Dooming babies?

I have recently re-located. My children are now in the local public school system. Here, my child goes to 1/2 day kindergarten. Because of our street location, she attends the afternoon session. Many studies have shown that children learn best in the morning, hence why reading and math are usually taught then and other subjects are in the afternoon. There is no “switch up” half way through the year. My child, who has been in a full day school program since she was three will be condemned to an entire year of being taught when she is “less likely to learn.” Is she destined to be further ( or is it farther ) behind than the children who attend the a.m. sessions? Teachers and parents please let me know your opinions. :slight_smile:

I doubt the difference is enough to be measurable. Don’t worry.

The world can always use ditch diggers.

I was a p.m. kindergarten kid and I turned out OK.

If this is your biggest concern with public schools, you’re in for quite a few shocks in the coming years.

The phrase you are grasping for is “Is she destined to academically remain behind her a.m. counterparts?”

Oh, and by the way, don’t let your child hear that s/he is already “disadvantaged.” 'Twill only cause problems.

Thank you ChiefScott. However, I mentioned that I had only recently re-located and this is my first encounter with the “public school system.” My children had been previously enrolled in private/parochial schools. As stated, my almost 5 year old has been in full day school since she was 3 and had actually been starting to read then. I am more concerned that she will begin to regress with only half day school ( and in the p.m. session at that.) No, I do not opt to put my kids back in private school. That was the reason for our re-locating to an area with top rated public schools!

P.S. In reference to your comment if that was my only concern with the public school system. . . give me time-- it’s only been a few days.

Just look around, you’ll find plenty of studies that show children learn better in the PM.

IIRC, my kindergarten switched at the halfway point, but they may have just changed the geography too. I was only 5-6 so I’m not sure.

I would be concerned with the fact your child is going to be far ahead of most of the kids. Most (if the area is affluent this may not be true) kids don’t go to too much preschool, commonly one year not 3. Chances are the child won’t get much attention if he/she can already read. Thats about all they do since they got rid of the pledge of alligence.

If your really concerned with the child missing out on his optimum learning time, then do what too many parents have forgotten how to do and spend some time teaching him youself. Its not like the child is forced into hours and hours of WWF during those precious morning hours. And if there is no time because of work (the typical reason parents want there kids to “learn” at 3 years old) its time to reasess the priorities.

I’m done preaching.

Hey, Omniscient, how much time did you spend on learning the pledge of alley gents? :wink:

Ray

Gotta start proof reading, the day they put a spell check in the ACSII input windows I’ll be happy.

Thank you for you reply Omniscinent. I am a teacher myself. I am currently looking to re-locate into my current county’s school system. To answer to your “non” question however, I do work with her in the morning. After I drop my 2nd and 1st grader at the “oh so convenient” bus-stop and awating for it to show, I have about enough time to clean up breakfast dishes, get my baby fed, bathed and dressed. Read and play with them and it’s lunch time before I walk with them to the bus for afternoon Kindergarten for my 5 year old. TV is only for the weak ( actually week) end. I am not trying to be cynical, however, I see a lot of academic potential in my 5 year old ( that was not evident in my older children ) and I would hate to see that diminish.

P.S. My children did not enter school early due to any self-serving purposes. I was in a position that I had to work to have health insurance for them so opted to have them enrolled at the place of my employment in order to be close to them during my work day. ( Maybe it was self-serving, it alleviated a lot of my guilt about not being able to stay home with my babies.)

Yes, madam, it’s true - your child is doomed to a life of obloquy and shame as an afternoon kindergartner. I know, I ::sob:: am one.

Of course, it’s possible that children don’t learn at their peak directly after lunch because they’re logy from the meal. My advice to keep your daughter really on her toes - don’t feed her.

Personally, I’ve always been a night person. I doubt that I would have learned better in the am, even at 5 years old. People are different.

That non-sequitur out of the way, let me suggest, as the parent of two elementary schoolers, and a member of my elementary school’s board, that the best way to insure your child receives the most from his school experience is for you to be as involved in her education as you can. That means talking about school, doing homework together, reading aloud, and doing other educational type stuff. It also means volunteering at the school and being involved with the teachers and administrators. With the occasional exception, schools are thrilled to have you participate in your kid’s education. This can only help your child (and his classmates) receive the most her school has to offer.

