Don't worry about the planet, God is going to wreck this shit anyway

Why?

It’s 7:30PM CST on December 21, 2012. Just a few hours ago the Sun was shining bright, but now? Bupkis. I haven’t checked if the stars are falling yet because it’s kinda chilly out, but I don’t think we’re out of the woods.

I don’t consider them credible sources.

Because it challenges your fundamental view of how the world works. In many ways such a viewpoint is no different from what one may call a fundamentalist, though usually associated with some strict interpretation of the bible, it goes to the mindset that all others are wrong.

See above, you are no different champ.

You want to see a crazy minority, criticize your views before you criticize others.

HaHaHa

I am all for the female orgasm if you are against that you must be worshiping Satan.

Peace

Yeah, the thought had crossed my mind…

That too is a fable.

If they made the comparison to the world’s end,as Jesus was said it would end ,they would note that Revelations could not be true. Jesus said it would happen in that generation, and the stars would fall, the moon turn to blood and the sun not give it’s light. A far cry from 4 horsemen, big battle ,people being picked up in the air etc. It is a matter of belief.

Why not?

Well, even though I have been guilty of it myself, I think the OP ought to quit referring to people as retards. It may be pedantic to point out but I’d wager that if you polled only people who are literally retarded, plenty of them would report that they believe AGW is the case rather than the Biblical end times. Have some compassion.

Otherwise, yeah, I don’t know how to get through to the evangelical/fundie crowd, but I think we oughta back away from the notion of killing them off. Seems un-American to say the least- just my 2 cents.

Should I call them morons, which is also something that started as a medical term to classify people but eventually became acceptable in a casual common use to describe people who have dumb ideas or do dumb things?

I think that’s better. ‘Retarded’ retains its formal meaning, while ‘moron’ does not. If that’s an ignorant view, well I do come here to be corrected.

I don’t think they are Morans, they just let someone else do their thinking. We have a funamental friend who only knows the parts of the Bible they were taught. I heard once on TV that Atheists know the Bible more than many Christians. I wonder if it is because each sect just teaches what they agree with. And some people need to believe as they do. Perhaps it is better for them. If it makes them a better person it is good. Belief is not fact and they do have the right to their beliefs as long as they don’t translate them to harm others, or try to push their beliefs into the government.

Assumed bias. Which is assumed bias on my part, but I realize that.

Those who prophesize an end to the world are absolutely correct. They just keep getting the date wrong.

And the cause, and the process, and the significance, and their own ability to survive it…

I have to wonder how many of these people actually order their daily affairs with a belief the end of the world is imminent? From the article:

I heard this leveled against Reagan administration officials in the early '80s, notably Secretary of Interior Jim Watt. The presence of Christian millennialists in government supposedly helped create an atmosphere where protecting the environment and natural resources was of lower priority because God was going to foreclose on the planet one day soon regardless. But I figured Republican pro-business policies could have the same, or an even bigger, effect on our stewardship of Earth. I think time proved me right.

The smart money’s moving from cars and real estate, to boats and sunscreen.

Actually, I think the majority would not even understand either concept, nor the question.

Depends on the person. Not all retarded people are mindless zombies- their thought processes are literally retarded (slowed down). Given enough time to consider it they can put 2 and 2 together.

Maybe it is an unfortunate direction to pull the thread since overall I agree with the OP. Anyway, I have realized since that post that being a true-blue fundamentalist is actually worse than being retarded. A retarded person simply thinks more slowly, while a fundamentalist cannot think at all, at least not about these kinds of questions.

Edit: Almost forgot, Merry Christmas!