DopeZine vol. 1: The Long Bust

About the Authors

… no effort of Creation occurs without its Creators and this project is no exception. Without the following nine people, there is no Dopezine, and I appreciate every single one of them for signing on to this journey. To that end, I asked each one of them to write their own author blurb and, with no order other than alphabetical, here they are:

Ann_Hedonia: SDMB member since 1995. Small business owner 1996-2019. Retired since 2020. Slacker since 1957. Enjoys reading, writing, yoga, birdwatching and transforming laziness into an art form.

Beowulff: SDMB member since 2001. Electronic equipment designer. Macintosh expert. Glue aficionado. Owned by several dogs. A true amateur of photography. An insufferable know-it-all, but the ‘Dope has shown me that’s OK.

Broomstick: SDMB member since 2001. Pilot, artist, writer, and collector of trivia. Avid reader of science fiction and science fact. Owned by several parrots over the years, currently kept by two.

Exapno_Mapcase. SDMB member since 2001. Future Historian. Science fiction writer. Marx Brothers fan. Owner of 10,000 books and counting. No, I haven’t read them all. Yet.

JohnT: SDMB member since the AOL days back in 1998, Gen-X slacker wannabe, proud father of Sophia, and proud dogfather to Luna. Subscribe to my Substack! Buying a franchise and never owned a business before? For the love of God, url=[https://thefranchiseskeptic.com/]talk to me[/url], please!

Martini Enfield: SDMB member since 2006. Historian, writer, coffee drinker, and Australian - but keep that last part quiet, because otherwise everyone will want one.

Max_S: SDMB member since 2017.

Ruken: SDMB procrastinator since the Spring 2003 exam season. Sometimes-chemist. Believer in Santa. Skeptical of the existence of electrons and time.

solost: SDMB lurker since ?, member since 2010. Excellent cook, halfway decent web developer, bad guitar player. Nature lover (except for mosquitoes and ticks).

In addition, I would like to thank the current crop of moderators and junior moderators (you know who you are, lol) for keeping the culture lively and on-mission. The Board has been a going concern for well over 20, possibly 25 years now, and it has done so through a long list of volunteers dedicated to fighting ignorance, regardless of how much longer it’s taking than originally estimated. This is not an easy job, it is bound to make every one of us frustrated at one time or another… but keeping this place going for 25 years is a notable achievement, and definitely not something predicted in 1997. Thank you.

Lastly, our love and memories for both @Jonathan_Chance and @TubaDiva, both of whom guided this Board and made sure things didn’t get too out of control. Without them, the Dope feels a bit hollow, and their loss impacts us all. And it is to them, and all the too-many Dopers who didn’t make the full 25-year journey, that this effort is dedicated.

Their Long Boom is just beginning.