Doper Specialties Resource

Would anyone be interested in a list of board members and their related specialties?
For example I could say “I’m zoid - I have a MS in Industrial Engineering and I’ve been a software development PM for 15 years. Feel free to invite me to threads where you think my opinion might be of use”.

Would the board allow this?
Might it be a sticky in ATMB?
Is there a significant enough number of members here who would be willing to share this info and chime in on related threads to even make this sensible?

Hmm … . no disrespect to you but that’s something we maybe need to discuss. We’ll get back to you soonest.

How could you possibly check out the claims?

Prepare for an onslaught of official bikini inspectors.

Prepare for an onslaught of challenges: “So and so couldn’t possibly be an expert in such and such-just look at what she/he wrote in this post!”

I’m an expert at everything, if anyone is interested.

I’ve got a Doctorate Of Everything, so why should anybody listen to you?

Good point.

Dunning-Kruger effect

Also known as “never trust a self-nominated expert”

I was only an expert the year after I graduated college. It’s been downhill since.

So, you’re an expert skier then?

Or an expert faller down of hills.

ETA: If no one else wants to take on the challenge I’ll be the Expert Faller Down of Hills.

Or you could just bump this thread - or this one. . .

Why you little expert thread finder you!

Oh, no! It’s just that once over the hill, you pick up speed.
I’m now an expert on aging. I’m doing it as quickly as possible, it seems.

And all this time I thought you were on the level.

I think most people figure out on their own who the various experts are, pretty quickly.

Perhaps experts should be nominated by others, and the nominee could accept or decline?

After some discussion we’ve decided that the way we do things now – unofficially, without management attempting to vet people or maintain lists or anything like that, that’s really the way to go.

We depend upon all of you to use your common sense and good judgment when determining someone’s bona fides – and we don’t want to get involved in that process.

And management, of course, is not responsible. As previously stated:

Good call. I can only imagine the headaches this could cause if we list people as legal, medical “experts” in some sort of official stickied thread, and then it comes back to bite the SDMB in the ass, registration agreement be damned.