Dope of the Dead

You make your way up the dimly lit stairs. The soft, red emergency light preserves your night vision. You start climbing the stairs. Finally, you reach the top of the staircase. The hallway ahead used to be blocks by a heavy pair of sliding bulletproof glass doors. The doors now sit open and askew. Three soldiers stand at the doorway, looking out into the darkness. Their clothes are bloody and worn, and their assault rifles hang from their shoulders, but they seem fairly calm.

Alvin approaches the men.

“Men, I hope you are all right? Have you been fighting? I’m veteran myself and trust me, I know what it is like. What can you tell me about the current situation here?”

Upon seeing the soldiers, Jordan starts making a mental checklist:

*Let’s see:

Apocalyptic plague…check.
Seemingly abandoned facility…check.
Four prisoners unattended for three days without food or water and one of them became so desperate as to kill herself…check.
Power outage…check.
Nothing but emergency lighting to light the facility…check.

And three presumably well trained soldiers nonchalantly hanging out in a doorway with their rifles in a non-ready position in spite of all that.

Yeah, something’s not quite adding up here.*

Just as she’s about to signal to her compatriots that they should proceed with caution and not approach these guys until we know what’s going on, Alvin strides up to them and starts engaging them in conversation.

Just great! And he’s supposedly the trained military guy! We’re doomed! :smack:

She then says to Wright:

“Shit! Get ready! I’ve got a bad feeling about this!”

And then motions him to close the distance before Alvin gets his fool-ass killed, or worse, infected.

Wright sees Alvin step up to these guys and quickly ducks back into the shadows. Alvin might be right, but Wright will wait a moment to make sure.

Slowly, the three soldiers turn around. You realize that something is wrong when you notice that they’re all heavily wounded. The one on the far left is missing an eye and has severe burns on his face. The middle soldier looks like he had his throat ripped open by a wild animal. The third soldier has a big chunk of his stomach missing and his entrails are hanging out. You notice shrapnel from a grenade sticking in his shredded flesh.

As the three soldiers spot you, they let out a low moan. The one with the torn throat makes a low whistling sound as air escaoes through the gap. Then they start running towards you, stumbling on awkward feet.

((Tell me in general terms what your character will try to do during the combat, and I will roll the dice as needed and tell you what happens))

Wright grabs Alvin by the collar of his shirt and drags him back into the hallway. Wright then blocks the entrance with his body and yells “Get back! Lead them into the lab and jump them there!”

“Wright, you’re right. Back to the lab!”

Jordan races back to the lab with the other two.

"They’re not going to be far behind. At least the lab door can be a choke point. As long as we can limit ourselves to facing only one at a time, we might stand a chance. But I’ve seen what some of these things are capable of, so even then it’s probably not going to be easy.

“Let’s just hope they’re not smart enough to use their guns.”

"This is a two point attack.

1. Kill or knock them out.

2. ASAP, get a weapon from them and give it to me. I can use all weapons very well and should be able to kill these sick bastards easily once we have a real weapon."

Round 1

The three soldiers charge ahead recklessly. The two with intact throats shout something at you. At first you think they’re shouting in a foreign language, but then you realize that their deranged brains can no longer form words. Instead, they spew gibberish as they run ahead. One of them nearly falls flat on his face in his excitement, but he takes a few steps on all fours and keeps running.

The Infected catch up to you just as you reach the stairs. One charges Maxwell, clawing at him with bloody gore-encrusted hands. Maxwell is raked by the man, but human hands aren’t meant for clawing, so he’s only slightly hurt. ((4 damage))

Maxwell swings his pipe at the charging soldier and hits him square on the head, but his pipe glances off of the creature’s head.

The second soldier rushes Jordan. Having seen the soldiers catch up already, she isn’t caught unaware; she flattens herself against the wall, and the soldier goes tumbling down the stairs, snarling and shouting gibberish.

The third soldier, breathing through a hole in his throat, barrels right into Alvin. Alvin is thrown off balance by the heavy fire extinguisher and the two go tumbling down the stairs. The soldier grabs the fire extinguisher and tries to bite at Alvin, but Alvin gives a mighty push and doesn’t let him get near.

Round 2

Maxwell swings his pipe again, hitting his opponent on the neck. It breaks, and the soldier falls to the ground with a final angry cry. Maxwell heads down the stairs to help Alvin.

Alvin grapples with the soldier on top of him, pushing against the fire extinguisher. He hits the soldier in the chin and sends him flying over the railing, falling another floor and landing with a dull thud. Both of its legs are broken, but it wheezes again as it starts dragging itself up the steps.

Jordan rushes down the stairs and stabs the soldier in the chest with her scalpel. The creature shouts in anger, then reaches for her, hands outstretched, thick gooey liquid spurting from the hole in its chest. It grabs her shoulders and snarls; then, suddenly, falls dead.

“Jordan! I need your help sterilizing this cut NOW!”

Alvin smashes downward on the soldier/zombie’s head and if possible, looks for a weapon on “it” to grab. If he finds one, he grabs it and shoots the enemy in the head, then heading back up to help his new allies.

You easily dispatch both infected soldiers, then loot the bodies. They have three M16 rifles, but among them only a single clip.

Alvin loads the clip into one gun(whichever seems best) and leaves the other two behind for the moment. He heads back up to the others and shoots the other zombified soldiers.

Your rifle is a fairly standard issue M16A4. It uses a traditional ironsight, with the addition of a mounted red tinted flashlight. The rifle you choose has one major modification: a M7 bayonet, bloody from use.

After getting his wound treated by Jordan, Wright will grab another M16 and sling it around his shoulder, behind his body if possible to allow him to use his pipe effectively. There’s no ammo, but the gun still has a lot of value.

Yep, so Alvin heads up and kills the remaining zombie-soldiers, using the ammo or the bayonet as he sees fit.

Alright, most of the rounds were spent but from all three soldiers you manage to get one full magazine of 20 rounds.

“Let’s get moving. We’ve made a lot of noise, and we’d be cornered if any more show up.”

Assuming Alvin has killed the rest:

“Yeah, let’s move. You two take the other two guns, which have zero ammo. We may find some ammo for them as we go. Let’s head back the same way we were heading when we first saw these now-dead dudes.”