Doper/Bikers Unite!...or It's Daytona Bike Week!!!

Are there any dopers doing Bike Week this year? I’ll be there for the weekend of March 9-11. I’m sure this would be an interesting dopefest! AWWW, come on guys and gals, it’s been WAY too cold and nasty in the northland, you OWE it to yourselves to come to sunny Fla. in March and PARTY!!!

All right, let’s here the excuses.

later, Tom.

I know hubby plans to ditch work and ride down with a bunch of friends. Having experienced Biketoberfest, I’m not too interested in Bike Week, but he really really wants me to be there, so I may have to make an appearance over the weekend. It’s rough when partners don’t share enthusiasm for all things… I’d rather just stay home and read while he’s doing whatever he intends to do in Daytona.
<sigh>

Excuse number 1: I already burned up my vaction time for this year.

Excuse number 2: Unfortunately, I am unable to ride at the moment. Seems I blew a lower disc, and my rigid is just none to forgiving on this sort of thing. So until they re-wire my back, I have to stick to cages. damnit. let me know how things are at “Trailer Week”, though. I keep wanting to make that one, but it never seems to work out. Of course, since I blow all my vacation time like a kid on allowance day as soon as I get it, I shouldnt be suprised that I never get to go.

Here are some pics of my ride though.
http://www.texasblues.net/bike/PanL.jpg
http://www.texasblues.net/bike/PanR.jpg

Badger

Ehm - will “it’s on another friggin’ continent” do as an excuse ?

S. Norman

What, they aint got airplanes over there?

hflathead I may be able to put on the leathers and ride up to the frigid north into Daytona, maybe just make a day or an overnight out of it. Set the meeting place and we could quaff a few. I don’t know how to spell excuse.

bdgr Nice ride! I had an old '49 FL some years back. But it had been put on a swingarm frame, with a few other mods, so it was a little smoother than original.

I’ll be there, for all of one day. I’m coming down On Thursday night, ariving on Friday afternoon for the Iron Butt party and then leaving on Sat. I might stop in Savannah on the way back though so I wouldn’t get home until Sunday.

I’ve got a group of friends who are doing the Iron Butt…absolutely amazing! I told him I’d send some doughnuts an Preparation H to the party!

Thanks. This ones a '53…well most of it, anyway.
I found the frame to this one, sitting in some guys flowerbed with a for sale sign on it. He had the front end in the garage, so I bought it too. I think the total was about 300 for both. Then I just started collecting parts till I had enough to put it togeather. I really miss riding…I just kills me walking past the row of harleys out side the gate at work, and having to drive my car home. Y’all have fun at Daytona.

What do you ride now?

[low tones so’s not to be heard to far away]My butt is currently residing on a 97 1100 Shadow ACE (Honda’s Harley). After an economic crisis of Biblical proportions (yes, I divorced her), I had to sell the good bike. I’m working my way back, though. [/low tones so’s not to be heard to far away]

No shame in riding a honda, but didn’t you ever here it’s cheaper to keep her?..I just got through reading Sonny Bargers book, and he even said that he didn’t agree with all the predjudice against jap bikes.

I actually let out a good “whoop” when I picked up the current ride (I got it for a song). But I’ve been on enough hogs to know the difference between what I’ve got and what I want. It’s just different.

I ride with Harleys now, and I rode with Jap bikes when I had the Harley. I WON’T ride with those stuck up types who reject non-hogs out of hand, glad to hear you’re not one of those. I still have my H.O.G. membership, though, for Fly-N-Ride trips.

FCM-It looks as tho there may be a few takers on a get-together. Keep watch here for further developments. I’d like to have a beer and talk bikes or boats!

OK Spiney, I guess that one counts!

bdgr- sorry bout the disc, I’m an L5-S1 club member. I know I was concerned about riding the flathead, but the pogo seat does help. Nice wheels, especially for a crate/parts/pieces bike. What did you name this flowerbed bike? Bluebell?

UncleBill & Edward- I’m going to try and get out of work at noon on Fri. 9 Mar. and ride up from Cocoa Bch. Main Street is going to be a zoo, and the old iron heats up to much for that traffic snarl. Pub 44, Last Resort, or ? (formerly Squeeze Inn) are all in the same area and not so crowded to hang and have a beer. I’d like to get the e-mails of interested folk and we can exchange info, cell/beeper#'s.
Nothing wrong with riding non-harley, just as long as your riding(and ready to take the good humored ribbing!)

Hey, this might be fun.(Yeah, like ya gotta look for fun at Bike Week!)

later, Tom.

Sure, I could get there - but there’s a shortage of airlines willing to accept a Duc 748 as carry-on luggage. :)And leaving her at home is unthinkable, sorry.

BTW I’m not at all surprised to see that bike brand chauvinism is not a trait of SDMB bikers. Is this a great board or what ?

S. Norman

I got friend who rode a 400 jap bike all the way from here(Fort Worth, Tx.) to sturgis. He’s about six four, and that ride must of been hell. When he got there, some yup had the gall to give him crap about riding a jap bike. Before he could say anything, somebody saw texas tag, and said “He rode that thing all the way from Texas, and you trailored yours. So shut the f___ up.” My sentaments exactly. I got another friend who rode a 500cc jap all the way from LA to here, non stop. (except for gas). I would put them up against any weekend warrior yuppies anyday.
I started riding a BSA, that was a great bike, but just a little bit two small for (I’m 6’6", 385 pounds), or I’d probably still be riding it. I loved that bike…/sniff

Well, I’ll see if I can convince my sweetie that he should come along and meet a bunch of people I don’t know… He thinks I’m nuts when I do stuff like that.

For the record, his motorcycle is purple and real real pretty… lots of chrome… shiny…
OK, so I can’t do ditzy too well. He rides a Royalstar, and at one time it was a show bike - it’s pretty much tricked out with everything you can get chromed or leathered. He also commissioned a bit of artwork on the back of his leather vest - Bike Week will be its big debut.

I dunno - I’m more comfortable at boat shows…

L5-s1 exactly. They got me doped up on vicoden till I can get in to see the neurosturgeon. Got any pics of the flathead? I got a friend who has a whole shop full of flat head 80 motors. See, he likes to buy parts for his shop when he’s intoxicated…explains the J-model motor in his display case. So if you need parts, He can probably hook you up…Bluebell huh?..I’ll have to think about that
one…

L5-s1 exactly. They got me doped up on vicoden till I can get in to see the neurosturgeon. I had a pogo that I was gonna put on this one, but everyone I ever sat on, I just bottomed out anyway. They made those things for little folk.
Got any pics of the flathead? I got a friend who has a whole shop full of flat head 80 motors. See, he likes to buy parts for his shop when he’s intoxicated…explains the J-model motor in his display case. So if you need parts, He can probably hook you up…Bluebell huh?..I’ll have to think about that
one…

It’s Ducati?!!..It should be able to jump the pond on its own. You don’t need an airline.

heres an interesting article by I found by The good doctor about a test ride on one.

http://www.gonzo.org/sausage_creature.txt

It’s Ducati?!!..It should be able to jump the pond on its own. You don’t need an airline.

heres an interesting article by I found by The good doctor about a test ride on one.

http://www.gonzo.org/sausage_creature.txt