big room together, there was an old guy who would do this.

By old, I mean old enough to be my great-grand father and by doing this, I mean clip his fingernails -all of them- on a regular basis which seemed about every other day.

I didn’t feel it was my place to say anything and realized that most everyone else justified their non-responsiveness for one other good reason or another -the guy’s too old and really a very nice gentleman, I’m not a supervisor, it doesn’t really grate on my very last freaking nerve so I’ll let it go, he must be almost finished, etc.

Now, much older, wiser and seemingly more cantankerous, I would say to him: “You need to do that somewhere else,” or maybe more politely, “Could you please do that somewhere else.” In my revisionist way of looking back on things, I think this may have done the trick.

Y’all have Food Lion stores in Australia?

Wow. Just Wow. This is the sort of thing that is going to send me raving into the wilderness, in search of that mysterious concept of civilization I’ve often heard of but never actually encountered.

The sound of nail clippers is all too common on NYC subways. That said, I don’t glare and hope that clueless notices - they never do. I say aloud what you were thinking, and then all the starers and glarers chime in with “I know”, “Disgusting”, or other words of agreement. Rarely helps, as clueless obviously didn’t care beforehand, but it makes me feel better.

Same here. Of course, the guy doing it (right in his office) was a managing partner of the law firm, made hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, and was big rain-maker for the firm so it was overlooked.

Looking on the bright side, the guy in the supermarket could have been clipping his toenails. Or having a blacksmith shoe his horse over in Produce.

Sorry, clipping nails has no effect on me at all. I don’t do it in public because I was told it was wrong, but I don’t know why. Its just nails, he’s not wipping boogers on stuff. They sweep up.

I’m pretty sure fingernails are, by nature, very dirty. I can’t stand having long fingernails because they collect all sorts of grime and crap that’s not easily removed through regular (or even diligent) hand-scrubbing. The general population is probably less-than-stellar in their hand-washing skills, and then they fling their projectile shards of grossness covered in whatever they’ve last scraped out of their nose/picked from their ass/plucked from their neighbors dog where food is sold and consumed!? GAG!

There is a guy here at work who clips all his fingernails weekly. Oddly, it’s not the grossness that bothers me but rather, the noise. That clip clip clip is enough to send me over the edge.

I may be full of shite here - if so, tell me - but it seems to be associated with people of East Asian or South Asian origin. Might it just be a taboo we have here that they don’t? (Not to excuse it - we wouldn’t be so blase’ about them putting their own shite on the garden.)