Dope of the Dead

Something as possibly simple as a Molotov Cocktail or signal flares or whatever. Because right now no matter where we go there are too many infected for us to handle.

Either that, or we need to find a smaller group of infected that we can kill and take weapons from. A group that is isolated enough to not attract attention when we attack.

I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking on twenty infected even if the three of us had guns and plenty of ammo. Jordan, was there anything in the medical room below that we could use to make a simple explosive or fire?

You don’t find anything explosive, but you do find an infected soldier stumbling around away from any others. You dispatch him with a quick bayonet stab, and search his body to find three more M16 clips and a radio, which still has power. It’s a simple model meant for army communication, but it can pick up civilian frequencies too. It still has about 50% battery.

Alvin attempts to tune in any local frequencies.

Predictably, most of the radio stations give nothing but static. Just as you give up hope of finding any broadcasting stations, the song It’s a Long Way to the Top by AC/DC comes on the radio. The volume is fairly low, and you don’t think any Infected have heard you yet. The station which is still broadcasting is one you recognize as a classic rock station that’s been around for years.

“I guess I could throw this radio away from the other gate, hope the infected run after it to check out, and we could all make a break for it. Thoughts?”

"Might work, but if it’s a two-way radio as well, we don’t want to throw away a chance to communicate with others.

“But at least we now have four clips of ammo total between us. We may be able to shoot our way out now.”

“Shooting our way out altogether seems… optimistic. I hunted deer as a kid, but this isn’t quite the same thing. If we could pick them off to thin their numbers without them seeing us, I think we could make it.”

“You might be right, but that involves us actually finding a good vantage point to snipe from and hoping that others don’t fill in the gaps, so to speak, if they notice their compatriots keeling over.”

“I say just shoot these 20 and make a run for it.”

“Well… alright, let’s do it. Let’s make those first couple shots really count.”

Alvin leads the group back to the other gate with the ~20 infected folks. While trying to remain relatively hidden, Alvin begins to plan the order to shoot the infected.

Alvin will carefully target the infected closest to the gate and plans to spray bullets from the middle and move to the edges of the group.

“The rest of you, aim to the edges and move toward the middle. As soon as we have a chance, we’ll run for it.”

If the others looks ready, Alvin starts shooting.

"Uhhh, quick thing. My experience with guns mostly comes down to shooting .22 rifles at targets in summer camp. Now, while I was pretty good with that, I don’t think this is going to be anything like that. So while I know the right end of a gun from the wrong one, and know enough about bracing it correctly, is there anything else I should know about this thing. I assume the kick is going to be much worse, just from the fact it can fire multiple rounds.

I meant to include something for this situation in my previous post.

:Alvin will try to show anyone who needs to know how to load a clip, use the safety, and shoot:

“Let’s do it.”

(Wright has experience deer hunting as a kid, so he feels pretty comfortable with this as long as it’s on semi-automatic.)

(Hey guys, OOC stuff here. I’m sorry this next part is taking so long, but fights like this take about 30-45 minutes to do. Which would be fine and dandy if I wasn’t working so much… I promise to do an update ASAP, but unlike RP or other SDMB posts, I can’t do combat from my phone. Tomorrow night should be it.)

Anything we can do to help?

Surprise Round

Alvin crouches down and raises his assault rifle. He fires a short three-round burst. The closest Infected near the center falls with a line of bullet wounds. Two hit him in the chest and the third went right through his head, taking a chunk of the skull. The bullet passed through and hit a second creature in the head, killing it as well.

Jordan raises her gun and fires, aiming at the Infected on the left side of the gate. She tries to copy Alvin’s three round burst, but none of the rounds connect.

Maxwell raises the gun, takes careful aim, and pulls the trigger. An Infected to the right of the gate falls over, dead.

You have 60 rounds total. Jordan used 3 bullets, Alvin used 3 bullets, and Maxwell used 1. Maxwell and Jordan are not proficient with automatic fire. There are 18 Infected left.

Round One

Before the Infected even realize they are being attacked, Alvin fires another burst. This time he aims at a closely packed group of Infected and manages to hit two, bringing one down.