God, I sound like a flack for the PTA! But it’s true. I’ve found my work with my kids’ school rewarding for both me and them, and I would encourage you to get involved as much as you can.

In reply to Frank6:

Thank you for the excellent reminder. Sometimes it is easy to forget what one learns when the emotional bond of motherhood gets involved. Now I kind of feel like an idiot letting this one minute issue in the grand scheme of child raising get under my skin. Thanks for the reality check :slight_smile:

Another detriment to being a p.m. kindergartener is that the a.m. kids pick all the Oreos and Chips Ahoys out of the cookie snack bowl, leaving the p.m. kids vanilla wafers and animal crackers.

Oh Geez! Chiefscott! I had enough to worry about and now you bring up the cookie thing. Maybe I should bring up Brown V. the Board of Ed. Separate is NOT EQAUL!

The lack of schooling was bad, but the lack of cookies is even worse! :wink:

I’m more interested in why you opted to move from private to public school, since you seemed to have more control before…but that could be another thread!

Since you are so interested, Danny, I will respond. We have recently re-located (see original message.) Our prior residence did not have a public school system up to national standards, in fact was the worst in the state. Hence, I paid $6,000 a year to obtain a suitable education for my children. When we had the option of moving, we chose to purchase our new home in a county which was statistically top rated so that we would be able to take advantage of our tax dollars.

Got it?

I knew this should be a different thread!:slight_smile:

I am really happy for you that you have found a good public school.

I was interested because I had a similar situation. We moved to what is “statistically” the best school district hoping that public school is an option should we need it. But it took a while to find out that the “statistics” is biased by the top 10% of the students. These top students have a lot of specialized programs piled on them to help them succeed.

The bottom 10% also have a lot of specialized programs, funded at many levels. The rest of the students? Well, they are the masses, the average. So if my kids happen to be at the fringe, great. But otherwise they will be part of the lost group in the middle.

Now, the schools are still very good, don’t get me wrong, but it certainly is not what it seems.

So private school they stayed! Besides, having only 6 to 15 kids in a class seems definitely superior to 20-30!

Ursula- Although I am loving this thread, we are off-topic ( as teachers say…). To answer your initial query? I would say that if your child is given educational stimulii in the morning, equalling the half-day school in the afternoon, then he will start to learn that applying his mind is an all-day affair, not just something between lunch and snack time.
THAT kind of mind-set cannot start early enough, I would say. Just my .0000002 pfennigs…

Typer

I will get back on subject. When my kids are at kindergarten full day, they always have a nap after lunch. I would imagine that if your kids have same before school, things should be fine in the afternoon!

Ursala, I’m curious, about the " oh so convenient" bus stop that you must drive your older child to , thus cutting into your morning time.

How far away is the school? It sounds like it might be quicker and less hassle if drove your child to school yourself.

I know after reading the school bus schedules here in our local paper that there is no way in hell my kid is getting on the bus at 6:15 am and school does not start until 8:10 ( or whatever). I will drive him to and fro from school when the time comes. It is too far for him to walk.

You know, the more I think about this, the more I get riled-up about it!

I think the reason these schools have split sessions is because somewhere along the line, the whole system stop being able a support itself. Perhaps from politicians to administrators to contractors, etc., even tax payers: there are enough blame to go around! They are not paying teachers enough to get good ones to hire; they are not fixing old buildings, let alone build new ones… I don’t know where all the money goes?

I think afternoon sessions may not necessarily be detrimental to “education” per se, but it certainly can create a different experience. Where there used to be after school activities, these children may not be able to participate with the “morning” kids, etc… Ballet at 8pm to 10pm, perhaps?

Instead of split sessions, summer school terms, etc., tax payers should demand the “SAME” schedule from their schools. For the kind of money we pay, I don’t see why this does not come before many of the pork barrel programs we let the system get into.

OK…chill…