Maxwell aims and fires again. Unfortunately, it seems his gun was damaged when the soldier it belonged too became Infected, and it jams. Maxwell curses and hits the gun and the bullet fires, flying wide.

In game terms, Maxwell rolled a natural 1, or automatic miss.

Jordan fires again, just a single shot this time. The round flies right by an Infected’s head, missing him by inches.

The monsters turn and, moaning and screaming, start running at the three survivors.

Alvin used 6 bullets, Jordan used 4, and Maxwell used 2.
Round Two

Alvin curses and fires the gun at the approaching horde, letting out a longer burst this time. Five rounds sink into the center of the pack, and three more zombies go down.

Maxwell takes careful aim again and fires, praying that the gun won’t jam again. It doesn’t; another Infected falls from the right side of the group.

Jordan shoots the zombie furthest to the left and scores her first hit. Screaming, he goes down in a burst of blood.

The Infected seem to pick up speed the closer they come. Gibbering, they charge ahead. Of the remaining twelve, four are close enough to reach the survivors. Two of them charge Alvin, who is the loudest of the group due to his burst firing. As they come, he tries to stab one with his bayonet, but misses. The monsters claw and bite at him, but he dodges and blocks them by raising the barrel of his gun.

Another Infected, this one wounded from Alvin’s burst, charges Jordan. She manages to bring up the butt of the gun and hitting him on the chin, hard. There is a loud crack as the Infected soldier’s head snaps back and he falls to the floor.

Maxwell meets the final charging Infected head on, swinging his gun horizontally and hitting the zombie on the temple with the stock. The zombie crumples to the floor, dead.

Two Infected are attacking Alvin while eight more are still on their way.

Alvin used 11 bullets, Jordan used 5, Maxwell used 3.
Round Three

Alvin stabs his bayonet forward, catching the closer Infected in the chest. It continues to attack for a moment before its body realizes that it should be dead; then it suddenly goes limp and falls over.

Maxwell fires at one of the charging Infected again, not daring to shoot into melee for fear of hitting Alvin again. He fires at the nearest Infected on the right and scores a hit, sending it down.

Jordan follows suit, and manages to hit another Infected. Only seven zombies remain.

Alvin’s remaining opponent attacks, but is easily blocked. Two of his companions, however, manage to charge up and attack Alvin. He turns left and stabs one through the chest with his bayonet, but the other comes at him from behind and scores a nasty bite on Alvin’s shoulder. ((4 damage))

A single zombie charges Jordan, but she nimbly sidesteps it and brings down her gun on the back of its head, sending it down to the ground.

The three remaining zombies all charge Maxwell. He knocks one to the ground with a blow that nearly takes its head off, but the others reach the tall firefighter. He swings his gun around and, though he doesn’t manage to hit either one hard enough to damage, he prevents them from attacking him.

From deeper inside the facility, you hear the sounds of more Infected. The sounds of your fight has alerted them to your presence here.

Round Four

Alvin swings his bayonet around and slashes his attacker’s neck. Then, without stopping, he continues the motion, cutting deeply into the other. Both Infected fall down, dead.

That would be a natural 20, or critical hit! Since these zombies don’t have enough hitpoints to survive a crit, I decided to let it equal two kills.

When Maxwell blocked his attackers, he managed to push one of them away. Far enough away to be shot at without risking hitting Maxwell. Jordan sees this, and decides to take her shot. She fires her gun and the zombie crumples to the ground, dead. Maxwell swings the gun over his head and brings it down on the last remaining Infected, killing him.

You have one full clip left. Alvin’s clip has nine bullets left; Jordan has 15; Maxwell has 17. Alvin is bleeding badly from his bit shoulder, but the bite doesn’t seem to be too deep.

Before you can really regroup, you hear the screams and shouts of the Infected deeper in the facility. They’re getting closer, but for the moment, the way ahead is clear.

Thank you, but don’t worry about it. It’s just tons and tons of work, back in the real world. I got badly swamped this week, but that shouldn’t happen again for a while.